Camping vs Glamping

Camping. Tent or under the stars that you set up.
Glamping. A Yurt with a see through dome at the top that is set up for you, or an RV.

Camping. Sleeping bag on a ground cloth.
Glamping. A mattress with sheets and blankets.

Camping First tree on the left.
Glamping. A woodsy themed bathroom.

Camping. Open fire
Glamping. The RV stove.

DW and I used to stay at FW in her MH(motorhome) and never considered it Glamping.

*Glamping* to us would be -- driving to a *camp site* where a tent (some type of FABRIC enclosure) is ready and waiting for us and has everything a 5 STAR Hotel Room would have along with Concierge Services for whatever we would require.

If you have a bedframe or real mattress, it's definitely glamping.

If your meals are made in anything resembling a kitchen, then also glamping. I would not count just using a camping stove as glamping.

This place called Summit at Big Bend (outside of Big Bend NP) has become my go-to definition of Glamping. (pics borrowed from their website https://summitbigbend.com/pages/stargazing-domes). One day, we'll get to stay there.

1699628763619.png

I know some people would say that our upcoming annual Christmas campout with friends and family is glamping because it's not as rustic as things were in my husband's Eagle Scout experiences. That being said, it's a blend of everything posted by @Cannot_Wait_4Disney. We set up our own tent and used to sleep on the ground (before I got sick of it and too old for it), but we now have really nice air mattresses (the camping kind- not the set up for a house guest kind) and I bring sheets/pillows/blankets in addition to sleeping bags (open them up like blankets if it's cold enough to need them). We have a big campfire and there's also an old smoker onsite, but we also have propane camp stoves and even access to a powerline added to the wooded plot of land to plug in things like crock pots. Of course, now so many vehicles have traditional plugs that I can just plug in to my vehicle without having to run a long extension cord to their power source. The guys often "go" in the woods, but there's also a bathroom shed (with electricity) that has a basic tub/shower, sink, and toilet. We have light from propane lanterns, battery operated holiday light strings, and a big LED lantern. It's obviously got a lot of comforts that you don't get with basic camping, yet it's far more rustic than what I've pictured above. So, I have a hard time calling it glamping.

DW and I used to stay at FW in her MH(motorhome) and never considered it Glamping.
We are staying in a camping trailer that is permanently set on an acre of land. didn’t think of it as glamping. Yea we will have a real bed and a full kitchen but I liken it more to cabin-camping then glamping.

To me glamping is a large “fancy” tent with a bed.

Honestly Camping vs Glamping is just one more way people try to divide people, nothing more. Glamping is just a made up word. I camp, period. We've stayed in a van, tents, pop up, hybrid, travel trailer, toy hauler and a class A motorhome. I still camp. I don't care if I'm parked next to a family in a tent, or a couple in the million dollar motorhome, if they are good people they are welcome around my campfire. If you are getting out in the woods you are camping. If I sit in an RV park, well then I'm sitting in an RV park.

Get out, have fun and make memories. Here is my happy place, and I have a ton of photos and memories of our family, our friends. We got wet, we got dirty, we got bug bites, we had a few beers ate a few s'mores but we were together.
mh_lake.jpg
IMG_5960.JPG
IMG_8673.JPG
DSCN1670.JPG

Trust me, this little guy doesn't care what you are camping in, he was just happy to find some newspaper to take home!
IMG_8492.JPG

This place called Summit at Big Bend (outside of Big Bend NP) has become my go-to definition of Glamping. (pics borrowed from their website https://summitbigbend.com/pages/stargazing-domes). One day, we'll get to stay there.

View attachment 809384

I know some people would say that our upcoming annual Christmas campout with friends and family is glamping because it's not as rustic as things were in my husband's Eagle Scout experiences. That being said, it's a blend of everything posted by @Cannot_Wait_4Disney. We set up our own tent and used to sleep on the ground (before I got sick of it and too old for it), but we now have really nice air mattresses (the camping kind- not the set up for a house guest kind) and I bring sheets/pillows/blankets in addition to sleeping bags (open them up like blankets if it's cold enough to need them). We have a big campfire and there's also an old smoker onsite, but we also have propane camp stoves and even access to a powerline added to the wooded plot of land to plug in things like crock pots. Of course, now so many vehicles have traditional plugs that I can just plug in to my vehicle without having to run a long extension cord to their power source. The guys often "go" in the woods, but there's also a bathroom shed (with electricity) that has a basic tub/shower, sink, and toilet. We have light from propane lanterns, battery operated holiday light strings, and a big LED lantern. It's obviously got a lot of comforts that you don't get with basic camping, yet it's far more rustic than what I've pictured above. So, I have a hard time calling it glamping.
Thank you! BF has a conference in Austin, TX next year and we plan to visit Big Bend.

Real camping is in a tent set up by at least one of the campers. It doesn't have to be cheap though. I've got a really nice Marmot tent that originally retailed for maybe $400, although I got it on clearance for a fraction of that cost. But when I do go camping it seems that most tents are Coleman or some house brand using fiberglass poles and tarp-like floors that aren't terribly water resistant. What one gets in a more expensive tent are lighter, stronger, and more durable materials and possibly easier setup.

Indoor plumbing is where I draw the line. That and a structure secure enough to keep out snakes & other critters.

Most of the places I've camped have bathrooms and possibly showers. I don't think I've ever done car camping at a place that didn't at least have running water and real toilets. Obviously not at each individual campsite.

Most of the places I've camped have bathrooms and possibly showers. I don't think I've ever done car camping at a place that didn't at least have running water and real toilets. Obviously not at each individual campsite.
I should have clarified my idea of acceptable indoor plumbing. I'm talking about a private bath inside the cabin, RV, yurt, etc. Bath houses aren't for me.

I should have clarified my idea of acceptable indoor plumbing. I'm talking about a private bath inside the cabin, RV, yurt, etc. Bath houses aren't for me.

I've camped at a school outing in group campsites where we had running cold water but no flush toilets. I guess backpacking is at a different level.

Indoor plumbing is where I draw the line. That and a structure secure enough to keep out snakes & other critters.

We are two peas in a pod on this subject. When I was a kid my grandma and great uncle owned a two story “cabin” with something like six rooms, a loft like area that wrapped around the top, two bathrooms, huge kitchen, dining area and living room with full power, water and even cable later on. I could sit out on the porch and read or cross stitch while watching the deer (and listen to my uncle swear at them for eating his garden, lol) while everyone else went out and played in nature. It was the best of both worlds.

We are two peas in a pod on this subject. When I was a kid my grandma and great uncle owned a two story “cabin” with something like six rooms, a loft like area that wrapped around the top, two bathrooms, huge kitchen, dining area and living room with full power, water and even cable later on. I could sit out on the porch and read or cross stitch while watching the deer (and listen to my uncle swear at them for eating his garden, lol) while everyone else went out and played in nature. It was the best of both worlds.
That sounds wonderful.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter