California Grill - Dessert Only??

CT Disney

DIS Veteran
Hi Everyone :wave2:

We will be visiting WDW the week after Christmas. We just planned this holiday trip and I've been trying over the last two weeks to get our ADRs in order.

I was able to grab a Cali Grill ADR on December 29th at 9:40. I feel lucky that any CG times popped up at all for this super busy week!

Holiday Wishes that night is at 9:00. We have two kiddos (11 & 14). Even though they are "older" kids, 9:40 is still a little late for them for dinner. Plus, we have early MK plans the next morning.

Would it be totally inappropriate to go watch Wishes on the CG deck before our ADR and then sit down for our 9:40 ADR and just order desserts?

I didn't really think our plans through before I grabbed the ADR. I was surprised to even see it and I just grabbed it before it was gone. I've been trying to get an earlier time that night, but CG is booked solid.

Let me know your thoughts. Is just ordering dessert at CG a big no-no?

You can order whatever you want - just apps or just dessert - whatever. However, I wouldn't count on being allowed up there early enough to watch Wishes. The place will already be packed, and they will hold people at the elevators until there is room upstairs. They may very well tell you to come back 15 minutes before your ADR.

You can order whatever you want - just apps or just dessert - whatever. However, I wouldn't count on being allowed up there early enough to watch Wishes. The place will already be packed, and they will hold people at the elevators until there is room upstairs. They may very well tell you to come back 15 minutes before your ADR.

Wow, this is very interesting to me and definitely something to consider. My DH called the dining reservation line to ask if we would be allowed up to see the fireworks even though our ADR is after fireworks time. They told him that we would definitely be able to come up to the observation area to watch Wishes. They told him that anyone who had reservations that day (no matter what time) could watch the fireworks from up there, you just had to show your receipt or reservation number. I wonder how early we'd have to head up there to ensure that we weren't blocked out?

I don't think that's right - I'm pretty sure you're allowed up to watch the fireworks if you have an ADR. I know they allow those that have early dinners to leave and come back, so I wouldn't think those with upcoming ADRs could not come up. It is possible that you won't be seated on time, but with your reservation being 30 minutes after Wishes is done, perhaps you won't even be too late.

Have a wonderful time - I LOVE the California Grill!

How is the fireworks view from here? Compare to say watching from the beach at one of the MK resorts? Thinking of doing CG on a non-park night and this viewing for Wishes would be a huge bonus!

How is the fireworks view from here? Compare to say watching from the beach at one of the MK resorts? Thinking of doing CG on a non-park night and this viewing for Wishes would be a huge bonus!

Watched the fireworks from the CG this past September. Its was a bit rainy so the deck wasn't open but the show did go on (about 45 min late). However with all that it really was a treat. A completely different perspective from Main Street, I've never seen them from a resort before.

From CG it truly is spectacular!!! IMHO!

Doug :goofy:

This is all great info! I'm thinking about date night locations for myself and DW on our next trip, and watching Wishes from CG sounds really nice. Since we're going in August Wishes will probably be late for dinner time, so maybe we'll eat with the family earlier and then just do some apps and/or dessert here.

What is the best time to try for an ADR for Wishes viewing? Is it better to already be up there before they start to get a spot? Or is there plenty of space? I've never been to CG before so don't know how big the deck is.

OP here - I sort of laughed when I saw this thread pop up again. A few days after I started this thread I posted another one...that didn't end up getting any responses. (Boy it's hard not to feel like a dud when that happens!:rotfl:)

Anyway, I was able to get an earlier ressie at CG for another evening. So, instead of just dessert, we are thinking we may be able to do a full meal. The ADR is just a little earlier than our original one. It's at 9:00 instead of 9:40. But, for some reason, those 40 minutes feel a lot earlier.

Here's the thing...Holiday Wishes is at the exact same time as our ADR. 9:00. So, I'm not sure how seating will work. I wonder if they will just seat us after Wishes anyway as I can't imagine that anyone is going to give up their table just as the fireworks start.

OP here

Anyway, I was able to get an earlier ressie at CG for another evening. So, instead of just dessert, we are thinking we may be able to do a full meal. The ADR is just a little earlier than our original one. It's at 9:00 instead of 9:40. But, for some reason, those 40 minutes feel a lot earlier.

Here's the thing...Holiday Wishes is at the exact same time as our ADR. 9:00. So, I'm not sure how seating will work. I wonder if they will just seat us after Wishes anyway as I can't imagine that anyone is going to give up their table just as the fireworks start.

You can check in on the second floor early enough to go upstairs to see Wishes. Once upstairs let the CMs at the upstairs podium know that you want to go out on the deck to see Wishes first. Once Wishes is over quite a few tables will empty and if you want a window table you probably have a good chance of being seated at one. The view of the MK is lovely.

You can keep checking for an earlier time and if you find one, let your server know you want to go outside to see Wishes and they will pace your meal accordingly.

Don't count on getting seated at your assigned time.

We've waited as long as an hour to get seated at CG-and closer to fireworks time the harder it is.

Many folks who are finished dinner just camp out at their table waiting for the fireworks.

We have 7.10pm reservations at CG on Saturday November 15th. Hoping to see the fireworks from the deck. Will it be a problem?:confused:

Wow, this is very interesting to me and definitely something to consider. My DH called the dining reservation line to ask if we would be allowed up to see the fireworks even though our ADR is after fireworks time. They told him that we would definitely be able to come up to the observation area to watch Wishes. They told him that anyone who had reservations that day (no matter what time) could watch the fireworks from up there, you just had to show your receipt or reservation number. I wonder how early we'd have to head up there to ensure that we weren't blocked out?

You can't come substantially early for the fireworks, they usually don't allow it. If you save your receipt and were there earlier, you can come up to the deck to view it. It's generally not worth the trip to eat there early and then venture back to a resort for a firework vantage point, so a lot of people don't take them up on that.

A CM may allow you to do so if a lot of people didn't come back from earlier, as someone who made an ADR and is dining during the fireworks has a right to the viewing area before anyone else, so I'm assuming that could be why they generally turn away people with ADR's that are much later if the viewing area has a lot of earlier diners. If space is plenty, then I'm sure they'd let you in, but I wouldn't plan on it as a definite.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter