Calling all Atkins experts...need help!

d4est

<font color=orange><b>The Tag Fairy is really Ghos
Okay. Today is my 17th day, still following induction. Week one I lost 8lbs, from 180 to 172. Week 2 I lost 3bls, from 172 to 169. Then the scale has been back and forth with the same last 3 pounds and seems to be staying between 170-171. I added excercise last week, 3x/wk. Does adding excercise have anything to do with this? Cause I have actually GAINED back, it would seem, a few of the lost pounds. It is driving me crazy! This is with NO cheats.

Also, TOM has showed up a week early and I have always been VERY regular. Does Atkins have anything to do with this? Could also be why my weight is kinda stuck?

Thanks for any responses.

I would think that because it's TOM you will have some water weight gain.

Also remember, that when we excercise we gain muscle and that weighs more than fat.

Keep doing what your doing. This is a life change not just a diet.

Weight loss should be slow and steady. Stay focused on the little goals instead of the big ones. You are getting fitter, your body has to readjust. Sometimes when we give the body things that it is not used too, it holds back what it has.

Good luck!!!

Hey, thanks for the reply. I am hoping it is a combo of these things and my body will readjust by the end of the week. I thought about the muscle heavier than fat thing, but I can't imagine I have put on that much muscle in the 3 workouts.

Anyway, thanks. I am going to keep on plucking along...for now!

You can begin to put on muscle, but you also must account for TOM. It makes me heavier than I can imagine. Give it a week or so. If things don't change, look at your carb count and see if you are eating any hidden carbs.

d4est

could you have a yeast problem?

he talks about this in his book.

here is his list

1. Excessive insulin and insulin resistance, usually accompanied by high triglycerides

2. the use of prescriptin drugs or hormones which impede weight loss

3 Underactive thyroid (hypothyroid) functions, which can be present even when blood test indicate no abnormality.

4. Overgrowth of the yeast organism Candida Albicans.

to fix the above
1. excessive insulin - L-carnitine 500mg three times daily can be increased to 5,000 mg per day if neceesary.Also Co-enxyme 300 mg - CoQ10

2- drugs that are a problem
a.Estrogens and most synthetic hormone replacement therapies (HRT), including birth control pills

b. anti-depressant drugs

c. insulin and insulin-stimulating drugs

d. Anti-arthritis medications (including Steroids)

e. Diuretics and beta-blockers

there is a whole chapter on it
from his book
dr arkins new diet revolution - Chapter 20 - metabolic resistance - causes and solution.

worst case - you can't do Atkins and must count caleroies - sorry!!!

First, thanks for all the replies!

I should mention that I did atkins before...two years ago with great success. I lost 18lbs and got down to 132. I lost 14lbs during induction.

That is why this is really weird to me. Esp the early TOM thing. Like I said, I have been regular, as in just about down to the hour, for years.

As far as the yeast thing...
I have no idea about #1, how could I tell?
2. the only prescription I take is the pill...have for a long time
3. thyroid...don't know? Did have it checked this summer...normal results. What would the symptoms be?
4. again, no idea!

I wouldn't say that I am resistant. I lost 8lbs the first week. That doesn't put me in the high resistance category.

I have heard something about the "one golden shot" theory. Maybe that's it. Gosh, I hope not.

Going to keep at it...we'll see. Again, thanks for the input!

PS, thought maybe a daily menu would help. Here's what I ate today (so far)

B-2 cups coffee with sweetn'low
2 sausage patties and a carb control yogurt

S-decaf green mint tea with sweetn'low

L-salad with 2 tbs italian dressing and a tbs mayo
SF jello

Thats it for now...

I didn't think you could have any coffee or tea or cokes in the induction.

that is why I have not started it - I don't like to drink just water 24 hours a day 7 days a week for at least 2 weeks if not more.

okay you can add some lemons or limes....but it is still water!

and worst yet - no Orange Juice.....oh I need my OJ.....

spiceycat: you can have tea, coffee and sodas, preferably with splenda and no caffeine during induction.

d4est: I've not tried the carb control yogurt--does it have a lot of sugar alcohol--that can sometimes stall loss. Also, are you eating enough?? Did you have any protein with lunch?

I expect that it is a combination of all the factors: TOM, exercise, etc. Good luck and keep at it.

d4est: I've not tried the carb control yogurt--does it have a lot of sugar alcohol--that can sometimes stall loss. Also, are you eating enough?? Did you have any protein with lunch?

The carb control yogurt is made with splenda. I did fail to mention that my salad contained 2 slices (cut up) of deli ham...no carbs (according to the package).

I really am hoping that it is just a combo of things and if I keep at it I will have a "whoosh" at the end of the week. Fingers crossed...

First of all... it's VERY common to lose quite a bit the first 2 weeks of induction, and then pause (or bounce a little) while your body catches up to the weightloss.

Yes, low-carb, especially in the first few months, can often have strange effects on your cycle. With the water and fat being released from the cells, you have extra hormones floating around all of a sudden. It should even itself out as your body gets used to the changes, and gets into a new "normal" groove.

If you're all of a sudden excersizing, you're not only building muscle, but that new muscle is holding onto glucose and water while it's building. Between that and TOM, you're probably looking at water weight. Higher sodium foods will cause you to retain water as well.

Then there's allowed foods on induction. Best to follow induction to the letter for at least the first two weeks. Yes, you can add decaf coffee, tea and sugar-free caffeine free soft drinks. Though it's best if you can avoid them. If you are drinking those (in addition to your basic 8 8-oz. glasses of water), just be sure to count the actual carbs you're taking in (yes, even decaf coffee and sugar-free sodas have carbs, not to mention whatever you're adding to coffee/tea).

Probably best to avoid things like yogurt and other low-carb products in the first two weeks, too... it's only 14 days, and you'll have a lifetime to add them in later. Stick to the basics, meat, eggs, veggies, cheese, cream... for those first 2 weeks (and as often as you can afterwards)... you'll find it easier to lose weight and healthier in the long run.

As far as your menu... just make sure you're counting all carbs (use a program/site like www.fitday.com to help you out) you're consuming, and make sure you eat enough. You shouldn't be hungry.

It's not going to be a steady loss every day or every week... don't be concerned too much with little pauses here and there.

:)

dizneegirl-Thanks for your thoughtful reply. Almost all of what you mentioned, I have thought about. Except the hormone thing and the new muscle-water-glucose stuff. That was all new to me.

I am on my third week, so it is not really induction, but pretty darned close. I did lose, what I would consider, a lot in the first week (8lbs) and 3 the second. Now that I am in my third week, I did expect things to slow, but NOT reverse! I have actually, now, gained 3lbs this week. I really hope it is just a water/muscle/readjustment thing.

As far as carbs, I do count my coffee, tea, lettuce, cheese etc, as I know that they all have some carbs...even my eggs. I am sure I am not going over. In fact, I wonder if I am not getting enough and my body is doing that starvation mode thing??? I am going to continue as I have been until sunday. If things don't improve, I am considering having one meal on sunday that is a bit of a "cheat" meal, thinking that maybe my body needs a tiny shock. Am I crazy?? I just don't know what else to consider...

Much good advice for you on this thread!

I'll add my two cents. Have you taken your measurements? It is VERY common on low carb to see the scale move OR your measurements shrink, but they almost never happen at the same time. If your scale is stuck, look for your measurements to go down. When the scale starts to move again, your measurements will often stay the same for a bit.

By the way, I've also heard the "one golden shot" theory but from what I understand, it applies to a LARGE amount of weight lost. I really don't think you're in that category.

So, go get that tape measure!! :p

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter