Call your shot (NBA)

Like @lisaviolet i think that i’m more sad to see Danny Green leaving. He brought not just his game to Toronto, but was solidly invested in the city and its youth groups.

Yep.

Danny Green is hard.

I knew him before the Raptors. Not really North Carolina/Spurs as much as his off-season. Someone told me about how an NBA player came up to Huntsville for years to do camps. I said "Oh I didn't know he was Canadian?". It killed me that an American NBA player would come up to do regular bball camps up north.

And then he came to the Raptors! He and Gasol gave me peace on the court. Even on games where Green's shooting was off - defense and steals were there. I loved his play.

Sad.

Masai Ujuri would be even more of a killer for me. Thank God he is still at the helm.

Last edited:
Masai Ujuri would be even more of a killer for me. Thank God he is still at the helm.

When the chatter about Masai to Washington started it was an ‘oh crap, please no’ moment at our house! And Nick Nurse.. He’s an unconventional thinker & a bit of a magician.. lol

Together they may just pull off the magic trick to end all magic tricks... they are certainly well suited to produce results.

And seems off not to go to the Clippers with what they had already. A team that did a number in the first round of the playoffs. Just sign and trust your management.

Holy **** part deux!

Adrian Wojnarowski just stated that the Raptors were in play for the same trade for Kawhi wants, a la it wasn't all I want to go home. And Westbrook added too.

But we refused to give up Siakim.

Holy **** part deux!

Adrian Wojnarowski just stated that the Raptors were in play for the same trade for Kawhi wants, a la it wasn't all I want to go home. And Westbrook added too.

But we refused to give up Siakim.

Would Kawhi even want to play with Westbrook? I doubt it.

Would Kawhi even want to play with Westbrook? I doubt it.

I have no clue.

But Kawhi must have given Toronto some sort of requirements about wants re: George. Or another scenerio, and truly ????, is that OKC was we'll look at it all but not just your want of LA. If Adrian's word is bang on, it didn't come out of nowhere.

Westbrook, hmmm. Maybe OKC had such eyes for Siakim that they threw Westbrook into the mix. Or Toronto was the one asking for more. So many scenarios. Maybe something totally different for OKC - the ability to dump Westbrook's contract and start over.

I am surprised as anyone. I honestly thought Kawhi was definitely all home, home, home. And found the recent talks of a sudden sway to Toronto perplexing.

Last edited:

Pick swaps. Rules. They can be simply used whenever OKC declares their use, yes?

And isn't that a long way away for any important usage when Clippers already gave their bag of picks!?! Are we simply talking about some prospective jewels in later rounds?

Pick swaps. Rules. They can be simply used whenever OKC declares their use, yes?

And isn't that a long way away for any important usage when Clippers already gave their bag of picks!?! Are we simply talking about some prospective jewels in later rounds?
Nope. Three unprotected 1st round picks. If they’re good then it won’t be as expensive, but it’s still a lot. They also had to trade other players to make the money work.

This is the craziest free agency year in the history of the NBA. And requesting to be traded is pretty much free agency under a different name.

The NBA has become the biggest joke of all the sports. The players run the league and the owners and Silver cow tail to them. It will implode from within eventually!!!

The NBA has become the biggest joke of all the sports. The players run the league and the owners and Silver cow tail to them. It will implode from within eventually!!!
They’re making record revenue from international TV rights and marketing. Player movement is actually keeping average salaries down since free agents don’t have Bird rights, and there’s a salary apron when dealing with sign and trades.

I personally think this is preferable to the alternative. The most inept owner (James Dolan) happens to run the most valuable team. It’s good that players are avoiding his clown show of a team.

yes, the need a strong commissioner, who will be willing to shut the game down for a year, players picking the teams just is not what a pro sports league is

Nope. Three unprotected 1st round picks. If they’re good then it won’t be as expensive, but it’s still a lot. They also had to trade other players to make the money work.

This is the craziest free agency year in the history of the NBA. And requesting to be traded is pretty much free agency under a different name.

I am only asking about the pick swap part of the deal and I am still missing something.

I am trying to understand/curious why they are valuable given that OKC were already given future first round picks from the Clippers in that deal. And the Clippers will be successful for years to come -blocked out of high picks anyway. So what to swap?

Ie. Given all that when would it possibly be a good time for a pick swap for OKC?

Is it that the Clippers might gain a pick in some future trade that is desired for a swap?

I am simply not understanding.

Apparently the Toronto Star is reporting what I of course assumed was true -

Kawhi did tell Toronto what he wanted - Paul George. Meaning whatever team could make it happen scenerio. Let's see who can do it for me. Separate from wanting to go home. Not OKC reaching out after Paul George walked into their office.

If it is a completely truthful narrative, it is unsettling for me to win with teammates mere weeks ago and know you are sending some away in a trade, in order to have a new playing partner. Totally different than asking management to think about some moves when you are signed there.

Last edited:
yes, the need a strong commissioner, who will be willing to shut the game down for a year, players picking the teams just is not what a pro sports league is

I get from reading tweets, seeing other social media posts and listening to younger commentators that they love all this. I can't even tell you how many commentators and former players were saying that they all (Kawhi and Clippers' management) should be congratulated. I can handle *exciting* or *happy about it* but congratulating like you've accomplished something outstanding? Congratulating about poaching a player in free agency week is really difficult for me. And this has nothing to do with Kawhi/Raptors. I was happy to see him go with whatever was best for his life.

I suspect it is generational.

I get from reading tweets, seeing other social media posts and listening to younger commentators that they love all this. I can't even tell you how many commentators and former players were saying that they all (Kawhi and Clippers' management) should be congratulated. I can handle *exciting* or *happy about it* but congratulating like you've accomplished something outstanding? Congratulating about poaching a player in free agency week is really difficult for me. And this has nothing to do with Kawhi/Raptors. I was happy to see him go with whatever was best for his life.

I suspect it is generational.
It's the tv personalitys that love it, they want NY and LA to be great. The common person not living in them markets hate it ( regardless of age, why would a 25 year old living in Orlando like this )
TV as so often does tried to shape public oppion

It's the tv personalitys that love it, they want NY and LA to be great. The common person not living in them markets hate it ( regardless of age, why would a 25 year old living in Orlando like this )
TV as so often does tried to shape public oppion

It really isn't all talking heads. It is those around me as well. The feeling that I am getting is that the mobility of the league - the instant gratification - the flash of what is happening now - what could happen tomorrow - who is going to team up next is more exciting than anything. At times even more than your own team of choice The thought of watch this play out! Seeing superstars play together. Not every younger person of course. But I am confident in saying the majority.

I get excited by watching a team being built piece by piece, and commitment to the plan - over time. I am simply not confident that that brings excitement to those younger than me, the time and patience that it takes to see it through.

I hate it low-key. The door has been opened and I honestly don't think anyone is going to shut it. Vince Carter said his first thought was "You can do that!?!?" And once again I am one who supports player choice. But not the notion that we can create our own free agency - and others'.

It is a shame. But I feel very much alone in that sentiment, with those around me.

Last edited:
It really isn't all talking heads. It is those around me as well. The feeling that I am getting is that the mobility of the league - the instant gratification - the flash of what is happening now - what could happen tomorrow - who is going to team up next is more exciting than anything. At times even more than your own team of choice The thought of watch this play out! Seeing superstars play together. Not every younger person of course. But I am confident in saying the majority.

I get excited by watching a team being built piece by piece, and commitment to the plan - over time. I am simply not confident that that brings excitement to those younger than me, the time and patience that it takes to see it through.

I hate it low-key. The door has been opened and I honestly don't think anyone is going to shut it. Vince Carter said his first thought was "You can do that!?!?" And once again I am one who supports player choice. But not the notion that we can create our own free agency - and others'.

It is a shame. But I feel very much alone in that sentiment, with those around me.

You might have some around you that like it but most people hate it. How about the family in OKC loves NBA, dad 40, mom38 kids 15,13,9 you think they like this ? What if Hockey does this and all the best players team up and go to LA or NY, then the former players will say this is great, but it's not. Believe me your team not having a chance will turn people against be the league

How often does that happen? Look at the Raptors. This year they were built through instant gratification. Leonard wanted out of San Antonio and the Raptors traded for Leonard and Green knowing there was a good chance that they would be one-year "rentals". They built the playoff team through trades at the deadline.

The MLB trade deadline always has teams looking to trade away prospects for players on expiring contracts. Many players didn't really want to leave and ended up going back to the same team in free agency. There's always talk about "getting nothing" if such a player isn't traded to a contending team.

The Warriors did build a team through its own players and long-term trades, and the rest of the NBA fanbase was upset about just adding one star player in free agency like he broke the league.

Building a team through the NBA draft and unsigned rookie free agents is not really that effective a strategy unless all the stars align. The Spurs managed to get the #1 draft pick (used on Tim Duncan) one year when their star player was injured. The Warriors were mediocre with Curry and Thompson, which allowed them to draft Harrison Barnes and Draymond Green, although Green was a 2nd round pick.

You might have some around you that like it but most people hate it. How about the family in OKC loves NBA, dad 40, mom38 kids 15,13,9 you think they like this ? What if Hockey does this and all the best players team up and go to LA or NY, then the former players will say this is great, but it's not. Believe me your team not having a chance will turn people against be the league
The NHL has a hard salary cap. If they had anything like the Bird rule or even a soft cap (allowing teams to re-sign their own players up to a higher amount), the Sharks wouldn't be breaking apart.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter