• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Calling from the Magic?

stulaurie

Mouseketeer
My husband needs to call work while we are on the Eastern. E-Mail is not an option. I know from the ship it would be too expensive. Anyone ever call from St. Martin or St. Thomas? Should we buy a phone card before we go, or probably get one when we are there? Any info. would be helpful. Thanks

I've never done the 7-day cruise, only the 4-day to the Bahamas. You're right about it being too expensive to call from the ship - something like $6.95 a minute. When we were in the Bahamas, we had to call home unexpectedly due to a family crisis and didn't have our phone card with us, so we had to buy a Bahamas Telephone Co. card. I know I have seen people say that their regular phone cards worked. You would just need to be sure to check with the phone card people to be sure you know if you need to use any special codes to dial the U.S.

We have rung home to UK from St. Thomas a couple of times, using an international phone card. No probs at all. There are phones dotted along the main street by the beach.Nat :Pinkbounc

We called home using our credit card both St Thomas and St Maarten,and I won't do that again.The prices were outrageous.I would buy a phone card from there,and use it there.You will be better off.That is what I am doing in November of this year when we cruise again.I know there are several shopping areas right by both ports,so you should find one without any problems.

Maria

My friend used a pay phone with her pre-paid calling card on St. Thomas with no problems at all!

Stacy

Will your husband's company let him expense the calls? They really should if they require him to call the office.

My sister was required to stay in touch with her office via phone and he company let her expense all the calls. Each company is different, but if the company puts the burden on the employee to call, the company really should pay.

I have never made calls from either islands, but have from the ship. My daughter was so sick that they were threatening to med-flight her to a hospital in the Bahamas. I made a call home (to talk to my sister who is a nurse)... the call was only a few minutes... and paid well over $30! I do know that all of the CMs get off at St Thomas (US Territory) to make their calls... that would probably be your best bet.

Our Verizon cell phone worked from St. Thomas, but not St. Maarten.

I called Sprint today and they said that they do have service for St. Thomas, but not St. Martin. The cost from St. Thomas would be the $4.00 per month to add international then .50 for roaming and then .25 for long distance per minute. I guess it will be just as easy to get a phone card when we get to St. Martin. Anyone know a store near the port where we can get one? Also, has anyone gotten a signal with their cell phone from Castaway Cay? I'm guessing that they do not have any pay phones there.

Thanks

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter