can it get any worse

Ali and boyz

DIS Veteran
went last in what was our sons first visit abroad since his accident and the relations we went with had never been and hated it and made our holiday awful. So much so that my Mum took a stroke. She has came on greatly and we all decided to go again this year just the 6 of us with no other family members to upset and spoil our holiday. We just found out today my Dad has cancer which is in the very early stages and they will treat with pills and injections. He is desperate to get with us on holiday as is my Mum. Anybody got any experience travel with this being okay. We aren't going until July

sorry I also posted this on the UK forum as I wasn't sure it should be for help

I don't have any experience with the health issues you mentioned, but I just want to send a transatlantic hug :goodvibes for such the rough time you've been through! Try to think of the positives: your dad's cancer was caught in early stages, your mom survived her stroke and it sounds like you're a very close family. It's great that both your parents want to take the trip with you!

I know there are people on these baords who have dealt with some of the issues you're facing and I'm sure they'll post soon.

Sending you best wishes!

Karla B. pixiedust:

thanks for the hug :goodvibes Karla. I go from panic mode to calm mode :) my sons accident was really bad and it has made us stronger. I just prey they will get with us. My husband is going for his works medical next week so I am going to get him to speak to the family doctor to see if he thinks they will get. just know they will be devasted if they didn't get.

think we need loads of pixiedust: :rotfl:

but may I ask what happened with your son? It sounds like it must have been a serious accident! We'll keep all of you in our thoughts and prayers...we've been through absurdly rough patches before, too, and it always seems so unbelieveable that so many awful things can actually happen at once.

Here's some more... pixiedust: !!!

Karla

My DH had cancer and visited WDW in between treatments - - he had a fine time - and he's totally cured! (caught early on!)

Good luck!

ptrbryant said:
but may I ask what happened with your son? It sounds like it must have been a serious accident! We'll keep all of you in our thoughts and prayers...we've been through absurdly rough patches before, too, and it always seems so unbelieveable that so many awful things can actually happen at once.

Here's some more... pixiedust: !!!

Karla

No I don't mind you asking Karla,

He was playing rugby when the scrum collapsed on top of him and the way they landed on him broke his neck at the C4 level and is now totally paralised. that was one of the reason I couldn't understand why the family members that came with us last year were so horrid. it was truly awful

Ali,

I'm sitting here with my mouth open! I am so, so sorry to read about your son's accident...how's he coping with it? How old is he? Hard to believe that given the stress your family must be under that others would complain about what must have seemed like trivial matters and cast such a dark cloud over what should have been a great comfort of a vacation! You're making a very wise choice in having just those who would contribute to a happy family memory come on the next trip!

Karla B.

p.s. We stayed at SSR last year, just in a studio...it's beautiful! The pool was especially lovely and the boatride to Downtown Disney was fun.

ptrbryant said:
Ali,

I'm sitting here with my mouth open! I am so, so sorry to read about your son's accident...how's he coping with it? How old is he? Hard to believe that given the stress your family must be under that others would complain about what must have seemed like trivial matters and cast such a dark cloud over what should have been a great comfort of a vacation! You're making a very wise choice in having just those who would contribute to a happy family memory come on the next trip!

Karla B.

p.s. We stayed at SSR last year, just in a studio...it's beautiful! The pool was especially lovely and the boatride to Downtown Disney was fun.

Hi Karla
he is now 20, he was 16, nearly 17 when it happened. he copes really well but doesn't look past today never looks to tomorrow. he is constantly plagued with Kidney, blood pressure, infections. but...... he went back to school did all his highers and advanced highers and is now in 2nd year at university doing Psychology and wants to help children in education with learning difficulties. Don't know if it will be possible but his degree will take him another 5 years and who know what can happen within the medical world in that time.

we bought into SSR last year but this will be our first visit and first time on site and we just can't wait. as for the family last year I will never, never understand them. they didn't realise it would be so warm, didn't realise you had to drive everywhere and didn't realise you had to walk so much round the parks :confused3 he started screaming at my mum and me (my dad and my husband were away getting fuel) and they reckon it raised her blood pressure and in turn lead to the stroke. that is one of the reason I want my Mum and Dad to get this year to make up for list year.

here is our son's website if you want to see how handsome he is :thumbsup2 I'm biased :rotfl:www.davidazharappeal.org.

Sorry to hear about your situation.
I think as long as your dad's doctor says it's OK to travel, you will be fine. You are experienced at going to WDW, so you know what to expect.
You might want to look into an ECV (motorized scooter) for your dad, so he won't use up all his energy getting around.

Ali,

Glad it seems like you're getting some encouraging advice here! I tried to click on the link for your son and it wouldn't load for some reason...tried typing the address is as well, but still couldn't get it to work!

Anyway, prayers and pixie dust that this summer, you'll have a vacation that's so great it even makes up for last year's!

Karla B. :goodvibes

:grouphug: I have posted on your other thread Ali, but have another hug too! Hope everything works out for you, you deserve it to be a special trip for you and your family. And oh yes, he is handsome.

Ali,
I don't have too much advice, but I have to agree with Sue, if his doc says yes it should be fine. My DH has chronic lymphocytic lukemia and he did great when we went in Nov. He gets tired really easily, but that's pretty easy to deal with if you use your common sense. I don't know what kind of chair your DS has (manual or power), but we found that pushing my DD's manual chair is kinda like using a walker!! Her chair has a single bar that curves up from the handles and it really helps. We brought my mum (she's 70) and this was also a godsend for her! It might make sense for you to get a wheelchair for your mum and dad to share. (Or one for each if they both need it.) I'm sending lots of pixiedust: pixiedust: pixiedust: pixiedust: that everything works out for your family. You guys certainly need a good vacation!!!!! :sunny: :sunny:

boosmom96 said:
I don't know what kind of chair your DS has (manual or power), but we found that pushing my DD's manual chair is kinda like using a walker!!
A very good point!
My FIL has bad hips and knees and sometimes liked to push DD's manual wheelchair for that very reason.

Speaking as a woman who was injured and became a paraplegic at age 6, your son will be okay. Just give him time and a lot of support.

great idea about sharing the wheelchairs for mum and dad. husband going to doctors tomorrow for a medical so he is going to ask him for advise. to be fair they won't mind paying a higher premium for insurance I was just worried that the insurance companies wouldn't touch them. more soul my Dad, every ache I think his imagination is running away from him and it has moved.

thanks for the pixiedust: think it is working because I feel more calmer.

thanks everyone :grouphug:

Totally off topic, Ali and Boyz, but I recall you having a timer stating how long it was since you'd been on Arran. Where did you stay? Did you take all the necessary equipment with you or is there a place you can hire it and arrange for it to be delivered?

Huggles said:
Totally off topic, Ali and Boyz, but I recall you having a timer stating how long it was since you'd been on Arran. Where did you stay? Did you take all the necessary equipment with you or is there a place you can hire it and arrange for it to be delivered?

Hi Huggles, Yes we were there in October but we go all the time. We stay at the Auchrannie Spa. Don't know if you know it but it is a new development on the grounds of the Country House Hotel.

They have 3 rooms with roll - in showers. We take our own Mo-lift Hoist and shower chair and they have always been extremely helpful. Ferry was no problem either and we have even visited the hospital !! Our son has a very high level of disablilty so if we can manage there anybody can :thumbsup2 .

p.m. me if you need any more info. :wave2:

Ali,

Well, I tried again and I finally got the link to your son's website to work...

David really is a handsome guy, but what really struck me was that he has such a great smile that seems to truly show inner happiness! It's a wonderful testament to what a supportive, loving family he must have.

Take care,

Karla B. :goodvibes

I have spent more holidays than I care to remember on Arran and have gravitated from Brodick to the South End now. Just curious about the equipment as I think I may try Mrs Bilsland at the Red Cross about a raised, high back chair for my mum when we are there again this summer.

Hope you all enjoy many more great holidays there. It's wonderful when you find something 'just right'. It's like putting on comfy shoes.

Cheers! :thumbsup2

Huggles said:
OK, I have to ask, what or where is ARRAN?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter