• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Can someone confirm or deny... something for me? Is a trip next year possible for 2022?

LovesTimone

Christmas Day 2017
I was talking to a neighbor and I was unaware that her son is in married to a French girl for the last 15+ years, and lives in or near Lyon, ... and when I had mentioned us hopefully going back next April and May, she was like I doubt it, and ... She said his opinion is... "with the vaccine's are very slow getting out, and that the government is dragging their feet as with everything. He told her that he feels the lockdown will continue the rest of the year into the well into 2022 ... before anything opens up and that even then that Americans and other tourist will still not be allowed...and for her not to plan on coming until 2024 or after to visit them..."

Now this is just one person opinion...

Thoughts anyone...?

I was talking to a neighbor and I was unaware that her son is in married to a French girl for the last 15+ years, and lives in or near Lyon, ... and when I had mentioned us hopefully going back next April and May, she was like I doubt it, and ... She said his opinion is... "with the vaccine's are very slow getting out, and that the government is dragging their feet as with everything. He told her that he feels the lockdown will continue the rest of the year into the well into 2022 ... before anything opens up and that even then that Americans and other tourist will still not be allowed...and for her not to plan on coming until 2024 or after to visit them..."

Now this is just one person opinion...

Thoughts anyone...?
I would say realistic and probable but everything is fluid, and nothing is certain. I would not be planning travel more than 6 months in advance.

I would say realistic and probable but everything is fluid, and nothing is certain. I would not be planning travel more than 6 months in advance.

So you feel, his assessment is a fair one given on how things are progressing at this stage?

We are looking at next May2022 .. so the real question is am I wasting my time researching something and hoping that most likely is not going to happen ... and should look else where for a trip next year?

So you feel, his assessment is a fair one given on how things are progressing at this stage?

We are looking at next May2022 .. so the real question is am I wasting my time researching something and hoping that most likely is not going to happen ... and should look else where for a trip next year?
no you are not wasting your time, HOWEVER at this stage I would not be researching specific hotels , restaurants, things to do places to see.

I would be focusing on Frances recovery from Covid. You need to be checking on a weekly basis whats happening in France, things like their vaccination progress, the reopening of hospitality, is non essential travel allowed and what new policies and procedures the French Government have implemented for travel within France, and for international / European travel.

Have you read this website https://www.gouvernement.fr/en/coronavirus-covid-19

This information is valid from 1 February 2021.
On this website you can find information and guidance from the French Government regarding the current outbreak of coronavirus disease COVID-19 in France.

A nightly curfew is currently in force in metropolitan France. Between 6PM and 6AM you may only leave your residence for the following reasons and with an exemption certificate:
  • Commuting to and from work, school or training place; carrying out essential business trips that cannot be postponed;
  • Medical appointments that cannot be carried out remotely or postponed;
  • Essential family reasons, assisting vulnerable persons, persons in a precarious situation or taking care of children;
  • Persons with a disability and their accompanying person;
  • Judicial or administrative summons;
  • Participating in a mission of general interest upon request from an administrative authority;
  • Air or rail transit related to long distance journeys;
  • Walking a pet outdoors within 1km of one’s place of residence and for a brief amount of time.

I am not as pessimistic as your friend, I think 2024 is overdoing it. But international travel is far away, I hope it will be possible this year, but I sometimes doubt it.

I am not as pessimistic as your friend, I think 2024 is overdoing it. But international travel is far away, I hope it will be possible this year, but I sometimes doubt it.

I really don't know this neighbor very well, they moved in about 6 months ago, and she and I get on quite well,... She and her DH apparently travel back and forth to France to see their son, and his wife and grandkids at least twice a year. She has some amazing pic's of their travels throughout France... and has given me alot of ideas on what we want to do when we go back...

I also hope that international travel starts to open up in the last half of this year... Unfortunately I don't really see it happening...until maybe ....just maybe the last quarter of the year...

The vaccine availability will vastly have to improve world wide before we can see international travel starting up again... Just looking at how long it took my parents to get the vaccine, It took them trying for 3 weeks just to get registered and their number, then they waited 5 weeks for their number to be called... to get first vaccine finally last week they got it, and thankfully they have the next appointment set up...

Then looking at what are the rules going to be once it does open, and each country will be different... Showing proof of having the vaccine, how will that be handled?... so much to think about... for sure...

I can't see it opening up till Aug/Sep at the earliest. Currently the UK is on track for its hospitality industry to open in June. But as you can see France is so behind on vaccine numbers. 558467

With the news that other cities are going to go into a harder lockdown and the UK found variant being the one that's now becoming wildly the most popular it's going to be a long time.

But plan and plan as your have all the knowledge you need.

I can't imagine the current state of affairs lasting into 2024.

My daughter's university is planning for summer '22 to be the term when most study abroad programs are able to resume, with the possibility of some programs being offered for the winter/spring term (which would start in Jan. '22). Emails from them have also discussed the possibility that spring and summer program participation might be conditional upon vaccination. I assume that information/advice is based on contacts with host universities and facilitating organizations, not just guesswork, so I'm using it as my general operating assumption at this point.

I don't even want to think about it, ugh ...

Though, I'm not having a good eye on it for this year, and maybe still first half of 2022.
More countries are even concidering a vaccin passport (even within Europe).
I may not be able to get it untill end of the year, beginning next year, depending on how fast they are going.
And also, depending on if I want it. (I'm all for vaccins, but prefer the ones who have been around for a while, and know what they do after a few months, which we don't know yet with this one).
My parents are in Belgium, haven't seen them since 12/2019.
I really want to go back to DLRP too.

But either way, I think having negative test results or proof of vaccination will be the norm sadly.
(obviously good to have a negative test)

I don't even want to think about it, ugh ...

Though, I'm not having a good eye on it for this year, and maybe still first half of 2022.
More countries are even concidering a vaccin passport (even within Europe).
I may not be able to get it untill end of the year, beginning next year, depending on how fast they are going.
And also, depending on if I want it. (I'm all for vaccins, but prefer the ones who have been around for a while, and know what they do after a few months, which we don't know yet with this one).
My parents are in Belgium, haven't seen them since 12/2019.
I really want to go back to DLRP too.

But either way, I think having negative test results or proof of vaccination will be the norm sadly.
(obviously good to have a negative test)
I don't think people should expect DLP to open up until late summer. The vaccine rollout in France and EU is painfully behind the USA and UK. We are seeing a explosion of new cases in parts of France and people in France are hostile to vaccines in general.

I spoke to my neighbor who is high up in Eurostar and she has been told that DLP Eurostar trips probably won't go ahead until October.

Bon jour

Op here... its been awhile.... I have to say I have been severely discouraged, then I saw this

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ean-travellers-summer.html#i-5f1974b2631bd9f6

So this is really the first breath of fresh air or anything positive on international travel that I have seen... I am truly hoping that we can see this come to fruition in a few short weeks... yet everything is still up in the air...

DH and I both are all done with our vaccines... and have our vaccine cards... This was another bright light moment...

I have to say, that I miss traveling so much that I have been watching French shows or films with sub titles... lol... just listening to dialog and the seeing the beautiful country side, and seeing the streets of Paris... is a real pick me up for sure... listening helps me with my own basic learning of the french language...

So out of the clear blue DH said... it's looking good for travel next year... get on your planning cap, and get started... for May 2022... I was like okay... I am going to start a new post most likely next week, so we can all start fresh, and have something to look forward to...

Au revoir...

How exciting!!! May 2022 sounds achievable for you guys and at least you already both have the vaccine. It's wonderful to have a date to aim for and the park looks so pretty in the Spring (as does the rest of France of course!). I wonder if we will all still need masks by then? I have a feeling they will be the last restriction to be lifted worldwide. I am taking my 2 DDs to DLP in February 22 - cold but it falls within their school half term (short break) and is very inexpensive so we can have a better (closer to the parks) hotel and lots of sit down meals. It's the first time we have visited at that time of year, we usually choose May/June as it's less busy, parks look great and the weather is much milder. You'll have a great time :flower1:

I think if the EU has learnt to be pro active by Xmas your be fine. It's election year next year and I think the president will do alot to move stuff. Please do avoid traveling during the actual election and a few days after (it not a fixed date but latest is 2 weeks after 22nd April). The French love a strike and this is just extra strike ammo! I can also see both sides getting a bit angry and depending on the next few months of how the virus goes it could be quite violent.

It variants we will be worried about by then if the vaccination rate is high enough (the French will struggle with community immunity). So keep an eye out this autumn for a 3rd jab.

I really do think your be going though, just aim for after elections!!!

I think if the EU has learnt to be pro active by Xmas your be fine. It's election year next year and I think the president will do alot to move stuff. Please do avoid traveling during the actual election and a few days after (it not a fixed date but latest is 2 weeks after 22nd April). The French love a strike and this is just extra strike ammo! I can also see both sides getting a bit angry and depending on the next few months of how the virus goes it could be quite violent.

It variants we will be worried about by then if the vaccination rate is high enough (the French will struggle with community immunity). So keep an eye out this autumn for a 3rd jab.

We were planning on going between the 11th and 18th of April in 2022 to coincide with Spring Break and the 30th Anniversary of Disneyland Paris. Is there any chance the election will fall between those dates?

We were planning on going between the 11th and 18th of April in 2022 to coincide with Spring Break and the 30th Anniversary of Disneyland Paris. Is there any chance the election will fall between those dates?
That's during the first round of elections, so I wouldn't worry too much about that. Spring Break is also not the biggest contributor for that week, only the Southern region has their Spring Break then, Paris and the North are the weeks after.

The anniversary is going to be your biggest bottleneck for crowds.
I do hope this is not going to be your first time at Disneyland Paris, because for 2022 that's going to be one of the worst times to go.
For a first visit in this week, I would either go the 11th or wait for the 18th. Definitely avoid 12, the actual birthday and 16 & 17, the first weekend. It's going to be busy and the 12th is going to be insanely busy.
Rides might be okay during the week, as most of the AP holders and fans will be there for the special entertainment, but to walk around, find places for shows etc. I wouldn't advise it.

To get an impression of the crowds on the 12th. Here 2 videos from the 25th anniversary

That's during the first round of elections, so I wouldn't worry too much about that. Spring Break is also not the biggest contributor for that week, only the Southern region has their Spring Break then, Paris and the North are the weeks after.

The anniversary is going to be your biggest bottleneck for crowds.
I do hope this is not going to be your first time at Disneyland Paris, because for 2022 that's going to be one of the worst times to go.
For a first visit in this week, I would either go the 11th or wait for the 18th. Definitely avoid 12, the actual birthday and 16 & 17, the first weekend. It's going to be busy and the 12th is going to be insanely busy.
Rides might be okay during the week, as most of the AP holders and fans will be there for the special entertainment, but to walk around, find places for shows etc. I wouldn't advise it.

To get an impression of the crowds on the 12th. Here 2 videos from the 25th anniversary

Thanks for the advice. It will be our first time, so I might change our dates then. The kids only get that one week off for school, and I wanted 3.5 park days and 3.5 Paris days. Maybe I can wait until June instead. They get out of school at the end of May. I do have some other questions if you're able to answer them. I was trying to do a mock booking the other day and it was allowing me to book a meal plan. Today, it no longer allows that. Do you have any idea why? Also, if I book a package and a better deal comes up later, can I get the rate modified or will I have to cancel the original reservation and rebook. And if I cancel and rebook, is there a fee for that? I want to book as early as possible to get the best deal, but I am afraid a better deal could come along later as well. Thanks for you help.

Thanks for the advice. It will be our first time, so I might change our dates then. The kids only get that one week off for school, and I wanted 3.5 park days and 3.5 Paris days. Maybe I can wait until June instead. They get out of school at the end of May. I do have some other questions if you're able to answer them. I was trying to do a mock booking the other day and it was allowing me to book a meal plan. Today, it no longer allows that. Do you have any idea why? Also, if I book a package and a better deal comes up later, can I get the rate modified or will I have to cancel the original reservation and rebook. And if I cancel and rebook, is there a fee for that? I want to book as early as possible to get the best deal, but I am afraid a better deal could come along later as well. Thanks for you help.
The booking terms are different due to covid at the moment but I believe normally there is a fee. I think June is a lovely time to go. Dining plans are not like the American ones and are quite limited. Sometimes they do have offers for stays with food. But I'd hold off for booking until winter.

If Disneyland Paris is going to be an important reason to visit and you can move your dates, I would do it. School holidays in France start the 7th of July. So June should be good, definitely when you go during the week.

You will never know if there will be a better deal at a later date. That's a bit of a gamble. I would wait with booking till the park reopened at least, when things get a bit more stable. Best you can do to check deals is to change the country settings, and see if there are good deals for Germany, Spain, France, Belgium, the UK/Ireland etc. usually the US website shows the most expensive deals.

We are looking at a travel date of April 28 th thru the next week, which is the first whole week of May... so 10 days... we are not set in stone at this point... Do you think that this will be a fairly good time to go?... This is the best option for us...

This will be our second trip to France, and we understand about the strikes the last trip, Air and Trains were on and off strike the whole time... even with planning around the strike calendar.

As far as a booster we don't have any problem getting that... We both have had both vaccines...

We are looking at a travel date of April 28 th thru the next week, which is the first whole week of May... so 10 days... we are not set in stone at this point... Do you think that this will be a fairly good time to go?... This is the best option for us...

This will be our second trip to France, and we understand about the strikes the last trip, Air and Trains were on and off strike the whole time... even with planning around the strike calendar.

As far as a booster we don't have any problem getting that... We both have had both vaccines...

I think the dates are good. It's just the elections you need to be aware of with strikes. Are you staying on site? If so I'd be less concerned. Once your in the magic I've never known cast members to strike when I've been - it's more the transport.

Yes we will all have to have a booster I think this autumn. The EU is going out of its way to criticize the UK/Sweden made one so if they can get hold of enough phizer / russian stuff then I'm pretty sure your good to go. Just keep an eye out for vaccine levels over the summer/Autumn. The French are very anti vaccine in general and it could cause short sharp flare ups where heard immunity is not reached in the future.

I really hope you have a great time, I hope to make the use of my annual pass next year at some point! But alas I'm in the UK so I cant see me getting any use till November.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter