Can I use debit card for room balance & credit card for room charges?

T

TWOOD

Does anyone know if I can use my debit card to charge only my room balance upon arrival at the resort (Poly - 3nts. & POR - 7nts.), and then leave a different credit card for room charges? Thanks, Tracey:D

I don't know for sure that you can or can't, but I wanted to warn you in case you can, many debit cards have limits on what you can charge on them per day, so if you had, say, a $300 limit per day and a $1000 hotel bill, you would still have to pay $700 cash or another credit card. Just a heads up to check it out before you leave.

Yes you can, and most debit cards do NOT have a limit. It's just like a check, you can use it as much as you want.

I just did this. I paid my balance of $1053.00 using my debit card. I have a cap of $1000.00 per day using it. I called Disney had them charge my debit card for $1000.00 for that day and they just put a note on my file to charge my card for the remaining amount of $53.00 the next day. Luckily I never had any problems so far using my debit for disney. I called disney a few days later and all went through. I just received my final confirmation which states paid in full. Just find out from your bank what your cap to withraw is and work from that. It's real easy.

Does your debit card have a Mastercard or Visa logo on it? If it does I would just ask if they can put so much on that card and the balance on your other card. Although this is just a suggestion, you may want to call the resort directly to see if it can be done. Or better yet go ahead and pay for your room before you get to WDW, and leave the cc you want for the room charges.

I agree that many cards with credit card logos have limits. I've been embarrassed because of my card getting declined for that very same reason. There is usually a 24-hour limit and a smaller transaction limit. You can call your bank before you go and get the limits changed, but I like knowing they're there just because it will reduce the amount of hassle I have to go through if anyone ever steals my card.

I try to stick with regular credit cards for bigger purchases when possible. It doesn't cost anything extra if you pay it off when you get the statement. Plus, people do steal credit card numbers. You aren't responsible for the charges, but while everything is being settled, I wouldn't want my checking account to be empty. I don't think that the front desk people at WDW would steal your information, but it's a good habit.

You can you as many different cards as you want. On our last trip, at check out at AKL, I used my debit card for part of the balance and my AMEX for the rest. In the meantime, I bought tickets for TL at desk with AMEX during stay and I think I used AMEX on check in to cover any incidentals. As long as you pay, I don't really think they care how you go about doing it.

Thanks everybody - I think I'll take the advice to just put it on a regular credit card & pay the card off after the trip. I certainly can't afford to have my checking account drained while I'm lounging at the volcano pool or riding Space Mt. - LOL!:)

It seems there are a lot of people who don't want to have a credit card, but have a VISA (or MasterCard) check card for getting cash as well as making purchases at stores. If you don't object to having a credit card, and you also have a debit card - why have money taken out of your checking account immediately - especially if it's an interest-bearing checking account, and/or your credit card has some "perks" attached (airline miles, hotel points, cash back)?

I always pay for purchases with a credit card, and occasionally use an ATM (NOT a debit) card when I need cash. All of my credit cards get "rewards" - and my checking account earns interest (a whopping 1% APR!). :)

Total speculation, but I'm guessing you want to pay the room balance up front from your debit card, so you don't have to worry about it sitting on your credit card once you get home? I like to do the same thing, but want the protection of my credit card and the no-hassle of one card for everything, so here's what I do... ~1-2 weeks before I leave home, I send in a payment to the credit card, even if none is due. That way, I've "created the space" on the card, and can do it all together without worrying. Depending on if I've been "good" lately, I'll actually have a credit on my card for a few joyous days! ;)

[I don't think I said that very well - does it make sense?]

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter