Canadian DVC member - adding on Direct?

doidster

Earning My Ears
Newbie question:

We just recently finalized our first DVC contract via resale but we are wanting to add on a small number of points direct from Disney in order to get the perks that we don't get buying resale.

The last time we were at WDW in January, we were told at the booth that we wouldn't be able to buy a contract direct from Disney from home (in B.C., Canada). They said we would have to wait until we return to make a purchase. I'm wondering if it's the same (but hoping it's not) for adding on points.

I'm not really interested in adding points from Aulani or Poly, and I know that if I want to purchase at another resort, it would be subject to availability. So my question is basically, if I can't purchase from home, then how would I get points from a sold out resort since those points can't be guaranteed to be available during my next vacation?

I believe it is the same for adding on points. A point add-on is a new contract, so it's really not different.

Yes it's the same for adding on points. They are licenses to sell in some countries and not others

Is there more than one WDW resort that you would consider purchasing direct? I have to believe that they would have at least one resort (other than Poly or Aulani) that they could offer for a direct purchase of 25 points.

Have you checked to see if DVD could sell you what you want in California? Or Hawaii? I'm thinking they could sell to you there as well as in Florida,and maybe a trip to one of those places is less expensive or already planned. You wouldn't have to be staying at the DVC resort - just visiting the sales centers there.

Otherwise, I think your only option is to convince Disney to go through whatever process your government requires to authorize local sales of the resort you want. (most unlikely, IMO).

Congrats on your recent purchase and welcome home!

Thanks everyone. That's what I was afraid of. We really wanted to buy into VGF, but from what I understand, points can be hard to come by, so if there are no available points on the week of our vacation I guess we're out of luck. On the plus side, I would be really interested in buying in to the new Copper Creek Villas, so hopefully that's an option for us next year. :)

It's correct that if they aren't registered to sell then it doesn't matter if it's the initial purchase or an add on. I live in Nevada and they aren't register to sell several of the properties here although they have gone thru the process on all the newest ones.

VGF is REALLY hard to get direct. Might be the hardest.

Word of warning -- if you do a direct add-on and you're going to do it at a different resort than your current home resort, I'd advise doing more than 25 points (especially at VGF). Even with banking and borrowing, the 75 points doesn't book you a whole lot.

I bought VGF via resale (280 points) and then did a 25 point direct add on for BCV thinking it would be good to have for F&W -- only problem is that I'm limited to studios and only for a few days. Basically, I can do 5 non-weekend nights every 3 years in a studio. I should have done 35-50 in order to provide more flexibility. Yes, it would have cost more up front, but the added expense is relatively speaking not that large and would have given me a lot more flexibility.

If you're just going to add-on at the same home resort -- then 25 points is the way to go.

It might be BC, because we can buy direct, addons in Ontario. My agent calls once a year asking if we are adding more.

When we were first looking into DVC, we were talking to a Disney DVC agent. He knew we were from Canada (ON) and didn't make it sound that we were unable to purchase because of where we lived. I think there is an agreement with Ontario and Florida in terms of real estate because of all the snow birds that live in FL for many months of the year during the winter.

When we were first looking into DVC, we were talking to a Disney DVC agent. He knew we were from Canada (ON) and didn't make it sound that we were unable to purchase because of where we lived. I think there is an agreement with Ontario and Florida in terms of real estate because of all the snow birds that live in FL for many months of the year during the winter.

This. As on Ontario resident adding on was as easy as picking up the phone and calling in. Point were in our account the next day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter