Canadian Buffoon's DISmeet vacation - 09/14 - Bowled Over

While Liesa and I were standing in line,
I kept looking at all the paving stones...

My husband and I have one of those bricks at WDW. My aunt got it for us way back in 1998 for our wedding. It's somewhere at the TTC but the last time I looked they had moved a bunch around and I couldn't find it.

but what the heck is that other thing.

Darn, I knew immediately that it was Grizzly Peak but you guys figured it out before I could look smart. :rotfl:

Well, I sashayed.
I believe the others sauntered.

I think for me it's more of a prance. You know, half skip/half walk when you want to run but are too much of a responsible adult to do so.

I must admit, that while my
heart belongs to the MK version,
I do like the grounds at DL.

I definitely prefer the WDW version mainly because it's longer. I just want them to add the Hat Box Ghost at WDW.

I know we did Pirates next...

:sad: This one was closed for renovations the one time I visited DL. But like you said a few times, guess that's a reason to go back again! I think I would go more often if it wasn't such a long flight.

And thus endeth the educational
component of this chapter.

I actually did not know that and found it fascinating.

We trooped to the Plaza
and we ordered two
dinners of fried chicken

Man, something else to go back for. We did breakfast at the Plaza because I wanted to do the character meal. No fried chicken on that buffet.

And... did you see it?

Yep, All Aboard!

WOW I ALMOST MISSED THIS UPDATE. Didn't get the notification.

And I couldn't figure out what I was looking at!
I mean... okay, I can see Snoozing Trollop's castle,
but what the heck is that other thing.

I wanted to shout Grizzly Peak but you seemed to found it out.

Honey! I'm home!

Well.... Disneyland doesn't feel
quite as "home" as Disneyworld...

But it is growing on me! :)

Don't worry, one day this will be home to you. It's cozier.

Right away, my eye got caught
by a pretty floral display.
After a visit to the first aid
station, they pronounced my eye
saved and I set out once more.
This time I avoided having my eye
caught and just took a photo.

That's gorgeous, every time I go it does not look like that :confused3:confused3

A true sashay takes years
of dedication and practice
and few master.

Is there a class or something like that? I would love to learn.

The tiny castle:

This should read "The Original, Superior, Size isn't everything" castle

And when Liesa pointed out
that there was a grand total
of two people in line for Dole whips.

I haven't been craving dole whips until now.

Well, you're wrong.
HM is the best ride.

Again, I think this is a typo. Indiana Jones is not spelled HM

Mark Twain is, as you may know,
a pen name for Samuel Clemens.
He picked the name from
steamboat vernacular.
A crewman would lower a Marked
rope (marked in fathoms or six-foot intervals)
into the water and if the
water was deep or deeper than
the second mark, or Twain mark,
that meant it was deep enough
and safe enough for the ship.
The crewman would call out
"Mark Twain!"
The captain would know
they were safe.
And thus endeth the educational
component of this chapter.

This is a interesting fact! I thank you for this.

They announced that the ride was down.
Again.
And as far as I know...
it stayed down for the rest of the day.

Worst feeling in the world. It happened twice with BTMR on our first trip.

The ladies decided that it
was time to get their churro on.
And then I made a fatal error.

Now I also want this, but I always want churro's.

Dang, that's some mighty
fine fried chicken!

I've never heard anybody talk about the Fried Chicken, scale of 1-10?

It sounds like a very relaxed start to your day.

It was!

Was it hard to slow down?

It was!

:lmao:

I always want to ride the boat too, but there is always more options to do and we never seem to fit it in.

I honestly thought I'd never ride it.
But when someone
(might even have been me! :eek:)
said "Let's ride it!"...

Off we went!

It seems like something the kids might enjoy though.

Hmmm.... I dunno.

I remember taking my DDs
on a paddlewheel here in Winnipeg.
They were crazy excited at first...
But after a few minutes, they
were so bored and wanted to get off.

Good thing it was only a couple hours long.

:rolleyes2

We loved Pirates at Disneyland.

::yes::

Did you also notice the difference on BTMRR? We liked Disneyland's version better too.

Actually... Not really!
I know there were some, but...

It's such a fun ride that
I'm just hooting and hollering
and not paying too much
attention to the differences.

Next time (next time!)
I'll pay more attention.

:goodvibes

I'm so sorry you didn't get on Splash.

I'm not.
Because now I can say
"Well, missed Splash.
Have to go back."

;)

I have a funny story for you... We went to Disneyland this past September. My parents tagged along with us so we had both sets of grandparents. Well, I was having a hard time riding with my kids. My DH took our little one on Pooh and I was in line with both sets of grandparents and my other four kiddos. So we get to the loading platform and I tell them I am riding with my kids. So I climb aboard the boat with my four kids and the grandparents are standing looking at us launch bewildered. They get in the next boat behind us. There were 5 solid adults in that boat. Both sets of grandparents and a single rider grown adult. Now I had read that you tend to get more wet on Splash at Disneyland so I was prepared for the big drop (which honestly seemed smaller than Disney World's). So I had a great ride with my kiddos and we come to the big drop. We head down and barely get splashed. Huh? Oh well. We had a great ride singing and enjoying the ride together. So we waited at the picture kiosk for the grandparents. We find their picture, which is funny, but it is nothing compared to the sopping wet grandparents that were marching towards us. They were drenched. Top to bottom, ringing out their shirts and shorts and hair dripping drenched. The kids and I laughed so hard. They were definitely none to happy. My FIL just kept saying how I should have given them some kids to make the weight of the boat not so heavy so that they wouldn't have taken in so much water. They actually thought I did it on purpose because I knew they would get soaked, which made me laugh harder. Anyways, when you go back try and ride with grown ups for the full soaking!!!!

:laughing:
I can just see them!
"You could've warned us..."

:lmao:

Oh, and Marvin looks good on the train!

;)

Get some rest.

I did! I slept a whole 8.5 hours last night!
Haven't done that in weeks.

Sorry to hear you were stuck at work! (But not really surprised with how busy you've been lately!)

Yeah, well.....
My job is 24/7/365.
So working a holiday
is pretty normal.

We spent our weekend on PEI and Nathan painted for a small Canada Day event in Rustico, not too far from the touristy Cavendish are

Nice! I've never been to PEI.

It seemed like everyone and their dog was there, ( :dog2:pug: literally,) and we got to spend the day meeting mostly fun, kind, down-to-earth people.

Sounds like you had a nice time. :)

And listening to cover bands. ALL the cover bands. Over the course of the day, I counted three different guys who'd shot men in Reno just to watch them die, and 4 men and 2 women who wished to be rocked like wagon wheels! :rockband: But was nice to be outside and making friends with other Canadians. I count it a win!

Okay....I don't understand that last line...

shot men in Reno just to watch them die?
wished to be rocked like wagon wheels?

Are those lyrics from songs (that I don't know)?

Glad you had a good Canada day!

Thanks so much!

:laughing: I wondered if anyone would read that and be confused! But you're right on the money—they're references to song lyrics. The first one is from "Folsom Prison Blues" by Johnny Cash:

When I was just a baby
My Mama told me, "Son
Always be a good boy
Don't ever play with guns, "
But I shot a man in Reno
Just to watch him die
When I hear that whistle blowin'
I hang my head and cry

The second is from "Wagon Wheel," originally by Old Crow Medicine Show (and I think also Bob Dylan?,) but recently made more popular by Darius Rucker:

So rock me momma like a wagon wheel
Rock me momma any way you feel
Hey, momma rock me

They're songs that tend to be done again and again by cover bands around here...done to death, really. I would be shocked if I went to an outdoor summer event with musical entertainment and didn't hear someone sing "Wagon Wheel" at least once all day.

Okay I didn't get the references either.
I do know "Wagon Wheel",
but didn't know Rucker's version
was a cover.
One of the (very) few country
songs that I like. :)

My husband and I have one of those bricks at WDW.

Really! That's cool!

My aunt got it for us way back in 1998 for our wedding. It's somewhere at the TTC but the last time I looked they had moved a bunch around and I couldn't find it.

Nice gift. :)

Is there maybe a location
list that could be referred to?

Darn, I knew immediately that it was Grizzly Peak but you guys figured it out before I could look smart. :rotfl:

Sorry!
Next time I have a question,
I'll just wait until the ADR
before asking.

I think for me it's more of a prance. You know, half skip/half walk when you want to run but are too much of a responsible adult to do so.

I think I like you
just a little bit more
all of a sudden.

:goodvibes

I definitely prefer the WDW version mainly because it's longer. I just want them to add the Hat Box Ghost at WDW.

I like WDW's version too.
But... sure!
Let's add in the Hat Box Ghost! :)

:sad: This one was closed for renovations the one time I visited DL. But like you said a few times, guess that's a reason to go back again! I think I would go more often if it wasn't such a long flight.

Too bad, but...
Yep.
Ya gotta go back.

I actually did not know that and found it fascinating.

Aaaaaaanddddd...
You're welcome!

See???
I serve a useful purpose!

Man, something else to go back for. We did breakfast at the Plaza because I wanted to do the character meal. No fried chicken on that buffet.

Yep. Worth it.
Gooood chicken.

Yep, All Aboard!

WOW I ALMOST MISSED THIS UPDATE. Didn't get the notification.

Speaking of which...
I probably got the notification
for yours...
and then forgot.

Sorry!
I'll get to it soon.

I wanted to shout Grizzly Peak but you seemed to found it out.

Why does everyone else
know this????

Don't worry, one day this will be home to you. It's cozier.

I dunno...
I've pretty much got a
soft spot in my heart for WDW...

That's gorgeous, every time I go it does not look like that :confused3:confused3

You should go when I go, then.

Is there a class or something like that? I would love to learn.

I'm afraid not.
It's a super secret
organization with very
strict admittance rules.

This should read "The Original, Superior, Size isn't everything" castle

Size isn't everything???

Yuss!!!!!!

er...

I mean...

Oh, really? Interesting.

I haven't been craving dole whips until now.

Me too.
I only crave them when I'm awake.
Unless I'm dreaming of them.

Which is often.

Again, I think this is a typo. Indiana Jones is not spelled HM

(you're still wrong)

This is a interesting fact! I thank you for this.

More facts in this TR
than you can shake a stick at!

Which, by the way,
is a phrase that originated
in the early 1900s
when cars were started
by using the gearshift...
or stick.

Worst feeling in the world. It happened twice with BTMR on our first trip.

Man, that sucks.
Splash goes down, I can live with it.
BTMRR goes down?

There's gonna be trouble!

Now I also want this, but I always want churro's.

I've never heard anybody talk about the Fried Chicken, scale of 1-10?

Hmmm...
I'm gonna have to say around 8
with just being in Disney
adding +1 to make it that.

That's assuming you've had
excellent fried chicken
(which I have) that would
be a ten.

happy-4th-of-july-fireworks-animation-43.gif

Happy 4th of July
to all my US readers!

Nice! I've never been to PEI.

I recommend it. :) It's a nice spot in the summer, if a little touristy in spots...or a lot touristy. Islanders tend to take life a little slower and treat their interactions with people in a more friendly way. Time just feels like it slows down a bit on PEI. We really like to camp there, or to rent a cottage somewhere on the water, do campfires and barbecues, hit the beach, etc. And the Island is so small that you can usually get almost anywhere you want to go within an hour.

Okay I didn't get the references either.
I do know "Wagon Wheel",
but didn't know Rucker's version
was a cover.
One of the (very) few country
songs that I like. :)

I actually like it, too! Or at least...I did. I may change my mind before the summer's out, depending on how many more outdoor festivals we end up doing with live bands. :laughing:

Thanks!

<goes back to whining, cowering dog in the corner>
Ours isn't quite that bad, but she definitely doesn't like them. When I came in last night (yes, I was shooting them off too), she looked at me with the "You're done, right?" look. :rotfl: She doesn't want to go out if anyone else is though. This morning, she was REALLY ready to go out and was on my case when I hit the snooze.

Is there maybe a location
list that could be referred to?

You know, I bet at one time they did have a location map for these. I do remember being given an approximate location when we first got it. Plus they are numbered which helps to find them. But I know our brink has been moved at least twice due to changes around the TTC. I have a feeling that Disney didn't keep up with where they were moved too. Here's a picture of it from our Honeymoon in 1998.

You can see that they are (sort of) in numeric order there so it was easy to find.

And here's one from my trip in 2010 which was the last time I was able to find it.

A bit on the worn side after 12 years! The bricks were no longer in order in 2010 and it took me, my Mom, brother and sister in law quite a bit of searching to find it. I did go back one more time a few years later but that was around the time they removed the automatic ticket kiosks at the TTC and the bricks had been moved again. I was with Mom that time and we were on our way from O'Hana breakfast to Epcot and didn't spend a huge amount of time looking. We never did find it that time.

Why does everyone else
know this????
Because we all saunter instead of sashay. Means we're smarter. I could tell you my IQ if you'd prefer.
:rotfl2:

I dunno...
I've pretty much got a
soft spot in my heart for WDW...
Nothing wrong with that at all.

You should go when I go, then.
I'm trying. I know you weren't talking to me, though.

Me too.
I only crave them when I'm awake.
Unless I'm dreaming of them.

Which is often.
And by often, you mean all the time?

Ours isn't quite that bad, but she definitely doesn't like them. When I came in last night (yes, I was shooting them off too), she looked at me with the "You're done, right?" look. :rotfl:

She doesn't want to go out if anyone else is though. This morning, she was REALLY ready to go out and was on my case when I hit the snooze.

Well, really. How dare you!?!?!

I recommend it. :) It's a nice spot in the summer, if a little touristy in spots...or a lot touristy. Islanders tend to take life a little slower and treat their interactions with people in a more friendly way. Time just feels like it slows down a bit on PEI. We really like to camp there, or to rent a cottage somewhere on the water, do campfires and barbecues, hit the beach, etc. And the Island is so small that you can usually get almost anywhere you want to go within an hour.

I'd love to go to PEI...
Just costs me an arm
and a leg.
And Disney's already
taken those, so.... :confused3

I actually like it, too! Or at least...I did. I may change my mind before the summer's out, depending on how many more outdoor festivals we end up doing with live bands. :laughing:

You know, I bet at one time they did have a location map for these. I do remember being given an approximate location when we first got it. Plus they are numbered which helps to find them. But I know our brink has been moved at least twice due to changes around the TTC. I have a feeling that Disney didn't keep up with where they were moved too. Here's a picture of it from our Honeymoon in 1998.

Certainly can see the difference
in it then to "now".

You can see that they are (sort of) in numeric order there so it was easy to find.

I did notice that.

A bit on the worn side after 12 years!

But still legible.
Your last name is
hard to read, though.

:rolleyes:

I did go back one more time a few years later but that was around the time they removed the automatic ticket kiosks at the TTC and the bricks had been moved again. I was with Mom that time and we were on our way from O'Hana breakfast to Epcot and didn't spend a huge amount of time looking. We never did find it that time.

Hmm...

Makes me wonder if they
ever remove some and...

Simply don't put them back.
"Oh keep looking!
I'm sure it's there somewhere!"

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter