California Grill closing... (rumor)

Empress Room

Mouseketeer
Perhaps this isn't news, as I have seen this rumor posted in other threads, but DW and I had dinner at the California Grill last night and spoke to one of our long-time CM acquaintances who works there. Apparently, the Contemporary needs extensive roof and infrastructure repair which will necessitate closing the California Grill for approximately six months, beginning in the fourth quarter of 2012. Wait staff with seniority will be assigned to other restaurants during closure, but there are no guarantees on keeping positions open. The restaurant will not reopen as California Grill, as management has decided to refresh the look, fare and name - there will be a restaurant in the space when it reopens, but it will be a completely new concept.

We had a tremendous meal there last evening. Everything was outstanding, including the sushi, entrees desserts, wines and expert service. If this holds true, we will miss this fine restaurant.

We just ate there Friday night. Everything was spectacular. We ate back in the wine room, and could actually "hear" the music in the background - it was just lovely.

We try to eat here 3-4 times a year.... it's our very favorite. I would be "so" sad to see it go!

Wow, I hope that's just rumor! California Grill is my whole family's favorite restaurant and I would be very sad to see it go, particularly Yoshi's wonderful sushi creations.

Wow. I hadn't heard that. This is DH's favorite place to go. We will definitely have to eat there when we go in August. I hope it doesn't close before then.

Maggie

With that location and view, I'm pretty sure there will be a restaurant there.

And since CG seems to have done quite well since it opened, hard to understand why they would want to change it very much.

Well now I'm just so sad I cancelled our 12/18 reservation there and booked Yachtsman instead. Also one of our faves and if this rumor is true, I'd have wanted one last experience there!

My last two meals at California Grill were relatively disappointing, so I hope this rumor is true. The decor should definitely be brought into the 21st century, and a more modern menu could also make the restaurant even better. :)

I hope this is only a rumor (the part about changing California Grill, not the roof work and such). This is our favorite Signature restaurant and must do. DH and I would be very sad to see this wonderful place change into something different. Like all rumors, I am going to take it with a grain of salt until it is officially announced by Disney.

I hope this is only a rumor (the part about changing California Grill, not the roof work and such). This is our favorite Signature restaurant and must do. DH and I would be very sad to see this wonderful place change into something different. Like all rumors, I am going to take it with a grain of salt until it is officially announced by Disney.

I am not sure it is only a "rumor," as there is no reason to doubt what our CM friend told us about its closing; however, Disney does change its mind quite often and makes internal and even external announcements only to change its mind (let's not forget the Venetian Resort on the monorail loop and the Israel and Russian countries in World Showcase!). Plans and timing, of course, could change.

The reason why it would not come back as CG according to our source is that Disney feels that the California cuisine concept has run its course and the lifespan on any concept restaurant like CG is about fifteen years. He did indicate to us that, with the space and the view, there would definitely be a restaurant up there.

I think this is fantastic news and hope it is true. Unfortunately the CG used to be my #1 restaurant choice but has gone downhill over the years and is past its prime. I'm looking forward to whatever they do with the place.

I tried to get reservations there for Sept and Nov with no luck. For something that popular why would they want to change it?

CG holds a very special place in my heart, we ate their on our wedding night, and danced to Wishes in the dining room. I hope that this is just another misunderstanding, as we often see reported here....

I really hope this is a rumor!! The CG has been our family's last night dinner for 4 years now. We all look forward to it and can't imagine our vacation without it:sad1:

I tried to get reservations there for Sept and Nov with no luck. For something that popular why would they want to change it?
The decor is rather 90s (based on a motif that has been absent from the rest of CR for years), and the menu is also based on a trend that's largely faded. There's tons of potential to create an incredible new restaurant that both looks modern and features newer culinary trends than California fusion. :goodvibes

Replacements aren't always bad. Citricos, Ohana, and California Grill all replaced previously existing restaurants. I'm excited about the idea of this change. Of all the signature restaurants, I think California Grill needs this most. It just doesn't feel timeless to me.

From the internal FAQs is the Guest segment of The Hub

When will the 14th floor close for the refurbishment?
The refurbishment will coincide with renovations already planned for early 2013. We expect the new suites to be open to Guests later in the year.

Will the California Grill restaurant also be undergoing a renovation during this time?

As part of our ongoing maintenance plan, we routinely renovate and refurbish locations within our theme parks and resort hotels. At this time, no details have been finalized about a renovation for the California Grill restaurant.

Our server on Friday night also told us they were closing in 2012, so I was glad we were able to eat there on this trip since we may not be back until the end of 2012. This was one of the best meals we had the entire trip.

California Grill was one of the best dining experiences I've ever had, and easily my favorite at WDW. I'd be sad to hear about it closing, but I hope something equally worthy of the spectacular view takes its place if it is indeed nearing its end.

I've searched high and low for a reliable source to confirm this "rumor" and have been unable to find anything.

Yes, why would they kill something so good, so popular.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter