can I save this crockpot?

pilesoflaundry

it doesn't get scratched as often
It's budget because if I can't save it I have to buy a new one :rotfl:.

I made shrinky dinks in the crockpot and I let one sit too long or it got too hot and it melted to the side.

I tried nail polish remover, soaking it and putting boiling water to heat up and loosen the plastic. None of it really worked. The nail polish remover took a little bit of it off but not enough to really do anything.

Shrinky dinks are non-toxic but I still don't feel right cooking in it again until it's out of there.

Any ideas before I toss it?

Could you heat up the crockpot itself on low, just enough to heat up the plastic again and scrape it off?
Or put it in the freezer and then chip it off? It works on wax. Maybe it would work on Shrinky Dinks! (By the way, why did you do Shrinky Dinks in the crockpot??)

Hmm... what about using the Reynolds Crockpot Cooking bags in your crockpot in the future, maybe with a round cake rack in the bottom as an added cushion to keep the food away? While I know the plastic isn't toxic, eventually pieces will mix in with the food as it dissolves.

What about heating some vinegar, enough to cover the plastic, on high for a while? Vinegar does a LOT.

How about going to your crockpot manufacturer's website, or the Shrinky-Dink website, and asking for help?

WORST case - use it for crafts :) and get a new crockpot for food.

Could you heat up the crockpot itself on low, just enough to heat up the plastic again and scrape it off?
Or put it in the freezer and then chip it off? It works on wax. Maybe it would work on Shrinky Dinks! (By the way, why did you do Shrinky Dinks in the crockpot??)

I tried to scrap it off when it was still warm but it didn't work. Apparently shrinky dink plastic is only soft and pliable before it's heated. After that it's like cement.

I did them in the crockpot because it was a very hot day out but raining and the kids were bored. I didn't want to put the oven on. It was on someone's blog that you can do it so I tried it. Most of them worked fine but I had a very large one that took longer to shrink and I think it just took too long and melted a little. Not something I recommend!

I should have just used the toaster oven or waited for another day ugh.

The crockpot liners are a great idea, maybe I will try that if I can't get it off.

Where can I get them???:thumbsup2

I don't know if they make the original ones anymore but I have found quite a few art kits under the creativity kids brand at target and craft stores for about $10-$15.

This particular kit was a tinkerbell fairies book that came with them, I forgot the brand but it wasn't the actual shrinky dink brand. worked the same though.

You can also buy sheets of the plastic at michael's and draw your own designs.

Well I can't answer your question but I'm glad you answered mine about why you use the crockpot.;):lmao:

Any chance you can ask the person who writes the blog?

Well I can't answer your question but I'm glad you answered mine about why you use the crockpot.;):lmao:

Any chance you can ask the person who writes the blog?

Stop laughing at me :headache: This is a kitchen emergency!

:rotfl: I had to laugh at my stupidity later.

I was going to suggest the freezer, but I see that someone before me did that. Could you pour some water in it to cover past the shrinky dink and the set the crockpot to low for a few hours and see if that softens it up or loosens it at all? Heating the vinegar was a good idea, too. Being acidic, it might eat away at it a bit.

is it an actual crock pot?
Crock pot brand?

you may be able to contact customer service on the website & get a new "crock" instead of having to buy a whole new set-up.http://crock-pot.com/default.aspx

HTH! :cutie:

Yes it is. Thanks. A new insert is only $15 but with shipping it's $25. I hate that! I only paid $30 for the thing new. I appreciate the suggestion though.

I was going to suggest the freezer, but I see that someone before me did that. Could you pour some water in it to cover past the shrinky dink and the set the crockpot to low for a few hours and see if that softens it up or loosens it at all? Heating the vinegar was a good idea, too. Being acidic, it might eat away at it a bit.

I might try heating the water or vinegar and then using a kitchen scraper to see what comes off.

Thank you all for the suggestions.

You could keep your eyes open at Goodwill/Salvation Army for a similarly sized crock (assuming it's the removeable kind). They're pretty standard sizes.

(I got my whole crockpot, with a carrying case, for $3 at SA. I wasn't sure if it would work, but for the case alone, was worth it. Whole thing works wonderfully. I think C.P. are something people don't use/get rid of even though they work.)

Yes it is. Thanks. A new insert is only $15 but with shipping it's $25. I hate that! I only paid $30 for the thing new. I appreciate the suggestion though.

I might try heating the water or vinegar and then using a kitchen scraper to see what comes off.

Thank you all for the suggestions.

That's what I was going to suggest. If it were me - I'd ditch the whole thing. DH bought me a 5 qt Crock Pot brand from Bed Bath and Beyond at Christmas with a coupon and got it for like $10. I would buy a new one and save the old one for something like melting crayons or some OTHER messy art project!

Best wishes!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter