Calling All WDW and DL Experts

eva

Often uses her unique ability to close threads.
I have read over both Birnbaum's and the Unofficial DL Planning guide, but I can't find anywhere that talks about the difference between rides at both WDW and DL. What I mean is what rides do both have in common, but have some differences to watch for. The only one I found was in the Birnbaum book that stated that the Haunted Mansion has a slight difference in the expanding room. In one the ceiling rises and the other the floor drops. But they didn't state which happened in what park. Are there any differences in rides like POC, ToT, etc? I've been to WDW numerous times, but have never been to DL. I just wondered if some of you could give some things to watch for. Thanks!

Yup-

DL Pirates puts WDWs to shame (IMO) as its longer and to me more of a story line
WDWs Tower puts DLs to shame theme wise but DLs ride is great

Most of the "same" rides have some differences- Some I prefer WDWs others I prefer DLs

and for the Mansion- DL's is an actual elevator wheras WDWs is the ceiling

Currently reading the 2005 EconoGuide for Disneyland. It compares the rides in WDW, DL & Paris - a good read. Also, covers the general area for "outside excurisons". Good Luck.

Space Mountain-DL awesome effects, great speed, and a sound track, and this was before the repo that opens in July. WDW was such a let down, I felt it was slow, no sound track and you could see the track (not dark enough).

Pirates of the Carribean-DL great drop at the beginning of the ride versus WDW. However, I like WDW que to get on to the ride better than DL. The ride is longer and better sights in DL compared to WDW.

Haunted Mansion-WDW has an entirely different looking house than DL. In the movie it is made to look like WDW's house. Also, in DL the glass that separates the riders from the dance scene has a spider like crack in it from someone shooting a BB gun at it, the glass was so expensive to replace that they made it look like a spider web. Look closely or you will miss it.

Splash Mountain-The scenes at both parks are different in a lot of places during the ride. Also, the log itself is different, in WDW you sit side by side in 2's, and at DL you sit front to back by 1's.

Disneyland Railroad-In DL you get to go through a tunnel with scenes of the Grand Canyon and Primeavil World. The stops are in different locations as well.

Hope this helps you. :banana:

<b>Attractions not at WDW, or that are different</b>:<br>
<br>
<b>DISNEYLAND</b><br>
<br>
<b>Main Street</b>:<br>
<br>
<u>Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln</u>: Walt Disney personally worked on this attraction, and he had a special interest in President Abe Lincoln. The Hall of Presidents is based on it, but this is still worth watching. It was recently refurbished, and uses a new technique with headphones that make the sounds seem like they are right next to you. This attraction is the first one you’ll see (besides the railroad) when you enter Main Street.<br>
<u>Railroad: </u> Although there is a railroad at the Magic Kingdom in Walt Disney World, the one at Disneyland is different. It circles the park, and you can see the various lands. It also stops at New Orleans Square, Toontown/Fantasyland, and Tomorrowland. After Tomorrowland, you’ll go through a diorama that shows the Grand Canyon and the Primeval World. It takes about 20 minutes to circle the park. It’s also a nice way to get from one land to another.<br>
<br> ºoº<br>
<b>Adventureland</b>: <br>
<br>
<u> Tiki Room</u> (has the original show)<br>
<u> The Jungle Cruise</u> (this is set up differently – kind of backwards from the one at WDW, and doesn’t have a temple)<br>
<u> Tarzan’s Treehouse </u> (used to be Swiss Family Robinson – worth a visit)<br>
<u> Indiana Jones</u> (the ride is almost identical to Countdown to Extinction/Dinosaur @ Animal Kingdom; however, due to theming difference, this ride is far superior)<br>
<br> ºoº<br>
<b>New Orleans Square</b>: <br>
<br>
<u> Pirates of the Caribbean</u> – For one thing, this is set in a New Orleans setting instead of Adventureland, like @ WDW. The queue is better at WDW, but this ride is themed so much better at DL<br>
<u> Haunted Mansion</u> – this is also different at DL, although personally, I can’t say I like one better than the other – they are just “different” and it is worth riding.<br>
<br>
<i>Trivia about Pirates of the Caribbean and Haunted Mansion:</i> Walt Disney wanted a place that would be set apart from the rest of the world, and with the limited options in the Anaheim area, he had a berm built around the park, and set the railroad on it, so the train goes around the park, stopping at various lands (Main Street, New Orleans Square, Toontown, and Tomorrowland). In the earlier years @ Disneyland, you could not see any of the city outside the walls, except for a couple of spots in the park. Well, when they built Pirates and Haunted Mansion, they needed to put the ride someplace, so they dug a tunnel under the berm, and put the rides outside of the park. So, when you go on Pirates of the Caribbean, and go down the two small drops, you are really going under the train berm and into the ride. In the Haunted Mansion, the stretching room, is really an elevator that takes you down and you go through the hallway (tunnel) to the actual attraction. You’ll notice that both attractions take you back up to street level at the end.<br>
<br> ºoº<br>
<b>Critter Country</b>: <br>
<br>
<u> Splash Mountain </u>– this attraction is pretty different than the one @ WDW, and the seats are different in the log. You sit in single file, and each seat has a backrest. I don’t know if one is “better” than the other – they are just different.<br>
<u> Davy Crockett Canoes </u>– they don’t have canoes @ WDW. These are fun to do – everyone has to paddle, but watch out – the person in front of you just might accidentally splash you as you go around Tom Sawyer’s Island.<br>
<u> The Adventures of Winnie the Pooh </u>– This is a brand new dark ride, and is different than the one at the WDW Magic Kingdom<br>
<br> ºoº<br>
<b>Frontierland</b>:<br>
<br>
<u> Tom Sawyers Island </u>– I think this is different, although I am not sure.<br>
<u> Thunder Mountain Railroad </u> is basically the same, but the track runs in the opposite direction (from what I’ve been told).<br>
<br> ºoº<br>
<b>Fantasyland</b><br>
<br>
Almost all of the attractions are different here. The ones I am not sure about are Snow White’s Scary Adventures and Pinocchio. <br>
<br>
<u> Peter Pan </u>– different and charming. <br>
<u> Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride </u>– no longer have it at WDW. <br>
<u> King Arthur’s Carousel </u>– it’s been recently refurbished. When you see it, look for Jingles, the lead horse. You can tell who Jingles is by the bells hanging ‘round the neck. <br>
<u> It’s a Small World </u>– this ride is very different than the one at WDW, and it’s the original. Try to time it so that you’re in front of the attraction at a quarter of hour ( :00, :15, :30, :45) for a little clock show. <br>
<br> ºoº<br>
<I>These are unique to Disneyland: </I><br>
<br>
<u> Alice in Wonderland </u>– a dark ride like Peter Pan, with a nice ending as your caterpillar rides down the leaves when you leave<br>
<u> Matterhorn </u>– first steel coaster built – it’s just a tad rocky. You sit two to a seat in tandem style, and four to a bobsled. There are two sides – the Fantasyland side is a little smoother, and the Tomorrowland side is faster. This is one of my favorites to ride at night<br>
<u> Storybook Land Canal Boats </u>– you ride in a boat outside and go through Monstro the whale’s mouth to tour miniature villages of Disney characters (very charming attraction)<br>
<u> Casey Jr Circus Train </u> - (as you go up the hill, try & see if you can hear him say “I think I can”) wields its way around the same area that the Storybook Land Canal Boats go on – this is a fun ride. Here’s something only a few know…During the Believe fireworks show, Tinkerbell flies from the Matterhorn mountain past the castle. When you are on Casey Jr, you can follow the cable with your eyes, and see the treehouse where she actually lands. It’s hidden in the trees in Frontierland.<br>
<br> ºoº<br>
<b>Toontown</b><br>
<br>
This whole land is nicely set up. It gets crowded during the day, and closes in preparation for the fireworks, so time it right when you visit. Early morning or late at night are best. <br>
<br>
<u> Roger Rabbit’s Cartoon Spin </u>– this is a dark ride like Mr. Toad, except you get to spin your car round and round.<br>
<br> ºoº<br>
<b>Tomorrowland</b><br>
<br>
<u> Space Mountain </u>: I like the one @ DL much better – you sit side by side in the cars, and if you’re lucky, you’ll get a car that has the music – makes the ride very exciting.<br>
<u> Autopia </u>: This whole ride was redone in 2000, and the track is fun to drive – you even get to go “off-roading” – I definitely recommend this one, too. Even the adults should enjoy it.<br>
<u> Buzz Lightyear Astroblasters</u>: The newest attraction at Disneyland. It might be shorter than at WDW, but the cool thing here is that you can lift your blasters for a better aim, and then email your picture home or to a friend. This attraction will also be interactive on the Internet in the beginning of June.<br>
<br>
(Star Tours is exactly like the one at MGM Studios, and so is Honey I Shrank the Audience)<br>
<br>*****<br><br>
<b>DISNEY’S CALIFORNIA ADVENTURE</b><br>
<br>
<b>Golden State</b><br>
<br>
<u> Soarin’ Over California </u>– There is no other attraction like this one. You ride in a simulated hand glider over scenes of California landscape while listening to music – very nice. If you need motion sickness medicine, then take it for this attraction because you won’t want to miss it<br>
<u> Grizzly River Run </u> – Similar to Kali River Rapids, but much better. This attraction takes place in the prominent Grizzly Bear Mountain.<br.
<u> Redwood Creek Challenge Trail </u>– Similar, yet different, to the areas where children can run around, go down slides, climb ladders, etc. There is also a storytelling amphitheater here, where you can listen to original Native American stories.<br>
<u> Tortilla Factory & Boudin Bakery tours</u><br>
<br> ºoº<br>
<b>Paradise Pier</b><br>
<br>
<u> California Screamin’ </u>– This loop rollercoaster is very different from Rockin’ Rollercoaster. It’s smoother, and has only one loop, plus it is outside.<br>
<u> Golden Dreams </u>– Film telling the dreams and sacrifices of the early settlers of California – worth seeing<br>
Various “boardwalk type rides”: <u> Maliboomer, Mulholland Madness, Orange Stinger, Sun Wheel, etc. </u><br>
<br> ºoº<br>
<b>A Bug’s Land</b><br>
<br>
Various kiddie rides<br>
<br> ºoº<br>
<b>Hollywood Pictures Backlot</b><br>
<br>
<u> Animation Station </u>– Different than the one at WDW, and includes an interactive area that is fun to visit<br>
<u> Hyperion Theater </u>– Aladdin the Musical – This show is unique to DCA, and well worth seeing.<br>
<u>Tower of Terror</u> - The WDW version is more extensive in that you go across the building in the Twilight Zone. They couldn’t build the same thing at California Adventure, so you immediately enter the Twilight Zone as soon as the elevator doors close. There are some different special effects that give this ride a different experience than the one at Walt Disney World.<br>
<br>
The rest of the attractions are identical, or extremely similar to the attractions at Walt Disney World.<br>
<br>*****<br><br>

Someone please correct the ones I got wrong.

Once again Mary Jo comes through. What a great list. Thanks Mary Jo!!

-Matthew

WDW has Snow White's Scary Adventure but does not have Pinocchio's Daring Journey (I think that's what it's called ;) ). I happen to love the Snow White ride at WDW. When I get back from my trip in October, I'd be happy to tell you of any differences.

What's the Pinoccchio ride like? I am especially looking forward to that one, Alice, & riding Mr. Toad again (used to be a favorite when I was a kid).

I think your list should be in the FAQs because it has a lot of valuable info!

Wow, Mary Jo, what a great list! Give that woman a raise!! Now I am really getting excited to go; it's funny how I don't really think much about actually being there until all the details of the planning are worked out.

I just got to go to Disneyland for the first time after having been to WDW many times, and it was cool to compare the different attractions. For one thing, as others have said, the DL version of Pirates of the Caribbean is MUCH better than the WDW one. Also, I found that I liked the WDW version of Splash Mountain better than the Disneyland version. It just seemed like in the DL version you flew through it, whereas the WDW one is a bit slower. I was there right after Christmas, so I can't really compare the two Haunted Mansions as they had the holiday version when I was there. Anyway, have a great time in Disneyland- you'll love it!!

The list of differences is awesome! This WDW veteran can't wait for her visit to DL. However, SOARIN' is soon to come to EPCOT. It is being built right now at the Land pavillion in EPCOT and I believe is opening up in July 2005. From what I understand it will be just like the one in CA.
:Pinkbounc :earboy2: :wave2:

luvalldisney said:
The list of differences is awesome! This WDW veteran can't wait for her visit to DL. However, SOARIN' is soon to come to EPCOT. It is being built right now at the Land pavillion in EPCOT and I believe is opening up in July 2005. From what I understand it will be just like the one in CA.
:Pinkbounc :earboy2: :wave2:

Yup, it is the exact same film as the one in Disneyland- my family got to test it when we were in WDW last month. I think it might now be open to the public, but I'm not totally sure...

tinknsnow said:
WDW has Snow White's Scary Adventure but does not have Pinocchio's Daring Journey (I think that's what it's called ;) ). I happen to love the Snow White ride at WDW. When I get back from my trip in October, I'd be happy to tell you of any differences.

What's the Pinoccchio ride like? I am especially looking forward to that one, Alice, & riding Mr. Toad again (used to be a favorite when I was a kid).

I think your list should be in the FAQs because it has a lot of valuable info!

Good point. I'll add my list to the DLR Faqs thread... That list is a year old, so I'll update it to reflect current, like Soaring. I hope WDW changes their film to reflect either the US or the world -- it kind of saddens me that WDW is ripping off the facets of Disneyland that do make it unique - like Soaring over CALIFORNIA and redoing Small World, etc., but that's my own opinion, & I probably won't mention it again. :)

Mary Jo said:
Good point. I'll add my list to the DLR Faqs thread... That list is a year old, so I'll update it to reflect current, like Soaring. I hope WDW changes their film to reflect either the US or the world -- it kind of saddens me that WDW is ripping off the facets of Disneyland that do make it unique - like Soaring over CALIFORNIA and redoing Small World, etc., but that's my own opinion, & I probably won't mention it again. :)

Mention it all you want. I've seen it jokingly as, "It's time to Recycle the Magic!" (Now I have the "Remember the Magic" song stuck in my head!)

And don't forget, WDW is marketing it as "We're importing some of the best of
every Disney park!" There's Soarin' from DL/DCA, Lights, Motors, Action from DLP, and Cinderellabration from TDL.

And to be fair, DL's "imported" WDW's Buzz Lightyear and Tower of Terror,
so it's mutual, right?

As someone who has more WDW experience than DL experience, I found that
DL was a lot better than WDW's Magic Kingdom, when you put them side by side. Sure, there are a couple of exceptions (as I prefer WDW's Splash over DL's), but I found the DL version to be superior most often.

Disneyfamfan said:
Space Mountain-DL awesome effects, great speed, and a sound track, and this was before the repo that opens in July. WDW was such a let down, I felt it was slow, no sound track and you could see the track (not dark enough).
I am SOOO glad you said this! When I rode on SM at MK last month I thought the same thing. MK's really lacks the fast up & down's and 360's. Plus, I didn't see any flying chocolate chip cookies (what my family affectionately calls the meteors on the ceiling!) :teeth:

And yes, Mary Jo, that list was wonderful! Could not have done any better myself!

I've created a new thread for the attractions that I will stick in the FAQ thread at the top - your comments regarding these differences & your experiences with them would be appreciated :)

Here's a minor difference most people won't notice on Splash Mountain - The WDW version has a section just before the big drop where some sort of rodent (chipmunk? groundhog?) pops down from the ceiling and chants "F-S-U!"
Yup, it was programed by a Florida State grad. :crazy:

I haven't heard it in DL's version...no surprise there.

Thanks so much everyone! Boy, I am getting really excited about our trip in August. I was pretty sad that I wouldn't be making it to WDW this year. But planning a whole brand new trip has really got me going again. I'm starting to feel like I did the first time that we went to WDW.

PLAN! PLAN! PLAN!

Does anyone know what kind of stollers they have at Disneyland and Califorinia adventure? I have a 3 year old and I just want to make sure that he will fit into stroller they rent out.
:earsboy:
Thanks,
Kyleboy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter