Cabanas - anyone else find it chaotic?

Sometimes it moves smoothly and of course I like the set up then, however I have had some experiences exactly like what you are saying. I might be waiting my turn, for someone to finish getting what I want and then someone else who has been told there is no line walks up in front of me to go next. And vice versa, if someone is standing "in line" not getting what I want, and I reach in to grab it, I feel rude doing so. It can get stressful and I'd much rather wait in a line like at a typical buffet then.

I also feel if I don't know what is out at each station I want to go through the whole line to see. I've been practically yelled at to keep moving don't wait in line but how do I know where to go when I don't know what is where? In the big picture it's not a a huge issue, but I do agree it can cause some chaos.

I loved the old Topsiders restaurant and the way it was set up. Does anyone else find this with Cabanas?

Yes! I hate Cabanas. I much preferred Topsiders on the Magic before they redid it. Not only do I find it more chaotic, but I also don't like that they no longer give you a tray when you enter. You have to juggle two or more plates and if you put anything down on a table and go get a drink or more food, someone will come by and clean it away unless you leave someone as a guard for it. It was so much easier with a tray. It's pretty much pushed us into going to an MDR for breakfast unless we have to be up early for a port excursion or we have a time limit.

I did t read others responses, so excuse me if any of my thoughts have been said.

Cabana can be really easy if you do these things.

1. Yes, there is no line, they are individual stations.
2. First, find your taxable. Put something down to save your tablet or do what we do we get your drinks and leave them on the table.
3. Take a look of all that is offered. I like to look at all the stations. I also look to see which side is less crowded.
4. I than take a small sample of a few things. I then go back for more of what I like or try something else.
5. You do not have to get in a line and pile one plate up with all the food you can carry.
6. Relax and enjoy your meal.

I find this works, especially if you have little ones.

I also sometimes, want to have salad or shrimp first and than look at the main courses that are offered. I really like to try a little of a lot.

I also enjoy Daisy Delights, especially now that they offer soup and bowls. So, sometimes I will check what Cabanas has and than go out to Daisy’s and get a few things and bring them into Cabanas.

Okay that’s my 3 cent!

Im booked on my first cruise for September 2020 and from all the research I have been doing, reading trip reports and watching YouTube videos, I have decided to not go to Cabanas for breakfast or lunch, if I can. My plan is to go to MDR for lunch on embarkation day and have breakfast in MDR on most days.

I've done 9 cruises and tbf the only time Cabanas is truly chaotic is lunch on embarkation day.
That is an absolute zoo and you have to dodge the hordes literally fighting for food.
Other than that, the rest of the time Cabanas is fine.. at breakfast lineups are not bad unless you go when all the ppl go which is 10-11 am, and those aren't terrible either. If you go 8-9 am you'll see no lineups.
Breakfast and lunch at the MDRs are bland with no variety.
If you plan your trips to Cabanas to go at the right times you'll love it.

Yes! I hate Cabanas. I much preferred Topsiders on the Magic before they redid it. Not only do I find it more chaotic, but I also don't like that they no longer give you a tray when you enter. You have to juggle two or more plates and if you put anything down on a table and go get a drink or more food, someone will come by and clean it away unless you leave someone as a guard for it. It was so much easier with a tray. It's pretty much pushed us into going to an MDR for breakfast unless we have to be up early for a port excursion or we have a time limit.
We actually find it easier on excursion days to go to the MDR for breakfast. We do Cabanas when we aren't rushed, because Cabanas before an excursion, with the entire ship there vying for tables is a madhouse!

Thanks for the responses.

When I asked the CM’s to elaborate on “no line” they all said to just pop in between people for the food you want. One of them said they hated this system and that they do get a lot of complaints on it.

I agree, lines aren’t bad on non-embarkation days but this last cruise it just seemed chaotic constantly.

I've done 9 cruises and tbf the only time Cabanas is truly chaotic is lunch on embarkation day.
That is an absolute zoo and you have to dodge the hordes literally fighting for food.
Other than that, the rest of the time Cabanas is fine.. at breakfast lineups are not bad unless you go when all the ppl go which is 10-11 am, and those aren't terrible either. If you go 8-9 am you'll see no lineups.
Breakfast and lunch at the MDRs are bland with no variety.
If you plan your trips to Cabanas to go at the right times you'll love it.

Thank you for sharing this — kids are early risers so we will probably eat breakfast around 7:30/8. If we go for lunch right when they open (looks like they often start serving at 12), should it be pretty manageable?

Thanks for sharing about Cabanas lunch on embarkation day. We were planning on doing that but now I’m wondering if we should just do quick service or the sit down option instead. Hmmmm ...

I didnt find it crowded. What helps if you just focus, and blur out the rest. If you get in and have a good look at it, yes then it can be overwhelming, many people going in all kinds of directions, people talking to each other, smells, sounds, it's all there.

Keep your focus: You need a tray, a plate and food.
Cutlery is on the table.

But you can go back for seconds, you can go back the next day. Either way, you can't eat it all. When you walk by the buffet and see something you like, put it on your plate.

For tables... I wouldn't claim a table using your belongings, if you do this you really annoy other guests and make others wait longer. If you claim, have at least one person at the table and keep moving at the buffet, don't take hours getting your food.

We like the cabanas food station "no line" concept WAAAAY better than the old "grab a tray and wait in line" version. As more people accept and follow the idea of perusing the buffet and stepping in to grab what you want concept, the number of "sneers" should reduce. And when I say perusing the buffet, I mean that my family actually views the buffet from a few feet away so that we are not taking up "buffet frontage." Then, we step in if we see something that appeals to us. I agree with PPs that courtesy must still come into play and you still need to "wait your turn" if someone is already at (or obviously approaching) the food station you want.

"No lines" means one long line. There should still be lines at the individual stations - you're not supposed to jump in between people just to grab steak fries.

I disagree. I believe there are truly "no lines" As mentioned in my previous post, if you look over the buffet from a few feet away, then step in to get what you want, it works very efficiently. If you follow the "smaller line at each station" concept, there are inevitably slow, pokey people, leaving much of the buffet frontage wide open as they inch. their. way. along...... which makes makes the "no line" concept pointless - you've just taken the "big problem" and spread it out into 3-4 smaller problems (but problems nonetheless). No lines (and no buffet frontage hogging) makes the buffet process extremely efficient as long as you still use common courtesy by waiting your turn if someone else is at, or approaching, the food you're interested in.

Last edited:
I disagree. I believe there are truly "no lines" As mentioned in my previous post, if you look over the buffet from a few feet away, then step in to get what you want, it works very efficiently. If you follow the "smaller line at each station" concept, there are inevitably slow, pokey people, leaving much of the buffet frontage wide open as they inch. their. way. along...... which makes makes the "no line" concept pointless - you've just taken the "big problem" and spread it out into 3-4 smaller problems (but problems nonetheless). No lines (and no buffet frontage hogging) makes the buffet process extremely efficient as long as you still use common courtesy by waiting your turn if someone else is at, or approaching, the food you're interested in.

I would never jump in front of someone else at a station - that is just rude. At the smaller stations, you get behind the people who are at that station.

I would never jump in front of someone else at a station - that is just rude. At the smaller stations, you get behind the people who are at that station.
No, I believe it is not rude. As @lilsonicfan commented, "If someone was at the station on the right, I would absolutely "jump in" to grab something on the left. If, however, I saw that person was starting to move to his left, I wouldn't cut in front but would just stand behind him and wait. "

No, I believe it is not rude. As @lilsonicfan commented, "If someone was at the station on the right, I would absolutely "jump in" to grab something on the left. If, however, I saw that person was starting to move to his left, I wouldn't cut in front but would just stand behind him and wait. "

You do you. I'll continue to do me.

Thank you for sharing this — kids are early risers so we will probably eat breakfast around 7:30/8. If we go for lunch right when they open (looks like they often start serving at 12), should it be pretty manageable?

Thanks for sharing about Cabanas lunch on embarkation day. We were planning on doing that but now I’m wondering if we should just do quick service or the sit down option instead. Hmmmm ...

If your kids are early risers you're more than good.
I usually wake up at 6, grab some coffee & read until 8 and then I hit cabanas for breakfast, it's almost empty.. then I leave the DD & mom to go by themselves 9.30-10 & they always whine about how full it was.

Same for lunch. If you go around noon you should be fine. 1-2 is the worst for crowds.

On embarkation day I suggest go to a MDR, if you're still hungry after (you may be as their lunch isn't as filling as a buffet) you can go to the pool & grab a pizza or burger w fries at Flo's

Have a fun cruise!

We breakfast in the room - more relaxing - then we can go right into the bathing suit/cover up routine and eliminate a clothes change.

Sometimes it moves smoothly and of course I like the set up then, however I have had some experiences exactly like what you are saying. I might be waiting my turn, for someone to finish getting what I want and then someone else who has been told there is no line walks up in front of me to go next. And vice versa, if someone is standing "in line" not getting what I want, and I reach in to grab it, I feel rude doing so. It can get stressful and I'd much rather wait in a line like at a typical buffet then.

I also feel if I don't know what is out at each station I want to go through the whole line to see. I've been practically yelled at to keep moving don't wait in line but how do I know where to go when I don't know what is where? In the big picture it's not a a huge issue, but I do agree it can cause some chaos.
For myself, and my young children, we were easily able to walk the length of the buffet (out of the way of the line) and see what was offered. For my in-laws, MIL in wheelchair, it was difficult for them to know their options. They usually just went to the first station they say and got something acceptable. (My DH was often helping MIL so he got a limited choice as well). I would feel bad that I would get to the table and have them disappointed in all the good things I got.

I agree that the procedure for Cabanas can be confusing, because it goes against what most of us are typically used to...getting in one long line and moving down, left to right.(That is how it used to be when it was topsiders). I have been standing on the outskirts before, waiting my turn, and had CM tell me that there wasnt a line and I didnt have to wait, so I know that it was the way that DCL is imagining that it should happen. Problem is that truthfully, most of us are more polite than that, and feel like it is weird to cut in, especially since so many people dont realize that the buffet has now been set up for that very system. I do a lot of of "Excuse me, I'm just going to reach in here," or "I'll be out of your way in a second" to others around me, even though most of them probably arent paying any attention to me. There just really needs to be signage perhaps, so that everyone is aware that this is the system now. Side note...I miss the trays also.

I try to be very conscious of everyone around me. That said, even at Golden Corral (or any buffet), if I don't want what the person in front of me is carefully choosing from and there's plenty of space in front of him, I go around. I'm not waiting for something I don't want.

It's like changing lanes on the highway... you see an opening and there's no one else going for it, then why do you have to stay behind the Sunday driver who's afraid to take their car up to the speed limit? You go around, but you don't cut people off, causing them to slam on their brakes and you don't crash into people.

It took me a couple cruises to get used to stepping in at stations rather than waiting at the entrance. In my experience, there are multiple stations of the same foods, and I only step in where there is a stack of plates, which I believe is about every second station. I feel I am doing my part to eliminate the line at the door.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter