California Grill Gluten Free Experiences?

EEva

Mouseketeer
My DD15 and I are taking a trip together this mid-December and we have a 6pm reservation for a special dinner.

She has Celiac and normally Disney is heaven for her. But in looking at the Allergy Friendly menu online, it seems the choices are terrible. She loves sushi, but both appetizers are a no go. (I can see why with the one with tempura, but the other one too? No tamari option?) The only two entree options are the chicken and the pork. I hear the pork is great, but the filet is not an option. Likely due to how the potatoes are prepared.

Also, there are NO gluten free desserts on the menu! When that happens she usually ends up with a sad pre-packaged brownie. And am not going to pay 90 bucks for that! LOL

Surely this menu can't be fully accurate, can it? I'm hoping someone with Celiac has an experience they can share.

I know at other fine dining locations in Disney they offer to make the options gluten free. But I've been reading the California Grill has not been allowing other menu changes. Hopefully they do for food allergies.

TLDR: anyone have experience with gluten free choices at California Grill? Was it still worth it?

I am gluten free as well and just dropped our Cali Grill reservation. From what I read on a vegan blog they were served the doughnut dessert which was made with the Erin McKenna doughnuts that are gluten free. I assume a modified version of that is what would be offered. I would never order a doughnut dessert to begin with and then to find out they aren't even serving something made in house was a huge disappointment.

My DD15 and I are taking a trip together this mid-December and we have a 6pm reservation for a special dinner.

She has Celiac and normally Disney is heaven for her. But in looking at the Allergy Friendly menu online, it seems the choices are terrible. She loves sushi, but both appetizers are a no go. (I can see why with the one with tempura, but the other one too? No tamari option?) The only two entree options are the chicken and the pork. I hear the pork is great, but the filet is not an option. Likely due to how the potatoes are prepared.

Also, there are NO gluten free desserts on the menu! When that happens she usually ends up with a sad pre-packaged brownie. And am not going to pay 90 bucks for that! LOL

Surely this menu can't be fully accurate, can it? I'm hoping someone with Celiac has an experience they can share.

I know at other fine dining locations in Disney they offer to make the options gluten free. But I've been reading the California Grill has not been allowing other menu changes. Hopefully they do for food allergies.

TLDR: anyone have experience with gluten free choices at California Grill? Was it still worth it?
Actually, my wife and daughter both have Gluten sensitivity. In each case the chef's at California Grill go out of their way to ensure a safe dining experience. Much of the menu can be modified to suit a Gluten allergy. So while there are items on the standard menu marked as gluten free, simply talk to the server or chef. For example, my wife got the charcuterie plater, they simply swapped the bread with gluten free bread. They also do have gluten free soy sauce. As for desert, they do have Crème Brule and have twice made my wife a desert not on the menu that include mouse and some other chocolate. Don't be turned off by the published menus at Disney restaurants. Disney is a magical place, and they will do what they can to make your dining experience just as magical.

P.S. The filet is Gluten free. Sometimes they put a sauce, they will simply leave it off.

Actually, my wife and daughter both have Gluten sensitivity. In each case the chef's at California Grill go out of their way to ensure a safe dining experience. Much of the menu can be modified to suit a Gluten allergy. So while there are items on the standard menu marked as gluten free, simply talk to the server or chef. For example, my wife got the charcuterie plater, they simply swapped the bread with gluten free bread. They also do have gluten free soy sauce. As for desert, they do have Crème Brule and have twice made my wife a desert not on the menu that include mouse and some other chocolate. Don't be turned off by the published menus at Disney restaurants. Disney is a magical place, and they will do what they can to make your dining experience just as magical.

P.S. The filet is Gluten free. Sometimes they put a sauce, they will simply leave it off.

Was your experience before the switch to the 50th prix fixe menu? That menu is very different and unfortunately no longer offers creme brulee. As it is written it has pretty poor choices for gluten free so it definitely would boil down to how accomodating they are to go off menu.

Last edited:

I went here as a birthday dinner this summer, got the steak, and that was it. The dessert they hand out for celebrations was given to my boyfriend since there were no gluten free options. I enjoyed the atmosphere and views but it's not something I need to rush back to do again.

But I'm also picky and don't eat sushi, fish, or pork so even more limited options.

Was your experience before the switch to the 50th prix fixe menu? That menu is very different and unfortunately no longer offers creme brulee. As it is written it has pretty pour choices for gluten free so it definitely would boil down to how accomodating they are to go off menu.
It was pre prix fix, however a friend recently went with the current menu and the chef made modifications to fit their allergies, to include gluten.

Last edited:
I appreciate hearing about these experiences. I do really want to give California Grill a try, but I think I'm going to save it for when I'm with my DH. :)

I went this summer and they were very accommodating with both the appetizer and entree beyond what was on the menu. I was able to get sushi, they just modified it to not have an ingredient (it was the tempura flakes that are part of the spicy roll) and provided GF soy sauce. They were also willing to substitute sides. I did choose the one GF dessert on the menu at the time which I was not a fan of. In general the GF desserts across any of the Disney restaurants I went to were very poor during my trip. I recall there being much more appetizing choices. I don’t know that Topolinos had any GF dessert other than one flavor of gelato.

I was lurking on this thread in early November and wanted to report back, having eaten at California Grill on November 23rd. It was a fantastic meal, and I felt well taken care of (celiac). My 14 year old has had visions of eating at CG for years, so this was really about her, and it exceeded all of her expectations. They brought me my own rolls and dipping oil. The rolls were dense and flavorful, and I loved the oil. I ordered the endive salad and pork tenderloin, both of which I loved. When our server came to take dessert orders, I said I couldn't eat anything on the menu, and he let me know that they are doing creme brûlée. While it was "plain," it was very good. I would book this meal again, without hesitation - except for the price!

rolls and salad.jpgpork.jpgdessert.jpg

I ate a GF (and dairy free) dinner at CG back in January of 2020. I'm going through my pictures and I can see they gave me GF bread/rolls with some kind of olive oil/herb/tomato concoction for dipping, I had sashimi as a starter and had some sort of meat dish (beef or veal) for dinner. I was offered dessert options, but passed because I'd gone to Erin McKenna's and had some goodies waiting for me back in the room.

I was lurking on this thread in early November and wanted to report back, having eaten at California Grill on November 23rd. It was a fantastic meal, and I felt well taken care of (celiac). My 14 year old has had visions of eating at CG for years, so this was really about her, and it exceeded all of her expectations. They brought me my own rolls and dipping oil. The rolls were dense and flavorful, and I loved the oil. I ordered the endive salad and pork tenderloin, both of which I loved. When our server came to take dessert orders, I said I couldn't eat anything on the menu, and he let me know that they are doing creme brûlée. While it was "plain," it was very good. I would book this meal again, without hesitation - except for the price!

View attachment 627250View attachment 627251View attachment 627253
Glad you had a great experience! Do you know by any chance if they can swap the crust on the duck flatbread for a GF one? I have shellfish/fish allergies in addition to gluten so looks like my only option would be the salad, which seems like a pretty poor value for the price tag compared to the other apps…Thanks!

Glad you had a great experience! Do you know by any chance if they can swap the crust on the duck flatbread for a GF one? I have shellfish/fish allergies in addition to gluten so looks like my only option would be the salad, which seems like a pretty poor value for the price tag compared to the other apps…Thanks!

Actually I am fish/shellfish as well! I didn't ask about the flatbread, as I wanted to go as light as I could with the appetizer between the bread and the entree. I actually loved the salad - it had some kind of apple butter or something underneath that really made the dish. I hope you find a good answer!

Actually I am fish/shellfish as well! I didn't ask about the flatbread, as I wanted to go as light as I could with the appetizer between the bread and the entree. I actually loved the salad - it had some kind of apple butter or something underneath that really made the dish. I hope you find a good answer!
Thank you!

My husband’s favorite restaurant is CG, so it’s always on our list when we visit. On a December 2019 visit with our DD who was then 23, and is GF, the menu choices brought her to frustrated tears (she was also a little jet lagged and hangry). She does not eat shellfish or fish and there were very few things that appealed to her. Ultimately, she had the salad and abandoned dinner to forage for food elsewhere.

If you’re not seeing items you think you’d like, I don’t think it gets better when you’re there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter