Can you tell me about POR pool?

onceuponadream

<font color=0000cc>Keeping fingers crossed<br><fon
We are considering staying there in June (vs. AsMo or CR wing). We liked POFQ but like to try something new. Is the pool very big? We probably won't go over to POFQ to use their pool as we have 4 little ones in tow. Is the slide being renovated (thought I read that somewhere)? Any news as to what it will be like? Any other tips/suggestions....is the resort as spread out as CBR or CSR? Thanks for any help!

They are currently renovating the main pool at PO-R, but when we were there in October, the pool was fairly large, but divided into 2 sections by a bridge with lattice work underneath. The slide entered the more shallow area.

However, originally, the pool was all interconnected, and you could swim under the bridge from one area to the other... the bridge had safety issues, was closed from pedestrian traffic, and the no longer allowed anyone to swim underneath, hence the lattice work. Hopefully, the refurbishment will return it to its former form. I have heard that they are also putting in a new slide.

You will enjoy this pool regardless. We found the area to be very nice, with shade trees, to get out of the hot sun, and a nice pool bar with cocktails, sodas and snacks next to it. Also, to one side is a great playground, and a fishing hole for the kids. The pool is located on an island in the middle of the resort, so the loudness from the pool never disturbs any of the guest rooms. There are also 4 other quiet pools situated back near the guest buildings (2 in Magnolia Bend and 2 in the Bayou area), plus you are welcome to use the pool at PO-FQ with the serpent slide, as well!

eeyore0062--thanks for the info! I was wondering which you prefered as you've stayed at a few of the places we are currently debating beetween. We are trying to decide between ASMo, POR, CSR and CR garden wing. Our main concerns are convenient transportation to the parks, a nice pool to cool off and convenient food choices (some type of "food court"). We liked CBR a lot but found the 7 bus stops made a realy long trip home with the 4 little ones (we were in Trinidad North). Also, MIL and FIL prefer being a little closer to the food court area than we were for quick cups of coffee and drink refills etc. POFQ was nice too (no complaints at all) but we want to try something different.

As we've never gone to Disney in the summer (usually March 2nd week) we are really worried that the heat and crowd level may make it necessary for us to be able to get back to the resort to "escape" more than usual. We typically are park commandos and only go to the resort for an occasional swim (twice at CBR) and to sleep.

You seem to be such a wealth of info any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks:D

Hi Sandy:

I think you'll like POR a lot -- and your kids will love it. I have an 8 year old DD and POR is her current favorite. While we've not stayed at a deluxe, we have done POFQ, POR, and CBR. I felt CBR was too spread out -- that was our first on-site stay several years ago. POFQ is my personal favorite, but our DD likes POR's pool and playground much better. We were there most recently in October and they are, I understand, rehabbing the pool now. The lifeguards told us that the pool would have a longer, better slide. I'm not sure when it is supposed to be done.

Have a terrific visit.

Thanks Sandi! I was hoping to hear that the "new slide" would be a nice one as my DS is 11 and the one at CBR was a little bit too small for him. We were considering the All Stars as an alternative. I appreciate your help!:)

OnceUponADream, we have stayed at both PO-R and the Contemporary Garden Wing. Although we really liked PO-R, I have to give the edge to the Contemporary, even though it doesn't have a themed pool.

These are our reasons:
1) Convenience... walking distance to MK, monorail is right there to take you to the TTC, where you can transfer and hop on the Epcot line... also we found the busses to be super convenient to everywhere else!

2) The rooms are very large, and have 2 queen sized beds, and a daybed in each, as compared with 2 double beds, and perhaps a trundle, which only serves children about 41/2 feet and smaller.

3) Even though you will be in the garden room, there still isn't as much walking as in most of the moderates (PO-FQ is the exception).

4) There is a fantastically huge game room on the ground level which adjoins with the counter service restaurant. We really enjoyed the counter service, as well as the coffee bar, found on the ground level under the esculators.

5) There are 3 full service restaurants within the Contemporary.

6) The bathrooms are huge, and have the best layout we have found on property.

7) Onsite childcare in the evenings, on the ground floor, near the counter service and game room.

8) Great view of the MK fireworks from the deck.. you will have to ask exactly where it is, as they have changed it.

9) Great view of the Electrical Light Pageant... we could actually see it from our beds. We had a Bay Lake view in the south wing.

10) Huge selection of shops.

11) Two large pools, the one near the snack shop has a new slide! The other pool is shaped like a bullseye and is surrounded by Bay Lake, which is pretty cool! There are also 2 hottubs.

12) Water taxis to the other MK resorts, as well as the WL, Fort Wilderness, and the MK.

I guess you can tell what our choice would be, if we weren't limited by budget!

If budget does come into play, don't worry, you will like PO-R--- it really is VERY beautiful. The pool will be newly refurbished, plus you will have 4 quiet pools, and the Serpent slide pool at PO-FQ.P PO-R is highly themed, has a decent restaurant and food court, and there is the boat to Downtown Disney in the evening. The bus service wasn't too bad, either... but there are 4 stops as you go around the loop, and often the bus will stop at PO-FQ before it gets to the PO-R stops, so if you are at the last stop, it could be standing room only, if there is room at all. We never ran into that problem, though!

Whatever you decide, have a great time... I know that you will, afterall, you will be in Walt Disnely World!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter