Camper trailer-easy tow. Husband passed away, need advice

Thank you to everyone for all your suggestions and prayers. Maybe i should rent a trailer first to see how it tows and see what i can handle?

I believe the towing capacity of the van to be around 10,000 lbs. That is what I was told. I will double check that again. That was one of the reasons we purchased the van, because it would tow a fairly big trailer. We had purchased the van and were planning on purchasing a camper trailer at the end of the summer.

And several have suggested electric jacks, stabilizers, awnings, etc. So it would be easier on us if we had as much electric capable items as possible..

des1954: I am sorry to hear about your brother in law. It was the hardest decision I have ever made in my life and I told the doctor that this couldn't possibly be happening to me. Poor man. He would have brought him back for me if there were anyway he could have. He was distraught when he saw that my dh had 3 little girls he was leaving behind.

terri01p: Thank you for your thoughts and wishes for my family..

Thank you all for your help and compassion for us while we're trying to figure out what our future is going to be...

I apologize but I have had a bad day and I am not thinking very well right now, but I wanted to make sure you all know how thankful I am for your suggestions, and I hope I made sense today. I will try to get back on tomorrow after I've rested...Thank you alll....
Cassandra

I apologize but I have had a bad day and I am not thinking very well right now, but I wanted to make sure you all know how thankful I am for your suggestions, and I hope I made sense today. I will try to get back on tomorrow after I've rested...Thank you alll....
Cassandra
We'll be here for you! I hope you were able to get some sleep. It's hard to turn your brain off when you're under such stress.

First off let me also say that I'm sorry for you loss. *"Courage is not the absence of fear, rather the judgement that something else is more important." (*From Princess Diaries)

Second have you look into or thought about one of those off-road pop-ups with a deck? Pop-ups tend to be a little easier to haul. Here is a picture and the floorplan of the Fleetwood E4, it has a deck big enough to haul a golf cart.

6484549_photo1.jpg

fp_evol_e4.gif

My sympathies for your loss.

Most all trailers "tow" the same, if they are loaded properly. Getting a weight distributing hitch with sway control shouldn't even be questioned, just consider it a necessary part of the trailer.

A "toy hauler" trailer is pretty big... but remember that if you aren't actually "hauling" a golf cart or bikes, most THs have beds and/or couches that fold down to make the "garage" area more usable. You might want to look into special ordering the fold down stuff if the model you are looking at doesn't come with it standard.

Also keep in mind that more than a few campgrounds don't allow golf carts or ATVs, unless there is a need for it.

Whichever trailer, toy hauler, popup, etc you do get, they will all tow fine if the hitch is setup properly and the vehicle is rated to tow it. My TT is only 1/2 the weight rating of my truck, but I certainly do know it is back there when I am towing. I do like the 80% rule (don't go over 80% of your tow vehicles rated capacity), but remember that is the total, loaded weight of the trailer (with golf cart if you get that). When you get the camper home, try to find a friend (or friend of a friend) experienced with that type of RV to look over the hitch setup.

Hope things work out, and take your time looking.

Forgot to say that since you're coming from Texas, it's a real easy tow. No mountains, all flat but enough interesting stuff to look at along the way that the boredom factor isn't too high. No real long stretches without fast food/gas, plenty of shopping if you need something along the way. It's a pretty easy trip.

That said, you'll probably want to split it into two days.

:goodvibes to you,

Sue in Texas

I'm sorry I crashed for two days. I slept for quite awhile. I've been trying to stay busy but my body finally caught up with me and I now have a lung infection. I guess that's why my body is making me sleep.

I apologize for not answering before now. :flower3: I do know the limitations of my body usually but I have been ignoring them lately. That's one of the main reasons we liked the idea of the camper trailer. We could take our time coming from Texas and stop along the way and take it easy. Then if I arrived in Florida ahead of time I could rest and make sure I was ready to do Disney with my girls.

The golf cart is for me and I already own it. I do use handicap things when necessary, when my body protests too much. Most places will allow it if it's handicap related. I don't like to use canes or anything else, but I don't have a choice. I know some may be thinking it's crazy for me to try something like camping when I have physical limitations, but the only other choice is to sit at home and wait to die. My dh understood this and we took several trips a year and he made sure he planned things to get me out of the house. Now he's not here and I will not give up and let what he did be for nothing.

Poohbearwithme: Thank you for your encouragemant. I am not sure I would like a pop up camper for several reasons though it would definetly be easier to tow. We used my brother's before and several things stood out to me.

1. I am scared of the camper being easy to break into with my girls and I alone in it..
2. There are no bathroom facilities, or weren't in the one we used, and that would make it difficult for someone with a handicap to try to go to the restroom in the middle of the night...:rolleyes: I'm pretty klutzy... (AHA...I just now saw that the one you had floorplans on has a bathroom in it. It would be hard to use the shower, but it at least has a bathroom!!!)
3. It was hard for me to set it up. And that was before I started having physical problems.

I think I like the idea of an enclosed camper better even if it's a little harder to tow.

MadFF: I did see a camper that I had pointed out to my dh and it had a side entrance with a ramp for a cart or bikes, and then the beds folded back down and it made a bunk room. I really liked that one. But I'm not sure if only one brand sales those. It didnt seem as big as the toy haulers...???

Escapeartist: Thank you Sue for your encouragement and advice. I really appreciate it! :goodvibes

I hope I didnt talk too much, it was all that sleep, I havent talked for two days! ;)

I don't really have any advice about campers except to say that you will get alot of advice on brands and types and to just do your own research and take your time. It is a buyer's market now and there are good deals everywhere! If we were in the market to buy instead of trying to sell:sad2: , then I would be looking for a small fifth wheel with a main slide and bunk beds. My husband says fifth wheels are the easiest to tow. I really admire all of the women on here and that I know personally that go it alone.

I am so sorry for your loss. There are no words except to say God loves you and cares for you, your children and your husband more than you can imagine. He has infinite wisdom and the power to see you through all things.

God bless you.:hug:

My deepest sympathies are with you and your daughters. We have come close twice to loosing my DH and I honestly don't know how I would be able to handle it. Being strong for your girls is very important, and the hardest thing to do. I spent many a night crying in my bathroom after the girls were in bed. Please know that my prayers are with you and your family.

On a brighter note, I have liked the Keystone trailers, I haven't seen any of their toyhaulers, but I have liked all of the kestones I have seen. I don't know what it is that I like, I just do. We don't own one, we have an N'Tense toyhauler(which isn't bad to tow either) Fleetwood makes a toy hauler that is on the lighter side. It's called Nitrous Hyperlite. Here's the link http://www.fleetwoodrv.com/nitrous/ Don't be nervous about towing. I do all our towing, and I have gotten use to it pretty quickly. Take it on a few short trips to practice first. Backing in was my fear, but I'm better now. Remember, turn the wheel the opposite way you want your trailer to go.

I applaud you for trying to keep things as normal as you can for your girls. Try not to feel bad about venting. You need it just like your girls do. Good luck to you and your girls, and I hope to see you at the fort sometime.

I realize your question was about what type camper is easiest to tow.

I'm going out on a limb here and suggesting that you not purchase the camper right away. Try camping in cabins at local state parks. Texas has some beautiful state parks. Or as suggested earlier, rent a camper(either already set up or to tow yourself). The set up and break down of camp is alot of work - I help where I can and DH does the hard work. I don't know if I could do it by myself. I know I can't back the camper into a site.

I'm concerned for you - that trying to take to camping in your own camper will be too much for you at this time.

My thoughts are with you and your girls.

You have to take it a day at a time. You're going to have bad days..and that's okay. Having your kids is what will get you through. Even the days when you just want to pull the covers over your head..you won't..because your a mom. We put our kids first..it's what we do. ;) You will put one foot in front of the other and your baby steps will get bigger. This tragedy has changed who you are, and it's not something you get over, but rather...given the time, it's becomes part of you, and you will learn to live with it. You have no choice. You have kids. It takes some time to get used to the "you" that you are now. It's so alien. It does happen though. That being said, carrying on with family traditions or plans that you and your husband had shows your children that despite this tragedy..you are still a family. That life does go on for them. That's important. Not to say, they shouldn't see mom sad..because they're sad also..but also strong and determined to make their lives everything that they're dad would have wanted for them. Take your time, you're going through this together, and there is no time table on grief. Have your kids participate in the planning. I know it's hard...because everytime you make a decision or even when you're happy, you think. "How could I even smile..when the person I love most is gone". I will always remember the first time I heard myself laugh out loud after my older daughter passed away. I was almost horrified by the sound of my own laughter. It was just a chuckle in a restaurant at something my son had said.. but honestly I thought how do you laugh after you put your child into the ground? Only I knew I had to be the person she wanted me to be and the mom to my older son that he needed. He needed a mom that could laugh and play with him. It was hard to make dinner and not set that extra table setting..but I did it. It was hard to do laundry, and not have her clothes..or to even to have her smell in the house. I didn't have nearly the time with her that you have had with your beloved husband, and my heart breaks for you. Only I know what saved me...and my husband for that matter, was that we had one another, and we had a child who desperately needed to know that we were still a family. Providing that for him is what helped us. I will keep your family in my prayers..and check in here with us on the camping forum for support anytime you feel the need. :hug:
As far as trailers, we have had a Jayco Eagle for nearly 8 years, and have been very happy with it. It's required very little in the way of repair. Just regular maintance. I usually read pretty good things about them. I would agree with others, that there is no rush it making a decision on a trailer, and you may want to actually rent a trailer first..I will send you info on that. All the perks, and none of the work..it might be what your family needs right now. Either way, my thoughts and prayers are with you.

Cassandra you are gonna to do fine with whatever decision you make so long as you are informed.....Size matters as far as what your Van can tow but with practice you will do great! I travel all over by myself and pull a 29 footer and set it up by myself as well.....I'm so glad you are going to continue your dream!!!:hug:

I admire all you ladies that tow:thumbsup2 ..I'm to nervous. I practiced in the parkinglot with our 28 foot Jayco..and then was to afraid to take the trailer onto the highway! I should just get over it I guess. One would think if I was able to drive a full size Ford econoline van and still beat the kids with one hand (okay:rolleyes1 ..not beat..but at least get in a good half swipe...with a "Don't make me pull this van over")...I should be able to tow a travel trailer! :laughing:
Yep...the good ol' days! Now..they drive their own cars! (or in the younger guys case...sneaks the keys to dad's car!):laughing:

I admire all you ladies that tow:thumbsup2 ..I'm to nervous. I practiced in the parkinglot with our 28 foot Jayco..and then was to afraid to take the trailer onto the highway! I should just get over it I guess. One would think if I was able to drive a full size Ford econoline van and still beat the kids with one hand (okay:rolleyes1 ..not beat..but at least get in a good half swipe...with a "Don't make me pull this van over")...I should be able to tow a travel trailer! :laughing:
Yep...the good ol' days! Now..they drive their own cars! (or in the younger guys case...sneaks the keys to dad's car!):laughing:

lol thanks...back in the day I actually took a job as a wrecker driever for an import car business...I got to go and pick up all the broken down Porches and Lams....then got to test drive them before the owners got them back...I LOVED that job....only paid 3 50 an hour...but it was sure fun!!!

lol thanks...back in the day I actually took a job as a wrecker driver for an import car business...I got to go and pick up all the broken down Porshes and Lams, mazerati's(sp)......then got to test drive them before the owners got them back...I LOVED that job....only paid 3 50 an hour...but it was sure fun!!!

Just bumping this thread. I would love to hear what you decided on RV wise. I would try to rent an
rv to help me decide on the things I really want or do not like when you purchase on. You are a brave woman. I also love the fact you are teaching your children that life goes on and that you can laugh and live again. I hope each day gets more livable.

Patty

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter