Camper Struck by Lightning on Friday

Skaught

Mouseketeer
My son and I were walking back to our campsite yesterday (Friday) in a very light rain when we heard a loud crack of thunder. It was very loud, but didn't make me think it was that close. When we got to our loop (2000), we saw a fire truck, ambulance, Disney vehicles and about 20 people from the rescue team and Disney. One man was on the ground with a hand pumping breathing mask on him and another was sitting down on a golf cart being attended.

They had both been right next to a tall pine tree when lightning had struck it. There were lots of kids with them, very close by, but no one else was hurt. The tree had a missing bark line running all the way down it, showing the path the lightning took. Eventually they took the man on the ground away in the ambulance. The other man was given an EKG (I assume...they had a print out they were looking at so I assume they were making sure his heart was okay).

The group was all packed up and about to leave when it happened, as their campsite was completely empty. Eventually everyone left and a few Disney higher ups milled around for a bit. They tagged the tree, I assume for removal to make sure it didn't fall down on anyone. Another camper spoke with someone from Disney there and said they told him the man taken away had a strong heartbeat, so that's good. I spoke with a security person and he told me he's never experienced anything like that in all his years with Disney.

It was barely raining, so it's not like they were being irresponsible by standing around in a lightning storm. Just one of those things you can't avoid. Anyway, say a prayer for the man. I hope he's doing okay.

Scott

Thanks for the info. I hope everything turns out ok for that family.

I'm afraid we all take the lightning for granted and don't always follow the "rules". At the first sound of thunder regardless of conditions, you are suppose to get inside away from windows and doors or get into a car and don't touch anything metal. Now how many of us do this??? Especially in Florida where this time of year, we get these storms everyday. Just this past week, 2 coworkers had lightning strikes near their homes and it blew out various possesions. One even works in the electrical department :scared1:and definitely knows better. He's looking for a new TV right now.

It sounds like these folks were lucky and will be fine. I didn't see anything on the local news today, so that's a good sign also. Thanks for the info and the reminder to be careful.

I heard it was actually not the tree it was sparklers. Disney banned them and the guy had them in his hand. You know Disney can control lightning right? Don't play with sparklers they act as lightning rods.

You know I'm totally kidding. I hope he is ok. Lightning usually comes before a storm and pops all over. Best thing to do is find cover.

Boy...that's somethin'...hope he's doing okay now.

We have friends that were caught in a real bad thunderstorm while returning to their site in the 300 loop, After just getting off the launch from the MK the skies opened up..and it started to POUR.
They couldn't see but two feet in front of them..rain was coming down in sheets. Anyway, the guys mother inlaw tripped and fell. Lightning was striking all around them. She's screaming..."leave me..save the kids"..they were terrified! He managed to get her up (scraped and bleeding) and they took shelter in the comfort station..Then he ran to get his wife who was cowering on the floor of the motor home with the dog. He tells this story quite humorously now (especially after he's had a few..:laughing:)...but they were really terrified when it happened. He said it was just like a horror movie with the cracking sound of the lightning striking trees and the ground around them.

That is very unfortunate. Lightning scares the crap out of me. I work outside for a living. Our company policy is no work if lightning is 5 miles away or closer, and no work until 30 minutes from the last strike. I have personally witnessed lightning strike on a clear sky day (ie bolt from the blue). Those can strike from cloud tops 30 miles away.

We heard that loud crack and all commented it sounded close and then we heard the sirens. hope everyone was ok. There was a similar loud one the tuesday before that sounded even closer. Those tall trees scare me, it seems they could fall so easily in those storms and do alot of damage.

This is why they say not to seek shelter from a storm beneath a tree.

DH & I would find "viney shaped" tubes of glass on the beach where lightning struck the sand and melted it into glass. Our last home was struck twice by lightning. Lightning does some wierd damage.

Central Florida storms produce a LOT of lightning. It's best to be inside when a storm starts. Like Donna said....it can appear to come out of nowhere.

have you ever seen what lightning can do to a cow?:scared::sick:

I was actually at the Mk when it hit.... My other DD picked us up at the boat ramp and said all kinds of fire equipment was at the site near ours so we went over to look... we were in the cabins in 2200 so maybe about 200 yds away....

we later took the Monorail to epcot and got to ride up front... we were told lightening also hit the monorail and was down for an hr and SSE was also hit that morning and there was a huge black mark on it i got pics( not loaded yet) he said it would be buffed out that night....

There was almost no rain when all this happened and my DD with me at Mk said mom lets go inside it doesn't sound good..... but no one was really paying attention to it at all....

That's scary. Our friend's horse was struck by lightning and killed. The kids were just about to get off the bus. Kinda scary thinking they were being dropped off in a lightning storm. It could have just as easily been them.

My aunt was killed by lightning on a clear sunny day. The lightning bolt didn't even strike her, it struck her friend whom she was standing next to. Her friend survived. Moral of the story - don't mess around with lightning.

It's also good to remember to lower any uhf antenna you may have raised at your campsite.

As Florida storms are known to rain on one side of the street, but not the other, it's not smart at all to wait for rain before hiding from lightning.

How scary. I hope everything turns out well for this family!

My husband sang at a funeral for a local guy in his his 30s that got struck by lightning in a fishing tournament a few years ago. All of the fishermen had been called in due to the weather, but after so long were released to go back out. He hadn't been back out on the water 5 minutes when he got struck. It was a very sad funeral...he had a wife and 3 small children.

How scary. I hope everything turns out well for this family!

My husband sang at a funeral for a local guy in his his 30s that got struck by lightning in a fishing tournament a few years ago. All of the fishermen had been called in due to the weather, but after so long were released to go back out. He hadn't been back out on the water 5 minutes when he got struck. It was a very sad funeral...he had a wife and 3 small children.
Omigod! That is so so sad. :worried:

Seems this has happened again...thought this might be of interest.

sorry article was removed...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter