can someone explain this new technology stuff?

luvmyfam444

DIS Veteran
I have heard that Kodi is good - but I don't know exactly what it is - I read where someone suggested cutting cable & getting it & Sling tv.

I have no idea what Kodi is. My gut tells me that when you get a cable workaround you still are sacrificing some of the advantages of cable. It may be cheaper, but it's likely not as easy as cable.

It's exactly as Micca described plus you can stream every TV show/movie from around the world. It may or may not be legal (dependent on country), or moral depending on your stance on getting something for nothing, and piracy.

Well sling TV is cable over the internet. One big issue is how it interfaces with your TV. It looks like it can use a number of devices like ChomeCasts but now you are using an app to control your TV. Not sure if any TVs support it directly.

Other issue is that to get your local it looks like you would probably need to get an antenna and hope you get a good signal. I just don't think these internet cable companies are main stream for the average user that doesn't know about chromecast and how to hook up a computer to a TV.

My Son has no cable tv only internet. He "finds" things online and can use our Fios "cable" account to access things from various websites.

Last edited:
Never heard of it. Although from the website it just looks like media center software. It doesn't appear to actually supply content.

https://kodi.tv/

from kodi

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.

It appears that the Kodi device* is like a Chromecast in that it can play Sling TV on your TV. As I posted above the major hurdle with all this cutting the cord is getting something from your computer screen to your tv screen.

I just caught up on some shows that are online, that I could only access because I had a Fios account that I chromecasted to my TV. Picture was better than the SD I would normally watch it but the audio was just a little off.

*ETA: Ok maybe its only software. Don't have time to figure out how it connects to your TV. They talk about 10 foot connections and remotes.

ETA2: Ok I'm lost. http://kodi.wiki/view/10-foot_interface

Last edited:
It's exactly as Micca described plus you can stream every TV show/movie from around the world. It may or may not be legal (dependent on country), or moral depending on your stance on getting something for nothing, and piracy.

Yes you have to "find" them and then worry about the traps that may install crap on your computer.

Kodi thoughts....
  • Kodi is the same XBMC software found on Android TV boxes.
  • Kodi allows to consume content on your laptop or computer, without paying for additional hardware
  • not all Android TV boxes are pre-configured for the add-in's. You need to configure the boxes the same as configuring your computer.
  • content quality varies
  • https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kodi_(software)

As some have stated, Kodi iteslf is just Media Center software you can use for managing media files on your computer or stream to your TV. It can be used on many devices, including some streaming devices like a Roku and also phones and tablets. The use of the software as intended is perfectly legal.

However, you can direct Kodi to access Internet locations that can provide you with streaming of lots of content. Depending on what it is, it may or may not be legal to do this. It is a lot like using a bit-torrent client in that it streams from multiple hosts, only you don't have to wait for the full file to complete before you start watching. Like using a torrent, the file you are viewing may or may not be pirated.

Now, I understand Kodi's position that it is 100% legal to use as intended, but let's face it, most people are trying to use it for other purposes. Some people I know do use it, however I have not been impressed with the quality of the video when they have showed it to me. Also, like torrents, there is the potential for malware to show up. Personally, I don't really advise using it like this at all.

I think you need to start with what you want to watch. If you just want to eliminate a cable bill, you can do that pretty easily. You just get an over-the-air antenna like in ye olden days, and then add in Netflix, Apple TV, Sling, Amazon Prime, etc.

I think you need to start with what you want to watch. If you just want to eliminate a cable bill, you can do that pretty easily. You just get an over-the-air antenna like in ye olden days, and then add in Netflix, Apple TV, Sling, Amazon Prime, etc.

We didn't even add Sling. We already had Netflix/Hulu. We are in a pretty small town and still get around 4 antenna stations. Add in some others (we also watch a lot more DVDs), and have never looked back.

We didn't even add Sling. We already had Netflix/Hulu. We are in a pretty small town and still get around 4 antenna stations. Add in some others (we also watch a lot more DVDs), and have never looked back.

I forgot to mention Roku. We don't have all of these. We have borrowed Roku for some sporting events I believe. When teams get into the post-season, and those games are shared by different cable stations it gets tricky. We have the mixed luck of not having to worry about that too much. ;)

Assuming you can get OTA channels, NONE where I live (boonies) no matter how good an antenna I buy

Assuming you can get OTA channels, NONE where I live (boonies) no matter how good an antenna I buy
You and me both. I wind up just suspending my DTV account after the Walking Dead ends and turning it back on for football season, the only two reasons I still have DTV. During the suspension, we watch Roku stuff, Netflix, Amazon Prime and DVD's.

We tried Sling, but as we are in the boonies, internet is too slow to stream it properly. Pixelated and buffering.

You and me both. I wind up just suspending my DTV account after the Walking Dead ends and turning it back on for football season, the only two reasons I still have DTV. During the suspension, we watch Roku stuff, Netflix, Amazon Prime and DVD's.

We tried Sling, but as we are in the boonies, internet is too slow to stream it properly. Pixelated and buffering.
Roku & Prime rely on internet also don't they?

Roku & Prime rely on internet also don't they?
Yes. For whatever reason, Sling required too much. Prime is usually ok, but I won't lie, it buffers and loads more than I'd like. We generally only have one channel on Roku that drives us bat poop crazy to try and watch, most stuff on Roku plays fine.

We would like to be able to watch cable shows - HGTV, news & football. We have had Roku & Netflix about 8 years I guess, have Prime, but everything on there we want to watch costs, so we rent occassionally. Tired of Netflix since everything is old.

We would like to be able to watch cable shows - HGTV, news & football. We have had Roku & Netflix about 8 years I guess, have Prime, but everything on there we want to watch costs, so we rent occassionally. Tired of Netflix since everything is old.
You can forget football. It's about the only reason we keep DTV for the half year we do.

Next step is to find out if you can get an OTA signal.
Also, I think Verizon allowed free streaming of NFL games last year.

We still have ATT Uverse but we also have a Roku for watching Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, HBO Go when my sister visits and the free PBS Kids Channel. It's very easy to install, takes up very little room and so easy to control my 6 year old can use it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter