Can everyone be specific what they mean by hotel!!!

For me, a "hotel" is something with interior access to the room you rented. Those rooms then either have a balcony or patio At Disney, this would be most Deluxe resorts only. SSR and I think OKW have exterior access to the room. Those are what I classify as a "motel".

Thoughts:

You are from another country, all countries seem to use different hotel terms whether type of lodging or type of bedding etc.

In USA I think traditionally a HOTEL had interior halls and MOTEL had their doors direct to outside.

BUT Disney doesn't want to be seen as a motel anywhere so they avoid the terms using "resort" instead. One reason may be is that motel's are traditionally much cheaper, considered less desirable and none of Disney's fall in to a motel price range.

A RESORT is more likely to have an array of amenities, entertainment, dining and recreation etc ... more of an all inclusive feel to it. Many of Disney "hotels" do provide this but some do not. It's a unique use of the word. Disney is just a different animal.

NOW if you are looking offsite then I would stick to the traditional Resort vs Non-Resort, Hotel vs Motel vs Condo style. Of course it becomes even more confusing when one location offers more than one style of room. Wyndham at DS has interior and exterior access rooms .... so it's a motel and hotel???

Last edited:
I hate playing guessing games.
Really generic questions give you generic answers
And that is a very generic question you asked, that was really more an emphatic (3 exclamation) statement.

So, some guessing games on my part; are you:
  • Asking people to always state what they mean when they use the word hotel here?
  • Making a statement about the thread label "Orlando Hotels and Attractions"; and perhaps the fact that, really, very few of the people staying offsite and posting here actually stay in "hotels" in the traditional sense of the word? (It's mostly resort communities, timeshare resorts, condominiums, and vacation rental homes that get discussed here, with a smattering of classic hotels and motels thrown in.)
  • Looking for a primer on various types of offsite accommodation available in the Orlando area?
  • Just venting?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter