Can I buy Canadian currency in the Magic?

disgreat

Earning My Ears
We are cruising on Saturday. I forgot to order Canadian currency for the trip.

Can I purchase Canadian money on the Magic?

Where is the money exchange located?

Thanks!

I don't know about exchanging on the ship but I'm on a Canadian/new England cruise right now and everywhere i went in canada accepted USD, you just likely get Canadian as change.

When we were in Vancouver last month, we used our atm card to get cash from a bank atm. I had read that would get us the best exchange rate. We managed to spend it all, but in retrospect we could have gotten by just using credit cards.

We were in Canada this summer and got a small amount of cash at the airport exchange desk as we were staying in Vancouver for three days. We mainly used it for tips. Otherwise we used credit cards. Last fall we were on the Magic's Eastern Canadian cruise and got by with just credit cards. We never once used cash. Yes, most Canadian business will take US dollars, but you are just giving away the exchange rate. If it's a $10 purchase - no biggie. It depends on what you paying for. A large purchase will cost you a lot more in US currency than using a credit card or making the exchange to Canadian currency.

Even if you could exchange it on the ship, I seriously doubt the exchange rate would be as favorable as what you get from an ATM (plentiful - this Canada after all), or using credit cards.

If you use USD check the exchange rate, most places honor the rate on purchases of reasonable amounts. That is, when paying your restaurant bill ask the cashier for the exchange rate and they have always done so for us (of course not the full exchange rate). That being said, we rarely spend cash, maybe just tips and no one has ever seemed upset about getting US.

When we were in Vancouver last month, we used our atm card to get cash from a bank atm. I had read that would get us the best exchange rate. We managed to spend it all, but in retrospect we could have gotten by just using credit cards.

We did this when we traveled to Ireland as well; for the same reason you stated.
We will do the same thing when we are on the Disney Magic next year for our Norwegian Fjord and Iceland cruise.

We are cruising on Saturday. I forgot to order Canadian currency for the trip.

Can I purchase Canadian money on the Magic?

Where is the money exchange located?

Thanks!

Probably too late, but for future people with this issue, NYC has more than a few currency exchange places.

Conversions on the ship are not good. Stick with your credit card or ATM. For tipping in Vancouver they will happily accept USD considering how close the border is. Cab drivers for instance cross into Washington to buy gas.

Conversions on the ship are not good. Stick with your credit card or ATM. For tipping in Vancouver they will happily accept USD considering how close the border is. Cab drivers for instance cross into Washington to buy gas.

Some Credit Cards (usually travel themed cards) sometimes waive conversion fees. Like the United card to get air miles and other travel benefits. You pay a fee for the card. But check with your card company as yours might have good/waived fees, or it may charge you some higher fee. Don't want to get those surprise fees.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter