Cake Boss - Cold Cut Pie

live4christp1

DIS Veteran
Anyone ever had this?

Was most intrigued by this unique creation they were making on the Cake Boss the other night (I think it was a re-run)......had never heard of anything like this before.

Cold Cut Pie.

I have looked all over the internet for a recipe but nothing seems to come close, some are like calzones, etc.

The one on the cake boss looked like they used some type of batter/dough.....almost looked like cornbread consistency. They added in cubes of cheese, deli meats and halved hard boiled eggs, kind of folding these ingredients into the batter. They then spread it in a baking pan and covered it with some sort of crust and baked.

It looked so good.....didn't look like a calzone to me......looked like a huge square cake or big pan of cornbread cut into squares.

Anyone have any ideas? Recipe?

Thanks!
Cristy

Have you looked at the things made with Bisquik that are called Impossible Pie? You don't put a crust on top of them but that's the only thing I could think of that sounds remotely similar to what you described.

I do have to say I'm not sure how tasty Cold Cut Pie sounds. :sick: I think it needs a better name!

Have you looked at the things made with Bisquik that are called Impossible Pie? You don't put a crust on top of them but that's the only thing I could think of that sounds remotely similar to what you described.

I do have to say I'm not sure how tasty Cold Cut Pie sounds. :sick: I think it needs a better name!

lol......I thought the same thing......but they sure did make it look good when they were scarfing it down. :goodvibes

That sounds like a variation on Impossible Pie. What that really is is a type of skillet cake that has had things added to it; the batter forms the crust when it bakes. There are sweet and savory versions of it; you can really do anything you want.

It's definitely an Italian thing! DH's family is Italian and MIL makes a great version of this at easter! She calls it Pizza Rustica (sp?) but it's a very similar thing - it's like a pastry base with chunks of deli meats like pepperoni, salami, proscuitto etc and lumps of cheeses like parmesan. It's SO GOOD! She makes this HUGE pie, I mean it serves 20-30 people and it's addictive!

I would love to give you her recipe but she's like a lot of Italians and has no recipe - she just puts in a little of this and a little of that until it tastes right!

ETA: So I just spoke to MIL on the phone and she says she actually wrote her recipe down this past easter! Something to do with recipes not being passed on because they were being lost when family members died...anyway, I have the recipe if you're interested?

Pizza Rustica aka Easter Pie, is an egg based quiche like pie but there are other cold cut yummies such as Stromboli and Prosciutto Bread to choose from. If the meats were just baked into the bread directly then you probably saw Prosciutto Bread, it is delicious and easy to make. You can pick up pizza dough anywhere and roll 1/4 inch chunks of Prosciutto into it, I also like it with sweet sopprosatta & provolone. Serve hot with a side of home made tomato sauce for dipping. WOW this is making me hungry.

I recently began to make my own cannoli & tri color cookies too, funny how leaving a city can force a person into learning how to cook

I like that Cake Boss show as for the most part it's entertaining.

But does anyone else think that "Mama" yells way too much? The show they filmed in Italy where Buddy was riding around on the scooter and Mama happens to spot him on the road and starts screaming at him to "come back here"

Good grief! That man is 33 years old! Here she is shrilling at him in the middle of the street with a dozen strangers looking on in disbelief.

IMO she ruins the show with all her screaming and yelling.

Coming from an Italian family myself, sure we could get pretty loud at family gatherings, but never to the point of one person screaming their fool head off at one of her grown kids!!

We call it pizza gain (not sure the correct spelling).

We have it at Easter. My mom makes it & now just uses the pillsbury dough & adds the meats, cheeses & eggs & bakes it.

YUMMY!!!

::yes:::flower3: As long as it's okay with your MIL though......wouldn't want to be taking a recipe that she wanted to keep within the family. You can PM me if you don't want to post it here.

Thanks!
Cristy

It's definitely an Italian thing! DH's family is Italian and MIL makes a great version of this at easter! She calls it Pizza Rustica (sp?) but it's a very similar thing - it's like a pastry base with chunks of deli meats like pepperoni, salami, proscuitto etc and lumps of cheeses like parmesan. It's SO GOOD! She makes this HUGE pie, I mean it serves 20-30 people and it's addictive!

I would love to give you her recipe but she's like a lot of Italians and has no recipe - she just puts in a little of this and a little of that until it tastes right!

ETA: So I just spoke to MIL on the phone and she says she actually wrote her recipe down this past easter! Something to do with recipes not being passed on because they were being lost when family members died...anyway, I have the recipe if you're interested?

I would LOVE the recipe!:yay:
...and I got kind of tired watching Cake Boss, but the episode of Buddy's family in Italy was endearing!

Yum, never heard of it but sounds delicious. If you can share the recipe, I would like it too.

MIL said it was fine to share recipe!

Ingredients:
Dough:
-4 cups flour
-1 tsp salt
-1/3 cup olive oil (that's meant to be a third!)
-1/2 cup cold water (and that's meant to be a half!)
-4 eggs
Filling:
-1/4lb supresatta sliced thin and cut into small pieces
-1/4lb proscuitto cut into small pieces
-1/2 a piece of pepperoni sliced and cut into small pieces
-1lb ricotta
-7 large eggs
-1/2lb cubed mozzarella
-3 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
-1 cup romano cheese

Directions:
(I don't have the recipe to make the dough, MIL said that "everyone knows how to make dough, just put the ingredients!" I don't know how to make dough but hopefully you guys will!!! When I told her this, she let out this big sigh like she was terribly dissapointed in me!!! :rotfl:)
Mix ricotta, mozzarella and romano cheeses in a bowl. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add all chopped meats to cheese mixture, along with the parsley and blend well. Add salt and pepper to taste. Line the bottom of a 10 inch pie plate with half the dough; pour in the filling and top with the other half of the dough mixture. Make a small eggwash to brush over the top of the crust. Bake at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes, then reduce temperature down to 350 degrees for about an hour or until the top of the pie is golden brown.

MIL said this recipe could probably make two pies, and that they keep very well.

Awesome, Katieinwonderland! Thank you so much to both you and your MIL for sharing the recipe! This will definately be a hit with my family! I will think of your kindness when I try to make it! :flower3:

Do you usually serve your Easter Pizza cold or hot? I've only ever had it on Easter at my MIL's house and she always served it at room temperature from the counter.

I have never liked it, but wonder if I would if it was something that was hot. I like everything that's in it, but I don't like it cold. Since I never had it before I met my DH, I've always wondered how others serve it.

:dance3: I really want to thank you for sharing this, My Grand mother made for us years ago and went into a nursing, Shas past this past september but could not give us the recipe, oh man this is the best thank you.:rotfl:
MIL said it was fine to share recipe!

Ingredients:
Dough:
-4 cups flour
-1 tsp salt
-1/3 cup olive oil (that's meant to be a third!)
-1/2 cup cold water (and that's meant to be a half!)
-4 eggs
Filling:
-1/4lb supresatta sliced thin and cut into small pieces
-1/4lb proscuitto cut into small pieces
-1/2 a piece of pepperoni sliced and cut into small pieces
-1lb ricotta
-7 large eggs
-1/2lb cubed mozzarella
-3 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
-1 cup romano cheese

Directions:
(I don't have the recipe to make the dough, MIL said that "everyone knows how to make dough, just put the ingredients!" I don't know how to make dough but hopefully you guys will!!! When I told her this, she let out this big sigh like she was terribly dissapointed in me!!! :rotfl:)
Mix ricotta, mozzarella and romano cheeses in a bowl. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add all chopped meats to cheese mixture, along with the parsley and blend well. Add salt and pepper to taste. Line the bottom of a 10 inch pie plate with half the dough; pour in the filling and top with the other half of the dough mixture. Make a small eggwash to brush over the top of the crust. Bake at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes, then reduce temperature down to 350 degrees for about an hour or until the top of the pie is golden brown.

MIL said this recipe could probably make two pies, and that they keep very well.

My Italian family lives in NE PA and make Easter pie ever year! I love it! I think it best served at room temp, but I don't see why you wouldn't be able to heat it up a little :) You can also sub in regular ham and/or ground sausage if you don't care for the traditional Italian meats :thumbsup2

Easter Pie is a long standing Italian Family tradition. Basically, you can use Ricotta cheese, but you MUST STRAIN IT OUT COMPLETELY, or you can use "basket cheese" or "farmers cheese", but not always easy to find.

Mix two packages of "basket cheese" or 1/2 large container of Ricotta cheese, DRAINED THOROUGHLY, to 6 eggs, 1 cup of grated Romano cheese, amd 2 tablespoons ground black pepper.

Fill pie plate with pie crust, (I used a redi made, uncooked like Pilsbury.) Put layer of Italian meats, (prosciutto, salami, ham, pepperoni), then pour over about two inches of cheese mixture, then more meat, then more cheese mixture until you get to the top of the pie plate. Last layer should be Meat.

Some people dont like a tip pie crust, but I like to put strips of pie pastry across the top in a checkerboard design.

Bake at 325 for about one hour or until cheese mixture is firm. Sprinkle with a mixture of Romano cheese and fresh basil.

Thats our version, everyones is different.

Good Luck

We call it pizza gain (not sure the correct spelling).

We have it at Easter. My mom makes it & now just uses the pillsbury dough & adds the meats, cheeses & eggs & bakes it.

YUMMY!!!

That's what we call it (I think the spelling is off), and every bakery and deli sells it here around Easter. There are signs in all the windows right now, plus Shoprite is hawking it over the loudspeaker. It's like turkey at Thanksgiving.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter