California spots to see along with DL

quandrea

DIS Veteran
we are in the early planning stsges of a trip to California. It is way cheaper to fly round trip lax although we had hoped to drive up the coast and fly out of San Francisco. Does anyone have suggestions on what to see after five days in DL? We will have seven nights. Ideally any trips allow us to fly back out of lax.

If you are driving up the coast I would spend some time in Carmel/Monterey. Point Lobos is a beautiful area with some trails right on the coast.

I'm editing this to add you could still make it back to LAX, even with a trip up the coast a ways.

If you are driving up the coast I would spend some time in Carmel/Monterey. Point Lobos is a beautiful area with some trails right on the coast.

I'm editing this to add you could still make it back to LAX, even with a trip up the coast a ways.
Thank you. Is five nights at Disney land enough?

Thank you. Is five nights at Disney land enough?
Do you have four or five days in the park? Five is my favorite, especially if it's crowded. There is enough time to get in almost everything! And be a little more relaxed. What time of year are you going?

If you have only 2 nights to venture up to SF, don't bother. Stay in So Cal and see some local sights instead!

Yosemite ! It is inland, not along the coast , but with all the rain and snow we had the waterfalls will be spectacular .

We're also flying to and from LAX and doing opposite order from you....Spending 4 nights in LA (Hollywood) and then switching hotels to Anaheim. It's our first trip but found lots of great things that we've planned... Universal Studios, Warner Brothers tour, visiting Santa Monica Pier, and tour that covers Hollywood walk of Fame, Griffith observatory, Beverly Hills, rodeo Dr, sunset Blvd, downtown LA, Farmer market, etc. Also heard great things about LA Brae Tar Pits and Children museum. We didn't look outside of LA.

Yosemite is absolutely stunning...plus very very crowded! It would be a lot of driving through less scenic areas to get to Yosemite and back if you want to fly out of LAX.

There are beautiful redwoods in the Santa Cruz area if you decide to go up the coast.

It really depends on what you most want to see. California has a lot of beautiful spots to choose from!!

Yosemite is absolutely stunning...plus very very crowded! It would be a lot of driving through less scenic areas to get to Yosemite and back if you want to fly out of LAX.

There are beautiful redwoods in the Santa Cruz area if you decide to go up the coast.

It really depends on what you most want to see. California has a lot of beautiful spots to choose from!!
That sounds like a good option.

We've decided to do Disney land at the end. After jet lag has passed.

What are your likes?
California has lots of fun places for everybody. If you like the coast, taking The PCH hwy 1 north thru Santa Barbara, up thru Big Sir and Monterey Thru Santa Cruz up to SF . Beautiful .
If you like the mountains. Head up thru the 99, Start at Sequoia NP then onto Yosemite. For an adventure take the 395 north. Stop at Bodie, a ghost town, then come in to Yosemite thru the back side or head up to Lake Tahoe.
Not sure when your coming but we've had some road closures due to the storms. I believe now there's only one way into Yosemite.

we are in the early planning stsges of a trip to California. It is way cheaper to fly round trip lax although we had hoped to drive up the coast and fly out of San Francisco. Does anyone have suggestions on what to see after five days in DL? We will have seven nights. Ideally any trips allow us to fly back out of lax.

If you haven't already checked, sometimes 2 one way tickets will be cheaper than a round trip ticket. And I'd check flying into SF & home from LAX as well.

If you haven't already checked, sometimes 2 one way tickets will be cheaper than a round trip ticket. And I'd check flying into SF & home from LAX as well.
What are your likes?
California has lots of fun places for everybody. If you like the coast, taking The PCH hwy 1 north thru Santa Barbara, up thru Big Sir and Monterey Thru Santa Cruz up to SF . Beautiful .
If you like the mountains. Head up thru the 99, Start at Sequoia NP then onto Yosemite. For an adventure take the 395 north. Stop at Bodie, a ghost town, then come in to Yosemite thru the back side or head up to Lake Tahoe.
Not sure when your coming but we've had some road closures due to the storms. I believe now there's only one way into Yosemite.
coming in October. We like the outdoors, baseball, although it will be done by then most likely. The mountains sound great. Hockey game if the ducks are playing.

Last edited:
Had an LA day this last week.

Randy's Donuts by LAX, Santa Monica Pier, Natural History Museum, Pink's Hot Dogs, Hollywood Boulevard, bumper-to-bumper traffic at 6 pm on a Sunday night!

I've booked our Disney land portion and the car rental. Now have to get flights. The Canadian Disney land park ticket offer ends on Tuesday (25% off!). I'll get those Monday. Have to pull the trigger and book the flight as well as rent out my dvc points.

coming in October. We like the outdoors, baseball, although it will be done by then most likely. The mountains sound great. Hockey game if the ducks are playing.
The perfect place to be for hockey, Your journey could take in 3 games. Besides the Ducks, there are the Kings and my team, the Sharks. Sounds like you will have a fun trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter