California Grill for a 3 year old?

Athena

Earning My Ears
We'd really like to dine here one evening during the fireworks. Do you think a well-behaved 3.5 year-old would be welcome? There is little chance of him staying with a sitter back in the hotel room, so I'm just wondering if anyone has any input.

Thanks!

The restaurant does not exclude children but keep in mind what time the fireworks are. Will that be well after your child's normal bedtime? If so (and after a long day in the parks) any well behaved 3.5 year old may not have an enjoyable evening (nor his parents either.)

They do serve children's meals there
(see http://www.wdwig.com/ for menus)
and children do eat there but generally earlier in the evening.

I usually head to the World in December when the fireworks are at 9pm. A PS for 8:15p for us usually ensures the fireworks occur between appetizers and our main course. Most of the children I see at the Cali Grill that time of year have finished dinner and are eating dessert as the fireworks go off and many of the under 4 set are asleep (although the room is quite loud!) Personally, we have not brought our boys there (8 & 5.5) because we know we will enjoy it more without them (it's generally our one lengthy gourmet dinner on our trip)

You are the only one who can make this call for your family. It is really special to see the fireworks from up high but seeing them from the beach of the Poly after a fun dinner at 'Ohana was special for my family as well.

Good Luck making your decision.

I would ask three questions:

1) Is your 3.5 year old suited to an adult environment? (Not a problem for most kids, but a few are just too wild for a nice restaurant.)

2) Will he have a nap and relaxation (pool) time that afternoon? (Kids need to rest AND relax during a long day.)

3) Are you willing to take him outside if he gets fussy? (It isn't fair to other guests to keep a fussy or wild child at the table.)

When mine were that age I wouldn't have hesitated to take them to a nice restaurant, but I have been seated next to some who shouldn't have been.

I can only judge by what I've seen. My son was way too restless for a restaurant like this but I've certainly seen well-behaved young kids in quieter restaurants. I've also seen kids running amuck throughout the restaurants and sat next to a few screamers. Keeping in mind that they could just be tired after a long day, I blame the parents for not removing them when their behavior became too extreme. Only you can judge where your youngster fits in these examples but don't hesitate to go if you think you and the other patrons will be reasonably comfortable.

Hi there...

I think there is a kids club at the CR. You could leave your son to play there while you have dinner and then go get him just before the fireworks so he can see them too.

Thant way you can have a nice adult dinner and enjoy.

>>^..^<<

I've taken my children to most of the nicer WDW restaurants, California Grill not being one though. What I usually do is make the first ps available, and then we go in. My kids are used to eating out (we go out usually 1-2 times per week) and know how to behave in a restaurant. I do the earlier time so they aren't tired and cranky by meal end. I NEVER would consider going to California Grill around a late fireworks time with my kids, they NEVER would make it. If you don't mind eating around 6:00, I don't think it would be a problem, anything much later probably would, unless your child is a nightowl. I started taking my kids to the nicer restaurants at age 8 months, and they are now 2 and 5 and LOVE THEM. DD looks forward to the white chocolate Mickey puzzle at Artist Point now, and the multi-colored bread at Jiko.

I wouldn't have a problem with your 3 year old being there, but I'd probably leave my 2 year old with a sitter and enjoy an evening out! :) I realize babysitting is very expensive and many parents are not comfortable leaving their kids with a stranger. The kids clubs don't start until age 4, so what are you going to do?

What time of year are you going? One other thing to think about (did you imagine there were so many? LOL!) is how often they show the fireworks. For much of the year they are only 1 or 2 days a week. If you go during the off season, they may only be saturday night. And it may be very crowded at the CG, which might not be the best situation.

While I liked the reply for the kids' clubs, I think that all the kids clubs in WDW accept children only beginning at age 4. I know this because we will be at AKL in October -- just two weeks before DD turns 4! I had hoped to do a grown up evening with dinner and La Nouba tix, but don't see it happening this way. My kids would be great for a sitter, but it wouldn't be any fun for them. They would have a BLAST at a kids club. Does any one know if any of the clubs accepts kids under the age of 4?

Thank you for all your responses! Fortunately, Magic in the Sky fireworks at MK are on a Wednesday night in June which would work out perfectly for us. My DH is in a conference all that day, so DS and I were planning on taking it easy around the pool.

This is the one time his nightowl schedule would actually work to our benefit. If left him to his own devices, he'd nap at 5:30pm for an hour and then be good-to-go until 12 or 1 in the morning!

We've been taking him to nice restaurants since he was in an infant carrier, so he's well-accustomed to behaving in such a place. I don't hesitate to remove him if he acts up, and he's well aware of this. I just know that a lot of adults go here for their one "grown-up" meal, and I didn't want to ruin their experience if children weren't welcome.

Kids clubs are a great idea--I just don't think he'd stay. Dinner at Ohana and then heading to the beach sounds like a lot of fun too. Thanks again for your input. It's been very helpful!

Athena, take your son and enjoy. Our children too dined at nice places at WDW when they were small. There will be plenty of other children there and you won't wreck anyone's meal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter