• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Can a Vegetarian Survive on DCL?

I'm not a vegetarian myself, but do know that there are vegetarian selections every night in the dining rooms. There are also many fruit and vegetable choices in the buffet lines, as well as the delectable Palo brunch and dinner. :earsgirl:

DD15 is an ovo-lacto vegetarian. There is a vegetarian choice on the dinner menu every evening. Our servers were very willing to have the chefs prepare an alternative dish if the daily choice was not to her liking. You will not starve.

My Sister had the same concern on our family cruise last June. Not to worry, she found plenty to eat! She says she found too much to eat :rolleyes1 .

Sandy

princesskatie said:
Family of 4 vegetarian's. Will Disney accomodate us?

There were two vegetarian dishes on each night's menu. They looked really good and I almost ordered a few.

Very, very easy! I'm veggie as well. There are at least 2 entrees every night specifically marked vegetarian, and usually one more within the "regular" choices. A lot of entrees can easily be made vegetarian, and the servers are extremely helpful in making these choices. There is almost always a fresh fruit appetizer, and some of the soups (especially the chilled fruit soups) are veggie. The rest you'll need to check on because they probably use chicken or ham stock.

There are veggie burgers at Plutos and on Castaway Cay (though I'm not sure they're cooked separately from the regular burgers--if you're sensitive about that you should ask.), cheese pizza at Pinocchio's, cheese nachos offered at snack time in the lounges, fruit at Scoops, and much, much more!!!

If you are vegan, it will be much trickier. In that case I would contact DCL about your dietary needs then follow up with them before your cruise and contact your Head Server as soon as you board.

Thank you so much for the helpful information. Not vegan so it sounds like everyone will have plenty of choices. Leaving on 10/27 on Wonder for 3 night cruise.

you will find loads of options-many of which i find to oustanding (and this coming from a carnivore :scared1:

i have to say-last year i spent a week with my kids at a family sleep away camp that provided only vegitarian meals. i never ate so well or felt better in my life. my dd went on to stay for a week of "cub camp"-she came back with a far greater appreciation for vegetarin dining options and feeling so much more energetic!

We are also a family of 4 vegetarians, and one reason we fell in love with the Disney Cruise (and with Walt Disney World) is the wonderful vegetarian food! They have even added veggie burgers at Plutos by the pool (they didn't have them on our first cruise back in 2000).

The food is great! The ONLY place we had a problem was on the 7 night when we went to Topsiders as an alternative for dinner instead of going to our regular dining room. That was back in 2003 and they didn't have a veggie dish on the menu there. It could have changed since then. We didn't go there last year when we were on the Magic, so I don't know what they menu is like now. BUT they did get us a meal, we just talked with our server and we were able to get something (I don't remember what it was), but it wasn't on the menu at that time. So don't worry. You will have plenty to eat!

BTW at Cookies BBQ on Castaway Cay they also have veggie burgers available, you just have to ask.

DJ

Ironically, my husband is usually Mr. Meat and Potatoes, but he LOVES the veggie dishes on board! On one trip, he decided to eat vegetarian all cruise to review the veggie dishes for our website. He fell in love with several of them, and now he orders them whenever he is on board.
Barb

I was never much into veggies (my nickname as a child was T-Rex), until I fell in love with Indian food--I tried the Potato Cauliflower Curry (essentially Aloo Gobi) on board, and it was delicious! :) Highly reccomended.

PirateWife pirate:

I'm not only a vegetarian, but a very VERY picky eater in general! I was worried how I'd eat on the cruise. There were plenty of things to choose from, and after the 2nd night, the servers knew exactly what I'd like and I wouldn't have to remind them to "ask if it's chicken broth..." or anything like that.

Plus, I don't like cooked vegetables (I know, I know) so my servers would remember "no tomatoes, no...." and sometimes they'd tell me that they were going to make me something special with pasta and cheese. (My favorites!)

Dining turned out to be my highlight of the cruise! I've never had a day, let alone 7 in a row, that I was always full and eating good food! Just make sure to save room for dessert! :)

PirateWife said:
I was never much into veggies (my nickname as a child was T-Rex), until I fell in love with Indian food--I tried the Potato Cauliflower Curry (essentially Aloo Gobi) on board, and it was delicious! :) Highly reccomended.

PirateWife pirate:
I agree, the curry was wonderful! I am not vegetarian but I did order the veggie choices twice on our cruise and loved them!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter