Camper friendly Trip route from Northern NJ

AGH I can't decide! We are leaving Binghamton NY @ 2am Sat to make it to SC by late afternoon!

Easy. Take the 81/77/26/95/4 route from Binghamton. There are a bunch of KoAs along that route. If you want really push it and can make it into Georgia, the KoA Savannah South was easy to find off the interstate, clean and friendly. At this point you will be about 5 hours from Disney since you are fairly close to the top of Georgia. When you are in the Charlotte area, you are about 10 hours from Disney. I would figure 12 hours should put you somewhere in the NC region as I am factoring in fuel and food stops. That should be around 2 PM since you are leaving at 2 AM. Be aware there is a race this weekend in that area and it is a Saturday night affair. So take that in account as you maybe going though the area in pre race traffic or possible post race traffic depending on any unforeseen factors. I think the race is around 7 PM on Saturday. Now tiredness aside, if you chose to drive another few hours, you could be through a good chuck of SC and possibly on the GA border. There is a Pilot on 95 around mile marker 77 I think that has a great RV gas pump spot.

In my experience with this route, 81 in PA not bad but I picked it up at 78 intersection. I know the top of the side of 81 is a bit hilly. I have been to Scranton and above to almost Binghamton. When I'm up there, I usually stop at New Milford where I do my thing in that area. I digress Maryland, West Virginia and Virginia were not as bad I was thinking while towing. The only real hills came after Roanoke. There is a section of 77 in VA which has some beautiful vistas so make sure the passagers tell you about them as you pay attention of the road. NC would have been pretty quick but I had stopped and seen a friend outside of Mooresville. SC was the tough one. There was about 90 miles of 77, 50 miles of 26 and another 90 miles of 95 before the next state. That run was nearly the same amount of VA. Also the state felt more hilly than VA or PA. Of course the hard part of the drive was Florida. You are so close but yet so far from Disney. It was a relief to see the exit. Overall, I would use this route again if I were to drive down again. It was worth it for a low stress ride then again my parents were riding behind us and giving us blocks to get around slower vehicles.

Easy. Take the 81/77/26/95/4 route from Binghamton. There are a bunch of KoAs along that route. If you want really push it and can make it into Georgia, the KoA Savannah South was easy to find off the interstate, clean and friendly. At this point you will be about 5 hours from Disney since you are fairly close to the top of Georgia. When you are in the Charlotte area, you are about 10 hours from Disney. I would figure 12 hours should put you somewhere in the NC region as I am factoring in fuel and food stops. That should be around 2 PM since you are leaving at 2 AM. Be aware there is a race this weekend in that area and it is a Saturday night affair. So take that in account as you maybe going though the area in pre race traffic or possible post race traffic depending on any unforeseen factors. I think the race is around 7 PM on Saturday. Now tiredness aside, if you chose to drive another few hours, you could be through a good chuck of SC and possibly on the GA border. There is a Pilot on 95 around mile marker 77 I think that has a great RV gas pump spot.

In my experience with this route, 81 in PA not bad but I picked it up at 78 intersection. I know the top of the side of 81 is a bit hilly. I have been to Scranton and above to almost Binghamton. When I'm up there, I usually stop at New Milford where I do my thing in that area. I digress Maryland, West Virginia and Virginia were not as bad I was thinking while towing. The only real hills came after Roanoke. There is a section of 77 in VA which has some beautiful vistas so make sure the passagers tell you about them as you pay attention of the road. NC would have been pretty quick but I had stopped and seen a friend outside of Mooresville. SC was the tough one. There was about 90 miles of 77, 50 miles of 26 and another 90 miles of 95 before the next state. That run was nearly the same amount of VA. Also the state felt more hilly than VA or PA. Of course the hard part of the drive was Florida. You are so close but yet so far from Disney. It was a relief to see the exit. Overall, I would use this route again if I were to drive down again. It was worth it for a low stress ride then again my parents were riding behind us and giving us blocks to get around slower vehicles.

When I was at work last night my resident's family said 81 south to 17 south to Winchester, to 95:confused3 According to them this would get us out of Beltway.

We do have reservations at New Green Acres in Walterbro SC so that is our destination for tomorrow.

I am not familiar with that route. I spoke with my neighbor who I think took that route. He said it was fine. If it works, good for you. I hope my report was able to give some insight since my trip was pretty recent.

I am not familiar with that route. I spoke with my neighbor who I think took that route. He said it was fine. If it works, good for you. I hope my report was able to give some insight since my trip was pretty recent.

Yes thanks!:thumbsup2

When I was at work last night my resident's family said 81 south to 17 south to Winchester, to 95:confused3 According to them this would get us out of Beltway.

We do have reservations at New Green Acres in Walterbro SC so that is our destination for tomorrow.

81-17-95 drops you off just north of Fredrickburg, VA. Unless you plan to stop in Winchester for a food stop or break from driving, skip the US17 exit off 81 and head a few miles south to I66 East, then pick up US17 south heading to Warrenton. You avoid about 23 miles of various lights, and speed limit changes and 2 lane roads.

Ok we are buying our very first RV this weekend and I have been reading thru this thread and looking over maps to follow along and would like to know if I got this right. Love a more detailed set of directions as DH is one who would be doing the driving and I would be navigating him. Before this we always just did 95 straight down. :thumbsup2

Ok we are leaving Burlington county, NJ

So we will take-

295 to the Delaware Memorial Bridge
At exit 1 we take RT896 south
896 south becomes RT301 south
We go over the bay bridge and follow RT301/50
When RT50 splits from RT301
We follow RT50 to 495 Washington DC's outer loop
495 to 95
95 to 295 Richmand's outer loop
295 to 95
Continue on 95 until right before Jacksonville
Then take RT9A
RT9A to 95
95 to 4

Is this correct?:confused3

Also if we decided just to take 95 down cause we may leave early enough is our Class C RV ok to go in the tunnels? I do believe our hieght is ok at 12 1/2ft.

Also if we decided just to take 95 down cause we may leave early enough is our Class C RV ok to go in the tunnels? I do believe our hieght is ok at 12 1/2ft.

It would more depend on the propane tanks that you are carrying rather than the size. The size is not what makes a difference on the Ft, McHenry tunnel, as tractor trailers use it all the time. The following is from the Maryland DOT EZPass page:

Propane and Hazardous Material Information:

Vehicles carrying bottled propane gas in excess of 10 pounds per container (maximum of 10 containers), bulk gasoline, explosives, significant amounts of radioactive materials, and other hazardous materials are prohibited from using both the Fort McHenry and Baltimore Harbor Tunnels. For additional information regarding these restrictions, please call 410-537-1374.

If you take 95 S, when you get to the northern end of Baltimore you take 695 towards Towsen. That avoids the restrictions and drops you right back onto I95 south. It is not a huge delay, but it does add some travel time. From there you follow 95 and I do recommend taking the 295 loop around Richmond (less pot holes and tight curves) and you dont loose any time.

From there just stick to 95S all the way to I4 Jacksonville has completed most of the I95 construction and since they removed the concrete barriers its been a breeze to drive through the last 2 years.

As for stopping points, we start further south then you, but we generally make to Exit 33 of I95 in SC and stay at Point South KOA. There is another park many like at exit 53. In GA there is Savannah KOA, but we never make it that far because at that point we are 12 hours total on the road with stops and just want to shut down for the night.

From there its about 6 hours with a lunch stop to Disney.

Instead of getting on 495 near DC why not stay on Rt 301 and follow it into Va and follow the signs to 95 and get back on at exit 104 that is 1 exit above Kings Dominion you avoid all the construction and traffic at the top of Va and also the tunnel in Balt. We prefer this route but just remember that's us not everyone likes this way.
If you go right doen 95 tune into 103.5 for traffic reports on the 8's all day long they do a good job on their reports.

If you take 95 S, when you get to the northern end of Baltimore you take 695 towards Towsen.

So going towards Towsen is better then going towards Essex? Looking at the map it looks like Essex is shorter but guessing Towsen is a better drive? Sorry for all the questions but love the info I'm getting. :love:

I was not thrilled with the 95 route coming home. Of course I caught rush hour on Friday outside of DC. Practically burned up my rear brakes dealing with the traffic in the area. I would should have just reversed course of what my trip route was going down. Then again you are in Southern Jersey. 95 pretty much becomes your only trip route. Good luck.

So going towards Towsen is better then going towards Essex? Looking at o he map it looks like Essex is shorter but guessing Towsen is a better drive? Sorry for all the questions but love the info I'm getting. :love:
It is actually shorter to go the east side to to the Key Bridge( toll) plus I think less traffic, I drive 95 every night for work and when there is a problem I always use the east side. Keep in mind to watch the electonic signs for info because if by chance there is high winds they close the bridge to RV's and empty trucks.

Instead of getting on 495 near DC why not stay on Rt 301 and follow it into Va and follow the signs to 95 and get back on at exit 104 that is 1 exit above Kings Dominion you avoid all the construction and traffic at the top of Va and also the tunnel in Balt. We prefer this route but just remember that's us not everyone likes this way.
If you go right doen 95 tune into 103.5 for traffic reports on the 8's all day long they do a good job on their reports.

Interested in this route. Leaving NJ at 4am next Saturday morning and this seems like a good route. How does this road compare to an interstate? Is there a lot of intersections or highway. We have only ever taken 95 but with RV this time we are avoiding tunnels.

Thanks everyone for the info. We bought our first RV over the weekend and drove it from Virgina back to NJ. We took the 695 towards Towson to bypass the tunnels in baltimore and it worked out great. Not a bad drive and didn't feel like it added much time to the trip. Can't wait to take it down to Florida. Needs some cleaning and personalizing first. :goodvibes

ArielRae,if you take the route I posted it well save you the tolls in Delaware,Maryland,and the FSK Bridge.These tolls are large for MH's as you found out bringing your new MH back to NJ.The ride down 301 is a nice easy ride with no traffic and NO tolls south bound except for the Delaware Bridge.If the traffic is light you can stay on 95 thru Richmond and this saves you about 30 miles and give you more options to stop and gas up before entering NC where the price is .40 to .60 cents more a gallon.When you get to Jacksonville you stay on 95 with all construction now being complete.From the Jersey Shore to WDW is an easy 16 to 18 hours depending on stops along the way.

Interested in this route. Leaving NJ at 4am next Saturday morning and this seems like a good route. How does this road compare to an interstate? Is there a lot of intersections or highway. We have only ever taken 95 but with RV this time we are avoiding tunnels.

There are a few spots where you will hit a series of traffic lights but unless you hit it at rush hour it should not be that bad. The road is a 2 lanes mostly each way with a grassy divider except where a few larger towns are it is a pleasant drive average speed is usually 55mph, I think it's a more relaxed drive.
There is 1 toll southbound at the Nice Bridge crossing into Va. and 1 toll northbound at the Bay Bridge.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter