Calling All Home Gardeners - Get Your Veggie Seeds

samsteele

DIS Veteran
Noticed when I was placing my online order for 2021 vegetable seeds that some varieties already sold out or crop failed so no seeds for that variety available.

Looks like another wild year for home gardeners wanting to buy vegetable and annuals seeds. The rush has started very early. Not even mid January yet.

Just a heads up to put in your order sooner rather than later.

ps I've had great luck with McKenzie Seeds and also Lindenberg Seeds for 20 yrs. Reliable and affordable. I try to order from at least 2 different companies to increase my odds of receiving what I want and better yield in case one line is a bust. Lots of other well known Canadian seed houses as well including Stokes, Veseys and OSC.

We had a really cold and late spring here in Central Ontario last year so peas failed. But I started a variety of tomato seeds, kale and sweet basil indoors early from seed and all did very well. I planted most in container pots on my balcony and a few in my small vegetable garden. I direct seeded pole beans in container pots last year (to protect from the bunnies) and zucchini in the garden. All of these did very well. I had no luck trying to grow potatos or onion sets in growing bags.

But I did have great success with buying 2 or 3 bunches of green onions from the grocery store, cutting off the green tops and then putting the white bulbs with roots in glass containers/old spaghetti jars in water to grow. Placed in sunny window sill, changed the water every few days, and in a few weeks had lots of new green shoots. I harvested what I needed from the onion tops then planted the very well rooted white bulbs in my vegetable garden. They took off and did extremely well. Had fresh green onions all summer. Would also be a fun experiment to do with kids at home or for a school project.

Thanks for this tip! There are a few things I want to try to grow this summer. Just on a small scale, in some large planter boxes for fresh eating. And maybe a few tomato plants to be able to make some salsa and tomato sauce!!! It will beat having to try to find seeds at the stores here. Last summer it was a nightmare. I think people here were hording seeds as well, because with everything that happened last year, they were trying to plan ahead.

Thanks for the heads up. I ran into this problem last year - so many seeds I wanted were sold out when I tried to buy in March/April. So I'll get on this now. The way our winter is going, should be an early spring... fingers crossed at least.

Since we are planning to move May-ish (fingers crossed) I guess I won't be starting anything this year. I'll try and get some pots together after we move maybe. I have little luck with gardening but sometimes the tomatoes turn out well. And kiddo love cucumbers, which my parents did in pots last year. I think if I start them in the house my cats will eat them...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter