Canadian travel insurance ?s

Tiger926

DIS Veteran
We normally book with our TA at Sears Travel, but she's not in today so we might book with DCL directly for our first cruise (yeah!!!) Disney insurance is too costly, and we normally get RBC Travel insurance with our TA, but what do we do if we book ourselves? Any other good insurance coverage out there - only need cancellation/interruption as I am a teacher and have excellent Green Shield medical coverage for out of country. My DH works for TD/Canada Trust so he wants to check with them tomorrow as well. Also, does insurance have to be purchased at time of booking, or can it be purchased later?

Thanks, Tiger

Hi there... in the past we have got ours from CAA. I am not sure if they ahve what you need, but it might be worth a try...:)

Some credit card providers offer trip cancelation as long as you pay using that card. I believe if you want trip cancelation insurance, you have to purchase it within a week of booking your trip ... but it's probably different for each insurance company.

Our Gold Elite VISA does actually have trip cancellation and we put our entire trip on there so we are covered. The problem is that no one sells cancellation on its own. I have been researching this for a week now - I also discovered that Canadian and US insurance laws are different. In Canada you must (I haven't actually read the Insurance Act, but all travel agents tell you that it has to be purchased at time of booking) purchase insurance right away, whereas in the US you do not. Read through a bunch of policies and found some great Internet sites, and I discovered that even though most of us buy travel insurance and expect to be covered, there are still a million exceptions. Plus, if you are driving to your destination like we are (and many of you do), you have to have proof of the day of departure so that your trip interruption insurance can begin - proof would be gas, toll or hotel receipts. The policy does not say this, but I called and asked and this is what the claims adjuster told me.

All very interesting - but the most interesting is that you can't buy trip cancellation insurance on its own - it seems to always be bundled with trip interruption (which actually can be purchased on its own!) We are going to have to take a chance because if we purchase cancellation/interruption from TA this would be redundant as we already have interruption insurance on VISA - not to mention that it would cost almost $200.00 for something that we don't really need - cancellation would be good, but if something were to happen such as a death, we wouldn't be too concerned about losing money since we wouldn't be interested in going on a trip anyway. If anyone has any more info, or knows how to purchase cancellation insurance on its own, please let me know. Hopefully all will be fine!

Tiger

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter