Call your shot (NBA)

Raptors - highest pick in the draft was 15 for our roster. Resilience!
Not sure if that's really all that meaningful. The process of building the team involved using a lot of players who were high draft picks. Leonard is clearly someone who in hindsight should have been a top 5 draft pick. The players they received in trades were proven players where few really cared about their draft status.

It would be like saying that Aaron Rodgers was picked #24. In hindsight everyone wonders why he wasn't picked #1.

Perhaps the problem lies with the fact that you misread. I was laughing at the absurdity of the excuse making for losing not at all about the injured players on either side. I work in a compassionate profession - I can assure you I would never question/judge or laugh at anyone who is hurt, injured or in pain. That would be as far from who I am or what I stand for as a caring person/professional. As far as graciousness goes.. I have said nothing that would speak to a lack of grace. I have not retaliated at you with the venom you have posted in reply to my observational posts about a game. If I wasn’t a gracious individual that could have been different.

Perhaps just scrolling past anything I write might be best from here out. Making generic posts personal and confrontational isn’t necessary.

You don't play the martyr well.

Not sure if that's really all that meaningful. The process of building the team involved using a lot of players who were high draft picks. Leonard is clearly someone who in hindsight should have been a top 5 draft pick. The players they received in trades were proven players where few really cared about their draft status.

It would be like saying that Aaron Rodgers was picked #24. In hindsight everyone wonders why he wasn't picked #1.

Well in the case of Rodgers, we can congratulate the packers on spotting the diamond in the rough that was Rodgers. At the same time we can wonder what were the Niners thinking? Skipped their home town guy and everything. But if he moved teams, well no, not all that meaningful after it is obvious he's good. As for Leonard, Give the Spurs credit for trading for him before he played in the league (he was drafted by the pacers who got George Hill (Pick 26) who is still in the league with the Bucks. Hill is an interesting story. He had offers from Indiana and the like but chose to enroll at IUPUI to help his ailing great grandfather.

great series , both clubs hace reason to belive they will win next year, herer is Vegas odds for next year ? I dont get it, but it does show the league is wide open
2019-20 NBA Championship winner updated

LAL 9/2
Mil, LAC 6/1
Hou 8/1
Tor 10/1
Bos, Phi 12/1
GS 14/1
Den, OKC 16/1
NY 20/1
Bkn, Utah, Por 25/1
Dal 40/1
SA 50/1
Ind, Orl, NO 60/1
Atl, Mem 80/1
Chi, Sac, Phx 100/1

great series , both clubs hace reason to belive they will win next year, herer is Vegas odds for next year ? I dont get it, but it does show the league is wide open
2019-20 NBA Championship winner updated

LAL 9/2
Mil, LAC 6/1
Hou 8/1
Tor 10/1
Bos, Phi 12/1
GS 14/1
Den, OKC 16/1
NY 20/1
Bkn, Utah, Por 25/1
Dal 40/1
SA 50/1
Ind, Orl, NO 60/1
Atl, Mem 80/1
Chi, Sac, Phx 100/1

I'm not keen on those lakers odds. Betting on a team that didn't make the playoffs that absolutely needs certain additions to the team that they might not get and only getting 9-2? Seems like at the moment, I should be getting better payouts for betting them. To a lesser extent, the clips seem the same to me. 6-1 is too low of odds considering they need more pieces. That said, Vegas knows how to make money. So they must be getting some action.

Last edited:

Got it.

But I thought my point was clearer than it was taken. Sigh.

The Raptors were a team of resilience. And team building, like old time bball, without a big three of recent times. But I wasn't even comparing to any other team anyway, simply celebrating how we built the team.

Obviously some numbers mean nada.We are a team that drafted Rafael Araujo and Michael Bradley. I could go on and on in those years. Bargnani used to be called a goat herder by me. It always seemed like he was somewhere else. So both ways with numbers.

And then VanVleet was undrafted.

But I think you knew my point.

And then there is that draft where Detroit took _________, was that #1?, or #2 I think,over so many incredible picks. Reminiscing, ignore me.

Thank you @lisaviolet I started this thread and no one responded for 2 weeks, but you brang it to life, their is not a lot of NBA fans on the boards, but the ones we do have are passionate, its been fun , And yes Toronto showed the NBA you could win a title with out a high pick, our a destination for superstars to come. We all have hope now. And it will be a really good argument that Golden St was better, But no one can ever take 2019 away, congrats champs

You don't play the martyr well.

Well in the case of Rodgers, we can congratulate the packers on spotting the diamond in the rough that was Rodgers. At the same time we can wonder what were the Niners thinking? Skipped their home town guy and everything. But if he moved teams, well no, not all that meaningful after it is obvious he's good. As for Leonard, Give the Spurs credit for trading for him before he played in the league (he was drafted by the pacers who got George Hill (Pick 26) who is still in the league with the Bucks. Hill is an interesting story. He had offers from Indiana and the like but chose to enroll at IUPUI to help his ailing great grandfather.

He wasn’t really a diamond in the rough. The Niners were choosing between Rodgers or Alex Smith. All the teams in between had other needs, although the Raiders passing on him at #23 seems like a mistake now.

I saw every D-1 home game that Rodgers played. By the time he was a junior he was an extremely well known QB on a top 5 team. He tied the NCAA consecutive completion record against USC. He was passed up because the Niners chose the taller QB. And there were rumors that it was due to random reasons.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...y-49ers-passed-on-him-with-no-1-pick-in-2005/
Got it.

But I thought my point was clearer than it was taken. Sigh.

The Raptors were a team of resilience. And team building, like old time bball, without a big three of recent times. But I wasn't even comparing to any other team anyway, simply celebrating how we built the team.

Obviously some numbers mean nada.We are a team that drafted Rafael Araujo and Michael Bradley. I could go on and on in those years. Bargnani used to be called a goat herder by me. It always seemed like he was somewhere else. So both ways with numbers.

And then VanVleet was undrafted.

But I think you knew my point.

And then there is that draft where Detroit took _________, was that #1?, or #2 I think,over so many incredible picks. Reminiscing, ignore me.

I see you want to have things your way while chiding others for having a point of view you disagree with.

Word is that Harden and Paul aren't getting along any more. Even if the Warriors sign KD and Thompson they'll be out for a while. Leonard is expected to sign with an LA team. And Masai Ujiri is probably going to talk to the Wizards about their GM job.

That's too bad about Houston. Truly. A shame.

Ujuri, well I can't take it in. I adore him. We've heard it up here of course.

Kawhi needs to do what is best for him and his family. Obviously I would like him to stay but it is now evident to players that Toronto is a great city to play ball. Many who left years ago, have expressed regrets. Thankfully we are not back in the days where Carter said no one will come until we get ESPN.:laughing:

I

free agent tracker

Leonard - Toronto- Clippers
Durant - Ny , Nets, Dallas, Clippers, GS
Thompson - GS
Butler - Nets -Lakers - Heat
K. Walker - Charlotte or lakers
D Green -GS
Cousins - GS - Lakers
T, Harris - Phil -Nets, NY

U
He wasn’t really a diamond in the rough. The Niners were choosing between Rodgers or Alex Smith. All the teams in between had other needs, although the Raiders passing on him at #23 seems like a mistake now.

I saw every D-1 home game that Rodgers played. By the time he was a junior he was an extremely well known QB on a top 5 team. He tied the NCAA consecutive completion record against USC. He was passed up because the Niners chose the taller QB. And there were rumors that it was due to random reasons.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...y-49ers-passed-on-him-with-no-1-pick-in-2005/

I see you want to have things your way while chiding others for having a point of view you disagree with.

Huh?

Not at all.

Newsflash - I wasn't even disagreeing with you. I understood your point and it obviously has validity. But it wasn't really what I was originally trying to convey. And I honestly do think you know what I was getting at.

My point was made in complete celebration and you chose to micro pick at it.

And in general terms I am more than able to disagree with you regardless. Why isn't that fine?

And aren't you being exactly what you are accusing me of?

Last edited:
free agent tracker

Leonard - Toronto- Clippers
Durant - Ny , Nets, Dallas, Clippers, GS
Thompson - GS
Butler - Nets -Lakers - Heat
K. Walker - Charlotte or lakers
D Green -GS
Cousins - GS - Lakers
T, Harris - Phil -Nets, NY

My Lord, what an upcoming season! :drinking1

Neither he, nor Smith were sure fire can't miss #1 guys. Most boards had neither worthy of #1.

Thank you @lisaviolet I started this thread and no one responded for 2 weeks, but you brang it to life, their is not a lot of NBA fans on the boards, but the ones we do have are passionate, its been fun , And yes Toronto showed the NBA you could win a title with out a high pick, our a destination for superstars to come. We all have hope now. And it will be a really good argument that Golden St was better, But no one can ever take 2019 away, congrats champs

I thought it would bother me, the talk - the way it played out (some valid of course - some way off)

But it hasn't at all. Not one bit. Just overjoyed.

All I wanted, well besides a championship, was for the team to play the way we did all year. With Kawhi and without him. But as a team. They really seem to enjoy each other. It was a brilliant season. To watchTHEM (and the so so hard but needed trades - Valenciunas).

In the early series, something was so very off - that wasn't there in the regular season. And that frustrated me.

But it was the end of the Milwaukee series that really made me proud.

I always wanted all Warriors on the floor. But that wasn't to be. Frustrating but even more so for them - obviously. It is a shame.

As for this thread, I loved last year.

I don't know if you remember but I said/called it that Boston wasn't playing cohesively at times and they would turn on each other a bit when things got tough , so bringing Kyrie and Hayward back in would not equal championship. Skill on paper doesn't always play out. Philly, Boston, even Washington was the chatter. Milwaukee and Toronto have to work so very hard to be seen. #1 and #2 of the entire league regular season and both were disregarded.

So that is nice.

Well that's a novel.:laughing:

I did a search for your thread low-key. I love the playoffs, regardless of the home team. So thanks for starting it. And always staying so incredibly positive.

https://globalnews.ca/news/5390239/raptors-masai-ujiri-police-altercation/
"Police are pursuing charges after Toronto Raptors president Masai Ujiri and a deputy appeared to be involved in an altercation on the sidelines of Oracle Arena in Oakland, Calif., late Thursday in the wake of his team’s historic NBA championship win."

More up to date links refute this and point to videos that show him holding his credentials. Also eye witness (a.Warriors season ticket holder) refutes this.

Interesting that the Oakland police had nothing to say when the white NBA executive assaulted a player....

https://globalnews.ca/news/5390239/raptors-masai-ujiri-police-altercation/
"Police are pursuing charges after Toronto Raptors president Masai Ujiri and a deputy appeared to be involved in an altercation on the sidelines of Oracle Arena in Oakland, Calif., late Thursday in the wake of his team’s historic NBA championship win."

More up to date links refute this and point to videos that show him holding his credentials. Also eye witness (a.Warriors season ticket holder) refutes this.

Interesting that the Oakland police had nothing to say when the white NBA executive assaulted a player....

That’s not how it works. Lowry was and still is free to pursue charges. The guy you’re referring to has been banned by the NBA from attending any game or participating in any NBA activities for a full year. Oakland Police or the Alameda County DA aren’t going to investigate unless there’s a complaint by Lowry. In the game 6 incident the officer apparently wishes to go forward with an investigation.

Apparently the requirement to enter the floor was for a gold wristband. The only witness statement I’ve heard of claims that Ujiri did shove the deputy, but that he didn’t hit him in the face.

https://www.apnews.com/896a2d816a184ec3aa061ae07a86b440
Also maybe it’s a fine point, but the altercation wasn’t with Oakland Police. With big events they often bring in extra officers, in this case from the Alameda County Sheriff’s Office. I saw a few post altercation videos and the officer who looks agitated is wearing a black uniform (the standard ACSO uniform is gray) with a black ball cap, and I can make out that it’s not an Oakland PD patch on his sleeve.

The season ticket holder (Greg Wiener) who says he saw it responded on Twitter several times, but it seems that he hasn't otherwise posted via his Twitter account since 2016.

https://mobile.twitter.com/GregWienerQS/with_replies
But here are all of Wiener’s responses. One of them refuted the claim that the deputy punched Uriji, but he felt the deputy was in the wrong for pushing Uriji.

When a finals game ends it is mass chaos, usually you are correct security is there but he was just trying to get on the floor unassisted. Not sure where he was sitting.
What you saw was after the altercation. Uriji was by himself trying to get to the floor, No doubt the cop was aggressive, but Uriji did shove him hard, after the cop placed his hands on Uriji.
His pass was not out, I was standing right there. That was not a regular cop who was at the game, I dont know if he should have recognized Ujiri, I didn't and I am an avid fan. Still the cop was wrong.
We were standing right next to the cop when this happened. First of all cop was a hard-***, Ujiri was pulling out his NBA Pass, the cop did not see badge he put his hands on Ujiri to stop him from going forward. The cop pushed Ujiri, then Ujiri pushed back. Cop was wrong.
You can see my son (red head, blue warrior shirt) talking to Ujiri telling him the cop was an idiot.
The cop did not punch Ujiri. Thats wrong.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter