Calling out sick from work

My company's policy is if you call out, you must do so at least 2 hours prior to the start of your shift. You must speak with your department manager or store management (I work as a pharmacy tech in a grocery store chain). I've only called out once in the 10 years I've been working here, right after my mother had back surgery, was at home, fell and hit her head; they wanted to check her for a concussion, and somebody had to meet her at the hospital to drive her home.

We don't have sick days or vacation days at my job (college professor/administrator) - if I'm sick, I just don't come in. I will usually let my secretary know and she'll write a note on my door, and I will also let my staff know that they won't see me that day. And if I'm teaching, I'll e-mail my students and let them know that class is cancelled.

So you’re expected to go to work sick & spread your illness to young children 😳. I certainly would much rather my preschool tell me they’re closed for the day then have me send DS to be exposed.

Well you certainly would be the minority at our school....we've had to close once or twice for medical emergencies and parents were NOT happy. And besides where do you think we're getting the germs in the first place....:laughing::sad2: Parents bring their sick children into school all the time then act shocked when we have to call for them to be picked up four hours after drop off(usually enough time for medication to wear off.) :confused3

I've been there long enough, like a previous poster said, I have a great immune system so I rarely get sick anymore....sometimes I would just like to be able call off like other people do. :laughing:

Well you certainly would be the minority at our school....we've had to close once or twice for medical emergencies and parents were NOT happy. And besides where do you think we're getting the germs in the first place....:laughing::sad2: Parents bring their sick children into school all the time then act shocked when we have to call for them to be picked up four hours after drop off(usually enough time for medication to wear off.) :confused3

I've been there long enough, like a previous poster said, I have a great immune system so I rarely get sick anymore....sometimes I would just like to be able call off like other people do. :laughing:
Ugh! I would not like that! I’m a firm believer that if you’re sick STAY HOME from school or work!

I just send a text or an email. I can work from wherever I am, so it's no big deal.

I work in a 24 hour emergency dispatch center, so our rule is you have to call in and speak to the on-duty supervisor 3 hours prior to the start of your shift.

If it's me, I text my boss.

Back in the day when I was a staff nurse I think you had to call out by 3 hours before your shift so they could rearrange staffing, which is understandable. And the person you spoke to would say “what’s wrong?”...I’m talking early 80s here.
Somewhere along the way they stopped asking but the 3 hour rule remained.

Now I just text my small group in my department (theres 4 of us) as soon as I know. Thankfully I don’t get sick a lot.

I just had someone "call out" sick for a volunteer thing we were doing last night! I appreciate the email but sending it the day after does me no good, I was stranded in the moment trying someone else to fill their slot, not sure if they were just running late or not coming at all. A total of 20 volunteers organized for last night and 3 didn't show, and 1 showed and said that they were there but couldn't actually do their job because they weren't feeling well. good times

I just text or email my manager before I'd typically arrive at work. It's rare for me to actually take a sick day rather than just work from home. I think the last time was 2 years ago.

Being out of the classroom is awful for teachers -- I have to be exceptionally downtrodden to actually stay out of school. If I'm at all able, I'd rather drag my sorry sick self in and just show a movie.

For a planned absence, I must
- Submit the date to my principal for approval (yeah, he sometimes says no).
- Arrange the date with a substitute.
- Submit the date to an electronic data base.
- Write up a sub plan, which is exponentially more work than doing it myself.
- The next day, deal with half the work not having been done /having been done wrong.

For a last-minute absence, I must
- Submit the date to the electronic data base and HOPE they actually get a sub for the room.
- Come in before school starts /leave work for the class.
- Again, the next day deal with half the work not having been done /having been done wrong.

So you’re expected to go to work sick & spread your illness to young children 😳. I certainly would much rather my preschool tell me they’re closed for the day then have me send DS to be exposed.

Well, I mean, where do you think teachers pick up these illnesses? From sick kids who get dosed with fever reducer and sent to school/daycare.

Last edited:

Right?? "X has a fever?? He was fine this morning!!" Sure he was. This 102 degree fever and diarrhea came out of nowhere. :rolleyes:

I’m a teacher. I email the principal and have to put my absence in sub a finder. Then I have to get lesson plans for the sub. It’s way too much work to call in sick.

Right?? "X has a fever?? He was fine this morning!!" Sure he was. This 102 degree fever and diarrhea came out of nowhere. :rolleyes:
This actually did happen to me as a kid. I was fine all morning. Felt normal.

About 11am comes around and I just suddenly have to throw up. Was doing my classwork one moment and the next trying to get down the hall to the bathroom... I didn't make it. No fever in the nurses office when I got there, but by the time my mom arrived my temp was about 100. So it CAN happen... though I bet 99% of the time it's the parent dosing a kid up and sending them off to school.

This actually did happen to me as a kid. I was fine all morning. Felt normal.

About 11am comes around and I just suddenly have to throw up. Was doing my classwork one moment and the next trying to get down the hall to the bathroom... I didn't make it. No fever in the nurses office when I got there, but by the time my mom arrived my temp was about 100. So it CAN happen... though I bet 99% of the time it's the parent dosing a kid up and sending them off to school.

I don't doubt it's possible. But after 20+ years, I put nothing past parents trying to get their sick kids to school. I remember once calling a parent because their 3 year old was running over 105 degrees. She came to the school and said she was going to give him Tylenol and go back to work. We said no way, we can't keep him, he needs to see a doctor, etc. After 5 minutes of arguing back and forth, she finally said "well what are you going to do if I just leave" - my director looked her in the eye and said we'd call CPS.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter