Can you take your RV on the Chesapeake Bay brigdee

goofyrabbit

Mouseketeer
We are driving from NJ and will be coming over the Lewes Ferry so we won't be as close to I95. We have heard mixed responses about taking our 30 ft RV thru bridge. It states restrictions on their website but it still seems unclear. We have a small tank of propane.
Can anyone let me know if they have gone thru bridge without a problem.
Also, if we can't is it a long way to get back onto I95.

Thank you :cool1: :banana: :Pinkbounc

I never have but we have friends with a 30 ft. travel trailer who like to go to Cherrystone. They said the bridge-tunnel was no problem.

Having made this mistake once, let me tell you the tale. We decided to do the CB Bridge with our trailer. As listed, you must have all pilot lights and gas turned off etc... We were ready for all that by reading the rules from a previous brochure. What we didn't count on was that although it was a sunny day, the day was also windy. After getting to the bridge, we waited 3 hours along with the trucks and other trailers... Out on the bridge, the wind was too strong according to officials, so trailers and trucks were stopped until the wind died down to their acceptable level. Needless to say, I'd avoid it if I can. Believe me... Standing around doing this :rolleyes1 for three hours was less than vacation like...

I didn't think they held traffic back but I guess thats a good thing but not the waiting time. My DH really wants to take this route but if its to much of a headache than we will just ride out to I95. So that means you can use the bridge. I think we have a 30 gal tank. Where did you get a brochure that gave you instructions?

Your Woodall's lists restrictions.
There is a limit on how much propane you can travel with on the bridge tunnel. But we have done it- because we only carry 1 tank and it is off during our travel time.
Good Luck and Do What is Right for You! :flower1: :flower1: :flower1: :flower1: :flower1: :flower1: :flower1:

Is the ferry very expensive with a trailer? Are you planning to visit Delaware?

95 is not so bad! The part I dislike the most is actually Philadelphia, which isn't a problem for most people and easily avoided if you go over the Delaware memorial bridge.

Where in NJ are you?

We drive our motorhome from NH to Ft Wilderness. We have taken a couple of routes one being NJ turnpike, RT 13 through Deleware/Maryland and over the chesapeake Bay Bridge. All you have to do is shut the propane off. As long as you don't have a tank larger than (I think) 16 gals.

Luckily we didn't hit wind. We timed it so that we would be going over the bridge at daybreak. It was just beautiful. It was light enough where you could see but still dark enough that the lights on the bridge were on.

The one thing that is a bit scary is that the tunnels are narrow. They are only 2 lane (1 lane each direction). Our motorhome width with an oncoming tractor trailer truck is really tight. We share the driving and I'm so glad it was my husbands turn. We only met 2 trucks in the 2 tunnels so it wasn't bad. I'm sure it would have been worse during the day when there is more traffic. Just a heads up.

You didn't say which way you would go after the tunnel but we took route 58 (I think) over to Emporia, VA where we picked up I95. We found the traffic through Norfolk tolerable during the hour we went through (roughly 6:30am).

We would be going southbound. THe price for out trailer is 36$ that includes the driver and RV. and then depending on the ages your guests $4-$8. The only reason we usually take this is for my husband to get a rest in the parking lot as we wait for the ferry and than the ride over. Its also a nice ride in the spring. We will be going Easter week.

Goofy rabbit... If you search for the Chesapeake Bay Bridge and Tunnel, you'll get their web site. The info in the brochure is all there. I tired to hot link to it,but for some unknown reason this site will not allow you to post URL's until you pass a magical number of posts... And I apparently haven't written enough yet...... :confused3

Personally, I'd recommend just taking the 295 Bridge to Delaware (Del. Memorial Bridge), then taking I95 down. While its certainly prettier to drive down and take the Ferry and the Chesapeak Bay Bridge Tunnel, it's WAY more expensive and time consuming...

For instance, the Ferry costs for (25' to under 35' ft. vehicles) is $31.00 - $36.00 for the vehicle and driver, PLUS $3.00 to $8.00 per person additional (depending on age and season).

Then, with the ferry, you'll have to arrive and check in 30 minutes to an hour before the scheduled departure, then the travel time (80 minutes one way), then the disembarking time can be up to another 30 minutes.

Just my 2¢.

Gillian said:
95 is not so bad!

I would agree that for all its faults, I-95 is still the most direct way to go to Florida. We have done the bypass thing even going so far as swinging way out west to I-81 down through VA and then cutting across NC/SC on I-77 and picking up I-95 again in the middle of the state via I-26. We also bypassed DC/Baltimore by going across VA using US 301 on into Annapolis, MD and then back to I-95 in Delaware. Each time we missed lots of traffic but added significantly to the time it took to complete the trip by going through small towns or getting behind a truck on a 2 lane road, etc. Sure there are times when we have been unlucky and someone has broken down and there is a fender bender and traffic backs up on I-95. However, on balance, all the detours I have taken delayed me longer than traffic.

Where are you at in Joisey? We make the southern run several times a year. If you're on the coast, you can always travel across 40 in NJ and hit the Delaware Memorial to 13 to 301. 301 is nice and its scenic with no traffic and less hectic. You'll get back on 95 just before Richmond and then I definitely reccomend the 295 bypass around Richmond. Sometimes I'll just stay on 95 through Richmond and usually regret it every time due to all the merging traffic. Anyway, once around Richmond, its pretty much smooth sailing until FLA unless you get a major pile up on 95 in Georgia. We've detoured on 1 and have saved ourselves many hours from being stuck in traffic by doing that and listening to the CB radio.
Good luck and enjoy your trip! :cool1:
PS Make sure you fill up in Georgia before going into Florida, major gas shock! :rotfl2:

If you go 95S I have heard the Key Tunnel in Baltimore and the old Harbor Tunnel in Baltimore will not let propane through. That some have taken the new Key Tunnel and been fined. If you go, you might go around the west side of 695 or the east 695 will take you over the Key Bridge from Baltimore County to Anne Arundel county. 301 is a pleasant drive over the Cheaspeake bay bridge not the bridge/tunnel. You will hit traffic depending on the time of day around cities, Annapolis, Bowie and Waldorf. You will go over a bridge into VA over the a two lane, quite high "Nice Bridge". We always pull over this bridge even with oncoming tractor trailers easily. We have a 250 deisel and a 29 ft. TT. If you use gas, gas is cheaper in VA. This will help you avoid Washington. Depending on what time of day you might be going through this may be a plus for you to try coming this way. Hope this helps.

We live on the Eastern Shore of MD and we always take the bridge tunnel when we travel South.

What we do is call just before we leave in the a.m. to check if there are any wind delays - never had one yet, but the last time I thought maybe we would - it was windy!

This is just the shortest route for us our only draw back is all the little towns / stop lights / speed decreases you go thru on the Eastern Shore of VA.

We love the bridge tunnel - great site seeing!

Hope you have fun either way you choose to go.

TmnsnMD :wave2:

Our plan (leaving thursday before Easter, I think) is to take 295 S to the Delaware memorial bridge and then down 95. I have to figure out the route around baltimore/dc.

I'm glad you posted, because it didn't even occur to me to think about the propane! Where do you check for these things?

We just have a tiny tank on our popup.

We went to the RV show in Raleigh last night. Cherrystone had a booth there. I asked the guy this same question. He said the main bridge-tunnel is not checked for propane. Just make sure you have your tanks turned off. The only problem you would occur is the wind (according to him).

He said something about another tunnel connecting Norfolk (I'm not sure where this one is). Supposedly if you go through this one they pull you on the other side and slap you a fine.

If you take 95 South you have to take 695 around Baltimore. You can not have any propane at all through the tunnel, no matter what the size. You'll be turned around and possibly be fined. The 695 bypass is marked well and its only about 15-20 minutes extra travel time. 95 is definitely the faster route but very hectic especially around Washington. You need to be through there by 3PM or you'll be guaranteed a lot of traffic. 301 can also have its share of traffic especially when hitting some of the small towns however it opens up pretty quickly and definitely a more enjoyable ride. Whatever way you go, enjoy the trip! :moped:

Thanks Buzzcut! I am not very familiar with 301. Does that avoid all of the problem tunnels?

We are probably stopping in Springfield for the night, even though it isn't very far. We have friends there that we don't see often.

So our route will be 295 S to Del memorial bridge to 95 to ?? to springfield, LOL. I have some time to research it.

Hi Gillian- glad to hear your getting that rv to Florida!
Here's my 2 cents maybe only 1cent by the time I'm done. lol
When traveling 95- your options are either the 2 tunnels, key bridge or drive around 695 beltway. First two don't allow propane?, key bridge subject to wind restrictions or 20min around beltway with no traffic. Rush hour is 7a-9a or 4p-7p. 301 thru Crofton, Waldorf and LaPlata is plagued by traffic lights now. The area has really been built up and we take ugly 95 just to not stop and go - eats gas terrible stopping alot with rv. Ahhh- now there's DC...495
Rush hour starts at ~5am-9am and 3p-8p. Only thing to be said is when your not stopped and in park sitting during rush hour your expected to go at least 80mph on that thing. Did I mention how many lanes there are. :teeth:
Long story short- We ALWAYS aim for night driving thru DC.
Good Luck and Do What's Right for you.
:flower1: :flower1: :flower1: :flower1: :flower1: :flower1: :flower1:

p.s. Richmond's got a nice rush hour too on rotton pavement also. we take the 295 bypass.

Gillian said:
Thanks Buzzcut! I am not very familiar with 301. Does that avoid all of the problem tunnels?

We are probably stopping in Springfield for the night, even though it isn't very far. We have friends there that we don't see often.

So our route will be 295 S to Del memorial bridge to 95 to ?? to springfield, LOL. I have some time to research it.

Yes 301 lets you avoid the bridge problems as well as Washington traffic. As stated there are some slow spots on 301 but its really not that much of an inconveinence. Good luck and PM me if you need any further info.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter