Can I transfer points FROM Southwest Rapid Rewards?

MarBee

DIS Veteran
I wasn't sure if this was the right forum, but I'm frustrated after googling and getting conflicted or no results...

I have a few thousand points sitting in my Rapid Rewards account that will expire soon. I would like to transfer those points out of the account to a partner program (Chase Ultimate Rewards, SPG, Marriott, etc) but can't find any information on if this is possible or not. I was hoping one of you more savvy travel hackers had a solution for me

Thanks in advance!

I wasn't sure if this was the right forum, but I'm frustrated after googling and getting conflicted or no results...

I have a few thousand points sitting in my Rapid Rewards account that will expire soon. I would like to transfer those points out of the account to a partner program (Chase Ultimate Rewards, SPG, Marriott, etc) but can't find any information on if this is possible or not. I was hoping one of you more savvy travel hackers had a solution for me

Thanks in advance!
No. You can transfer them to another RR account for a price, but it's rarely worth it. You might be better off just making a purchase thru the RR shopping portal just to keep the points from expiring.

If you're currently a Southwest Visa cardholder, you can also redeem your RR points for GCs. A $25 GC will cost you 3,000 RR pts or you can get a $50 GC for 5,000 RR pts.

So if I have points that are expiring, I can just make a purchase through the shopping site and the points won't be expiring anymore (because the account has to have activity every 24 months)? I don't have to have a rapid rewards visa card to do this? Also... if I redeem flight miles through my account, does that count as activity?

So if I have points that are expiring, I can just make a purchase through the shopping site and the points won't be expiring anymore (because the account has to have activity every 24 months)? I don't have to have a rapid rewards visa card to do this? Also... if I redeem flight miles through my account, does that count as activity?

Redeeming points for a flight does not count to extend the expiration. I think it has to be point earning activity to extend. So yes you can just shop through their site to earn points you don't have to have their credit card.

You do not need a SWA credit card to use the shopping portal and earn points toward your RR acct.

You can also earn points by registering you CC to the Rapid Rewards dinning program. Each time you dine at one of the places listed on the program you will earn points. https://www.rapidrewardsdining.com/

Last edited:

Thanks in advance!
If you just want to keep your points from expiring, as others have mentioned, you can purchase something through the Rapid Rewards shopping portal. I canceled my Sam's Club auto-renew a couple days ago so that I can sign up for membership again through the Rapid Rewards shopping portal. Plus I get a $10 Sam's e-gift card and Instant Savings on some "tailgating" items...which for me translates to a 40-pack of bottled water for 98 cents.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter