California Grill with Baby

snowwhite84

DIS Veteran
So we just made a dinner reservation at California Grill and I'm wondering if I'm crazy to do so.

Our baby will be 9 months old, and we are traveling DH and I with five other adults ( a mix of baby's grandparents and great-grandparents, so definitely all people happy to help entertain her.) We are staying at the Contemporary, so it would be easy to take her back to the room if she gets fussy. I made the reservation for 5:30pm, hoping she won't be too tired, and we aren't going to a park that day. Also CG is DH and mine's favorite restaurant, we've been a bunch. So we won't be upset if the meal turns into us passing her back and forth.

Still, will we get strange looks for having an infant there? With all the times we've been, I can't remember ever seeing a baby there. Thoughts?

Who cares if you get looks. Go and enjoy yourself. If baby gets fussy have someone excuse themselves and take baby to the check in area to calm down then come back. No need to not go simply because it is a baby.

This is a good attitude, thanks. I am a first time mom and not overly used to situations like this!

This is a good attitude, thanks. I am a first time mom and not overly used to situations like this!

Not a mom but have lots of neices and nephews. All have come out to eat with us since about 2ish months old. I came to realize if the mere presence of a child ruins your dinner it is more on you. Unless the establishment is billed as adults only (no restaurant on WDW property is except V&A is 10+ and some bars/lounges are 18+) then a well carrd for child shouldn't bother anyone. Again a crying child is one thing but a babbling baby who may be passed around the table it is at or a baby who quickly is taken out when fussy shouldn't be a problem at Disney World.

We took our kids to Disney at 2 months, and my son at 15 months, 2 years, etc. We also go to signatures and have never had a problem or a dirty look. On our end, we were always quick to take the child out if they got fussy. I promise no one will be bothered by a baby at Disney! Just use common courtesy.

We took our kids to Disney at 2 months, and my son at 15 months, 2 years, etc. We also go to signatures and have never had a problem or a dirty look. On our end, we were always quick to take the child out if they got fussy. I promise no one will be bothered by a baby at Disney! Just use common courtesy.

How are your littles now that they are a little older? I have a theory that kids who are taken out to eat at a younger age end up being better out when they are older. We have 2 nephews who are well lets just say rough but they almost never go out. The other 2 nephews and 1 niece are always out at dinner and travel a ton and are well behaved and know that they can sit in their chair or stroller and play with the toys we brought but can't scream, run around, throw toys, etc. The youngest is 2 and he is just fabulous at dinner.

Who cares if you get looks. Go and enjoy yourself. If baby gets fussy have someone excuse themselves and take baby to the check in area to calm down then come back. No need to not go simply because it is a baby.
My thoughts exactly!

OP,
We took DD(8) and DS(22months) to brunch at Cali Grill and didn't feel unwelcome at all. We just decided that one of us would take DS for a walk to calm down if he became fussy. While I can understand your concerns because I had the same concerns before our meal there, my advice would be to not waste another minute worrying about it. Enjoy your meal!

Last edited:
How are your littles now that they are a little older? I have a theory that kids who are taken out to eat at a younger age end up being better out when they are older. We have 2 nephews who are well lets just say rough but they almost never go out. The other 2 nephews and 1 niece are always out at dinner and travel a ton and are well behaved and know that they can sit in their chair or stroller and play with the toys we brought but can't scream, run around, throw toys, etc. The youngest is 2 and he is just fabulous at dinner.

We've taken both kids out to eat since they were babies. ODD, now almost 6, is a dream to take to restaurants. She's an adventurous enough eater so she doesn't need a kid's menu anywhere (though she likes the ones at Disney but she always orders the more "adult" things on the kids' menu), she sits well, and behaves like a much older kid at a restaurant. She loves going out to eat. At WDW she's been to Cali Grill, Narcoosees, Flying Fish, Artist Point, and Citrico's, as well as CRT multiple times and other character meals. If I just had her, I'd say, YES, getting them used to restaurants early, and enjoying it, is key.

Our 17 month old is another story. She's been going out as often as her sister, and we usually go to VERY casual diners, etc. She's been getting better, but it really seems to depend on whether she's hungry. When she's hungry she will sit calmly and eat very nicely, and she's getting much better at using utensils. But as soon as she's full, she wants to rip off her bib and sit in a grownup's lap. I suppose she is still ok sitting in a grownup's lap, but it's hard to enjoy the food when she's on my lap... Also, she usually doesn't have the patience to sit in the high chair and wait while the food hasn't arrived yet. I may be misremembering, but I thought ODD was a bit better at this age.

Also - we bring snacks and a few things to play with, but have a very strict, "no electronics at the table" rule for everyone at the table, including the grownups. I'm pretty sure it would be easier if we let them play with our phones or brought an iPad, but I really don't want to go down that road...

To the OP: We first took our ODD when she was 2, and she did great. We also did a very early dinner and there were other kids there, and she ate nicely and hung out and enjoyed the view. It helped that there was a birthday at the table next to us, so they gave us some of their glitter/confetti and she played with that for a while. Go and enjoy!

We've taken both kids out to eat since they were babies. ODD, now almost 6, is a dream to take to restaurants. She's an adventurous enough eater so she doesn't need a kid's menu anywhere (though she likes the ones at Disney but she always orders the more "adult" things on the kids' menu), she sits well, and behaves like a much older kid at a restaurant. She loves going out to eat. At WDW she's been to Cali Grill, Narcoosees, Flying Fish, Artist Point, and Citrico's, as well as CRT multiple times and other character meals. If I just had her, I'd say, YES, getting them used to restaurants early, and enjoying it, is key.

Our 17 month old is another story. She's been going out as often as her sister, and we usually go to VERY casual diners, etc. She's been getting better, but it really seems to depend on whether she's hungry. When she's hungry she will sit calmly and eat very nicely, and she's getting much better at using utensils. But as soon as she's full, she wants to rip off her bib and sit in a grownup's lap. I suppose she is still ok sitting in a grownup's lap, but it's hard to enjoy the food when she's on my lap... Also, she usually doesn't have the patience to sit in the high chair and wait while the food hasn't arrived yet. I may be misremembering, but I thought ODD was a bit better at this age.

Also - we bring snacks and a few things to play with, but have a very strict, "no electronics at the table" rule for everyone at the table, including the grownups. I'm pretty sure it would be easier if we let them play with our phones or brought an iPad, but I really don't want to go down that road...

I'm a master at eating with someone/something on my lap so that wouldn't bother me. It's what happens with 2 dogs haha. Seems everyone in our group has mixed in devices. Littlest is not allowed a real electronic device so we are all extrememly discouraged from having them. I totally commend parents who stick to the no electeonics. See how much more awesome our littlest nephew is at interacting and imagination play makes me seirously consider it. We usually have magic collor sheets, magic "paint" sheets, cars, and their small building blocks.

OP, I don't think it will be a problem at all. We take our son out to eat about once a week. We started when he was 4 months old (he has an October birthday, so we waited until it wasn't so frigid outside). He's 18 months now and absolutely loves going to restaurants and does great while we are there!

You may consider taking your little one out to eat before your trip if you don't already, so she has an idea of what to expect. I agree with what others said about bringing toys, etc.

Have fun!

Start them early! Our 6yr old and 4yr old are always going out to eat with us in restaurants here in Chicago. I have no problem taking them anywhere because I taught them early how to behave in restaurants and what's expected of them. On property we've been to California Grill, LeCellier and Chefs De France (since they were 2) with no issues. They love dining out and we (the parents) don't have to worry about only visiting "kids" or "family" restaurants. I even mention how good their behavior is and THAT is why we take them nice places. As long as they continue to behave in restaurants we have no problem taking them out. Just come prepared with crayons, coloring books, sticker books and toys that are not loud or distracting (plays songs). We also don't use electronics. We play I-Spy, Guess what's missing or guessing games. I will say this though, do what's best for you and your family. Later on down the road if you feel electronics helps your kids then so be it. As long as it works for you and your family :)

@DisneyDiana! @KrazeeK120 how did you manage when the younger one was a toddler? We are just entering the terrible 2s... (17 months now, and I forget what my expectations were for that age!)

@DisneyDiana! @KrazeeK120 how did you manage when the younger one was a toddler? We are just entering the terrible 2s... (17 months now, and I forget what my expectations were for that age!)

My son is 18 months right now. We go early for dinner (like 5:00). We try to go to places that is one of these things: fast-casual style, has a lot of tvs, or will bring something out to eat right away (bread, side of fruit, etc.). Really, as long as my son has his cup of milk, he's happy. He loves to eat...he can finish an entire kid's meal many places (and he weighs 30 lbs...).

I think it all goes back to repetition though. We go out to eat usually once a week (sometimes twice), and he's just really used to it.

Some kids this age are interested in the crayons most restaurants give kids, but mine just throws them on the ground.

Luke is almost 4 now and he is a champ in restaurants and during travel and I really think it's because we did it so much when he was little that it is second nature. We just got back from 2 weeks in Europe and both kids were PERFECT! I could hardly believe it, but the boring museums, the fancy restaurants, the 20+ hours of flying...they took it all in stride and didn't fuss or complain. They were polite and well-mannered and I was so proud of them. (All the flight attendants, servers, etc. were very impressed too!)

I know this wasn't specifically directed at me, but we did Disney a lot during those toddler years (at 15 months, 21 months, and a few times at 2 and 3). I agree with an early dinner time. We try for 5-5:30. The kids won't be overtired and crabby yet and the restaurant won't be so busy. (You can get seated quicker and less people to risk disturbing). We bring lots of quiet toys - coloring stuff, play doh (I would bring disposable place mats to stick down), books, stickers, etc. I would also grab a few new things from the dollar store before we went so they would be novel and exciting. And we would always be ready for one person to leave. At that age, we usually found he was content during entrees, but if we wanted dessert one person usually had to get it to-go because his patience didn't last quite that long!

We ate there around 5pm our last trip with two two year olds and the place was pretty empty at that time and mostly it was families there anyway. You'll be fine.

We are taking our 9 month old to California grill dinner this week and the brunch next Sunday as well as to Jiko for dinner and I don't expect any looks from anyone. As long as your child is well behaved it should be a non issue. Who knows though, maybe there can be some staring contests? That could be fun

There is also a HUGE balcony you can walk out onto if the weather is nice that day. It's a great place to retreat to if you hae a particularly restless child.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter