Calculator for costing meals (if dining plan good option or not)

married2mm

DIS Veteran
Is there an up to date (2019) pricing calculator available for me to play with?

Or is looking at menus and prices the most effective method?

Additionally; how much are character breakfasts at cape May & tusker house?
Do they cost the same?

Thanks in advance for any help.

sharonabe

DIS Veteran
Is there an up to date (2019) pricing calculator available for me to play with?

Or is looking at menus and prices the most effective method?

Additionally; how much are character breakfasts at cape May & tusker house?
Do they cost the same?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Unfortunately, the best calculator is the one on your phone. The online ones have not been updated to reflect alcohol or the raise in dining costs. I think the makers of them realized how difficult it was to keep up with Disney.

Here's the latest buffet costs I've seen anywhere, and this was last fall. It should at least be close:

married2mm

DIS Veteran
Unfortunately, the best calculator is the one on your phone. The online ones have not been updated to reflect alcohol or the raise in dining costs. I think the makers of them realized how difficult it was to keep up with Disney.

Here's the latest buffet costs I've seen anywhere, and this was last fall. It should at least be close:
Thanks very much.

• TheOneWithTheTriplets

DIS Veteran

I'd add $2-3 to each of these for a more realistic estimate. My meals in February/March were all close but slightly higher.

Pumbaa_

>Hakuna Matata!<
    It’s almost as easy to just set up a spreadsheet and do the math yourself by looking at menus and estimating what you would most likely order.

Between the huge hike last October, the addition of alcohol options, the meal plans are more of a value these days

Nancyg56

DIS Veteran
    I always use my own spreadsheet to determine which plan, if any, is the best option. I have a good idea what my family will actually order, so it's not too hard to calculate the approximate cost.

We use the snacks and usually find that for us, the average is $5 apiece so I add $10 per day per person, and I include $10 a day for beverages. Mine are more, I like wine and cocktails, but not all of us do, so if I average that amount any more we order is simply a bonus.

Wildthing76!

Earning My Ears
    We have been down a few s years know and we always do dining plan 1 table , 1 quick and 2 snacks we are a family of 3 we cannot eat at Disney World for $75 a day it would work out to be way more .

• ash-n-brensmom

DIS Veteran
    Looks like they finally updated for the price hikes last fall, but still don't include alcohol.
    I just used this calculator and it said it would be cheaper for me to skip the plan. The difference was about $23. However, since it didn't include the cost of alcohol which I plan to get with each meal and either keep in my room for pool time (I have a couple breakfasts at the hotel and I will grab a beer then) or have with my lunch and dinner, I can see this being more of a wash. I don't know what I plan to do yet. I'm going to be on a solo trip in Oct and have lots (too much) of time to think about it. It may be more economical to just put the money I would use for the dining plan onto a Disney gift card and see what I have left. If there is any left over I can just go buy myself something. Win/Win...lol

• Darklord77

Mouseketeer
    Interesting. I used both calculators with the same picks and got a $250 difference over 7 days for 4 adults on the QS plan. Distripplaner says I save $210 by not getting the plan. Magicguides says I save $40 by getting the plan. My personal rough calculations have always been in line with the distripplaner model. Add in alcohol and I might get to the break even point.

Connect

Disney News and Updates

Daily Updates and News

Disney World Restaurant Menus Disney World Rehabs and Closings

DINING AT WDW

THEME PARK HOURS
    MINI DINING REVIEWS

THEME PARK MAPS

DIS PODCASTS