Canadian Buffoon's Back to Front Vacation - Update! 05/18 - Falling Down

As I predicted, I spent a little time at work today doing some digging... I think I'll log this as a "reference question" :laughing:

For you, and any curious readers...

Chalet Artistic Glass, Ltd. was established by Venetian glass blowers who emigrated from Murano to Montreal. In 1958, they established a factory named Les Industries de Verre et Miroirs, which was changed in 1960 to Murano Glass – Canada’s first handmade decorative glassware company. In 1961, the business relocated to Cornwall, Ontario due to tax and location incentives. In 1962, the company changed its name to Chalet Artistic Glass – a statement to consumers that it was a Canadian company that produced Canadian designs for Canadian tastes. They produced 20+ styles of lead crystal and 400 items of glassware, including tableware, glass animals, and other decorative pieces. They even offered up to six tours of the factory each day! The company was featured in the Expo ’67 world’s fair. This Maple Leaf was part of a line commissioned by the Honorable - pardon me, Honourable - Lionel Chevier.

Chalet Artistic Glass_Maple Leaf commission.PNG

Sadly, the company folded in 1975 after failing to survive the energy and inflation crises. Some of the artisans returned to Italy while others were forced to seek employment outside of their field.

From what I can tell, each piece is an original – though a common design was used, no two pieces are identical. Pieces would be either etched with the company logo or – even more often – marked with a foil sticker. So, especially neat that yours was etched! Here are a few more images I was able to wrangle up from materials we have here in the library.

Chalet Artistic Glass_Swans.PNG
Chalet Artistic Glass_three pieces.PNG
Chalet Artistic Glass_yellow piece.PNG

As I predicted, I spent a little time at work today doing some digging... I think I'll log this as a "reference question" :laughing:

::yes::

Chalet Artistic Glass, Ltd. was established by Venetian glass blowers who emigrated from Murano to Montreal. In 1958, they established a factory named Les Industries de Verre et Miroirs, which was changed in 1960 to Murano Glass – Canada’s first handmade decorative glassware company.

Cool!
And... I'll be darned!
While my back prevented
me from realizing a bucket
list item of going to Murano...
A little piece (sort-of) came to me! :goodvibes

n 1961, the business relocated to Cornwall, Ontario due to tax and location incentives.

Oh, my God...
So that's why there were
so many factories there.
I was there in the late
80s/early 90s...

And it stank.
I mean... it really stank.

They even offered up to six tours of the factory each day!

Sign me up!

The company was featured in the Expo ’67 world’s fair.

Not even a little bit surprised.

This Maple Leaf was part of a line commissioned by the Honorable - pardon me, Honourable

thank you.

Sadly, the company folded in 1975 after failing to survive the energy and inflation crises.

:(

Well... poop.
Guess I gotta go to
Murano after all.

From what I can tell, each piece is an original – though a common design was used, no two pieces are identical.

::yes:: That's what I read, too.

chalet-artistic-glass_three-pieces-png.382185

That one on the right is
very similar to mine. :)

Thanks for doing all that
research, Tracy!
You're the best! :goodvibes

I could be. Depends on what commissions might look like? :lmao:
:rotfl:

Actually, I'd be happy to help you if I can.
You're awesome! I will keep this in mind... ;) :hug:

While my back prevented
me from realizing a bucket
list item of going to Murano...
A little piece (sort-of) came to me! :goodvibes
Sure did!

So that's why there were
so many factories there.
I was there in the late
80s/early 90s...
Yep, this definitely explains that.

thank you.
Most welcome, kind sir. ;)

Well... poop.
Guess I gotta go to
Murano after all.
Darn it! Guess so :rotfl: You really need to - the place is magical. Not the same magic as Disney, but magic nonetheless.

Thanks for doing all that
research, Tracy!
You're the best! :goodvibes
I was so happy to do so! :goodvibes Anything for you! :hug:

I know I'm suuuuper late to this party, but better late than never right? Trying to catch up and see what you've been up to. Seems like a lot!!!

I don't like them.
But... some really do.
It's a Canadian thing,
you like 'em or hate 'em.
And I'm not offended
if you fall in the "hate 'em" camp.

Still trying to get caught up, but I had to comment on this, I am a Canadian and not a fan of the Ketchup chips either. However, Hickory Sticks are a true Canadian snack food that I can get behind.

Oh, and a proud Pennsylvanian, I have to say we do have some pretty terrific snacks like

she happened to mention... Utz.

But, personally, one of my favorites is:

download.jpeg

Try them next time you're in the area. They're delightful and addicting!

I know I'm suuuuper late to this party, but better late than never right? Trying to catch up and see what you've been up to. Seems like a lot!!!
Just a tiny bit. :)

You haven't been here
since last year!

:lmao:

(I know. Old joke.
I still like it.)

Still trying to get caught up, but I had to comment on this, I am a Canadian and not a fan of the Ketchup chips either. However, Hickory Sticks are a true Canadian snack food that I can get behind.
mmmm… Hickory sticks.

I can't eat them right now.
I've decided to try and see
how long I can go without
eating chips.
And hickory sticks,
while not chips,
are potato based so...
They're a no go.

I miss chips.
Haven't had any since
November 2015.

Oh, and a proud Pennsylvanian, I have to say we do have some pretty terrific snacks like

But, personally, one of my favorites is:

View attachment 382447

Try them next time you're in the area. They're delightful and addicting!

I have news for you, then.
1. We have them here.
2. I love those!
Pretty easy for me to buy
a bag and scarf 'em all down. :goodvibes

If I go... and my back goes out....

I'm crawling there.
It would be a good use of your time and energy... well worth it. ;)

And... careful what
you offer.
:rotfl:

You and others (looking at you @buzzrelly based on your recent update with glassblowing!) may be interested to hear that there's going to be a Netflix series called Blown Away airing later this year. I would not, however, recommend Googling just those terms... :scared1: Instead, check out this blog post my museum just posted. Looks like it'll be awesome! And... looks like you lucky Canadians will get first dibs on seeing it. :thumbsup2

You and others (looking at you @buzzrelly based on your recent update with glassblowing!) may be interested to hear that there's going to be a Netflix series called Blown Away airing later this year. I would not, however, recommend Googling just those terms... :scared1: Instead, check out this blog post my museum just posted. Looks like it'll be awesome!

Thanks for sharing this! We will definitely watch this when it comes on. So, you know some of the featured people and judges? That's really cool :thumbsup2

Had to look up hickory sticks.
In the US we just call them potato sticks and they usually come in a can not a bag.
DW loves them. I like em well enough, but not my go to snack.

It would be a good use of your time and energy... well worth it. ;)

Well.... YEAH!!!!

You and others (looking at you @buzzrelly based on your recent update with glassblowing!) may be interested to hear that there's going to be a Netflix series called Blown Away airing later this year.

Umm... hello????

popcorn::

I would not, however, recommend Googling just those terms... :scared1:

:scared:
I have no idea what that
could be... and it sounds
like I don't wanna!

Instead, check out this blog post my museum just posted. Looks like it'll be awesome!

Okay... that looks great.
Same as "Forged in Fire"
(which I've only seen
one or two episodes)
or similar in format, anyway.

And... looks like you lucky Canadians will get first dibs on seeing it. :thumbsup2

I gotta see if we have
Chanel 107!
But I won't find out
until I get home from
work in... 16.5 hours!

Had to look up hickory sticks.
In the US we just call them potato sticks and they usually come in a can not a bag.
DW loves them. I like em well enough, but not my go to snack.
So what is?

So what is?
Dole whips and bacon!!!

Actually, I guess what I should have said is if I'm having chips or something chip like, potato(or hickory) sticks wouldn't be my first choice.

If I'm wanting something salty, its usually some type of nuts vs chips.

Dole whips and bacon!!!

Actually, I guess what I should have said is if I'm having chips or something chip like, potato(or hickory) sticks wouldn't be my first choice.

If I'm wanting something salty, its usually some type of nuts vs chips.
Interesting.
I'll eat nuts, but...
I sometimes have problems
with them.
So I'd take pretzels first.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter