BWV vs VWL, pros and cons of each?

LadyTrampScamp&Angel

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone,

I've just returned from a stay at WL and a look around at VWL, BCV, and where SSR will be. Unfortunately I ran out of time before getting to BWV.

I'm trying to figure out where we'd like to purchase. So far VWL appeals to me a lot, so peaceful and pretty there. I've ruled out BCV and OKW (just on personal preferences) - so how do VWL and BWV compare?

One big point for me with BWV is they have no dedicated 2 bedrooms (the unit size I expect to use) and now my kids are young (3 and 6). I don't like the idea of a lockoff with them.

If you can list some pros and cons of each I'd appreciate it!

Hi, LadyTrampScamp&Angel. Since you have stayed at VWL, you are aware of the unsurpassed theming there. Personally, that is the biggest draw for me, but I understand there are other opinions out there. The theming could not be more diverse between these two resorts. Have you seen BWV, even from a distance?
Location has never been a large issue for me, but for those who feel location is the #1 factor must choose if they prefer staying close to the MK, or close to Epcot & MGM.
Another factor in your decision may be what time of year you typically vacation.

Good luck with your decision....:cool:

We just returned from VWL. While it was a very nice resort, quiet, peaceful, etc. I absolutely love the BWV's. There's just something about it. I'm not sure if it's location and the proximity to two parks, the multitude of dining options, the nightlife (even for the little ones with the midway and the boardwalk type of "shows" that go one at night), or just the general atmoshphere. I felt lost at VWL. And I love the wilderness - spent many summers camping in the woods of Vermont!

It all comes down to personal preferences.

Good luck with your decision....btw are there dedicated 2bdrms at VWL???

I own at both BWV and VWL, so obviously I have a very high regard for both resorts!

I'm sure there are many more comments, but I'll toss a few strengths of each place out there:

BWV Strengths
- Easy walk to Epcot, not a bad walk to MGM either. Boats will back you up if you decide not to walk. :)
- Very active area with the Boardwalk...shops, restaurants, night clubs and the entertainment that strolls around.
- Very nice themed pool (even if the clown scares you!):p
- A feeling of being "close to the action", but the rooms themselves I've found to be plenty quiet.
- Point savings capability using Standard Views if home resort.
- Easier to book for Wine & Food Festival with 11 month window.

VWL Strengths
- As M Gracey said, the theming is wonderful. And from what I can tell, it wins hands down at Christmas time between the two. Owning there gives you 11 month access to the tough Holiday period there.
- Easy access to MK via the shuttle boat. Same for FW and the activities there.
- Child care facility ("Cubs Den"). BWV closed theirs and BC is the closest one.
- Outdoor activities such as boating on a large lake, bicycling and hiking. VWL is just better for this type of thing.
- Quiet. Though there is plenty of activity at the main resort (WL), the Villas are very peaceful. After a day in the parks, they are hard to beat for relaxation. And I'm partial to the great music that is piped throughout the grounds there that continues the theming.

I think both are great resorts....but then again I think all the DVC resorts are great. You just need to decide what features are most important to you!

Good luck! There is no wrong decision here. :)

hey I would go with the BCV before BWV - but everyone is different

BWV is nice - if you like a party atmosphere - BCV is much more laid back (my opinion)

I own at BWV and I have stayed there over the years - in both a preferred and standard view - only got the BW once in 6 tries - the rest of the time I got the main pool - yea looking at that stupid clown - not my idea of a preferred view - also I like to sit outside on the balcony - BWV the main pool view was so busy - that is was never a quiet thing to do - always noisey - same for the BW - but at least the view was something.

standard view much nicer - but again the cars going and leaving are noisy - if you are trying to enjoy the balcony.

I preferred BCV they do have some quiet views - or at least in my opinion quieter than BWV if you want to enjoy your balcony.

I too loved the themeing and the feel of being away from it all at VWL. CM's were nice, wasn't thrilled with Roaring forks but that won't be much of an issue. I have been on the Boardwalk, years ago, wasn't thinking about DVC then so I didn't pay attention to the details. I have seen BWV from a distance - some overpass from CBR, and it looks very attractive. I think probably on the next trip we'll have to stay there or the BWI to get a feel for which location we'd like better.

We will vacation in March (spring break) or take the kids out of school during the first couple weeks of December. My family is not good with summer heat and humidity. DH and I would like Epcot and having all the dining options, kids would like MK and the boat ride was great. It's so hard to figure out. Although I know we'd have a 7 month chance at another resort, I'm trying to decide which place we'd like the best and make that our home - advice from this board :)

With kids I really don't like the lockoff thing so that could be a decision maker. I don't think a dedicated bedroom can be guaranteed (right?) but at least VWL has them. I guess you never know till you try it so definitely want to give BWV a chance but wanted to get some thoughts also from this board. And then there's SSR coming . . .

I think the dedicated are guaranteed - your reservations will say dedicated if it is - if it is not - it won't say anything or lock-out.

Granny, sounds like you have an ideal situation there :) by owning at both! Thanks for the pros and cons - very helpful! Why was the childcare at BW closed?

spiceycat - thank you for the information on the balcony. I like to sit outside too and that info is good to know. Have you stayed at the BCV's on the side with the road? I thought that might bother me although those trees are there.

I'm happy to hear that dedicated can be booked :)

Originally posted by LadyTrampScamp&Angel

We will vacation in March (spring break) or take the kids out of school during the first couple weeks of December.
Oh my! December at the Lodge is awesome.....

I don't think a dedicated bedroom can be guaranteed (right?) but at least VWL has them.
The dedicated vs lock-off is somewhere in between guaranteed and requested.
You can ask for either, and your confirmation will state what you are booked for with the room size. In other words, a confirmation will look like this:

Vacation home type: Two bedroom (dedicated)

Requests: Non-smoking

I am not sure if this is a guarantee, but it sure looks more promising than a request.

As a previous poster said, something in favor of BWV would be the lower points needed for a standard view.

Good luck....:cool:

Yes I did - but we were on the fifth floor and I was so hynotized by being able to see Spaceship Earth 24 hours - that I don't remember any noisy - except for the Illiuinations going on - that was pretty noisy - but I didn't care - I really loved looking at S E - so noise was not a problem for me - for others it could be.

Originally posted by LadyTrampScamp&Angel
CM's were nice, wasn't thrilled with Roaring forks but that won't be much of an issue.

Funny you should mention this. DW and I were commenting how much we like the convenience of Roaring Forks and wished that BWV had something similar. I was hoping they'd put something like that in the space being vacated by the DVC offices, but it looks like they are going to convert them to villas instead.

***" I absolutely love the BWV's. There's just something about it. I'm not sure if it's location and the proximity to two parks, the multitude of dining options, the nightlife (even for the little ones with the midway and the boardwalk type of "shows" that go one at night), or just the general atmoshphere. " ***

I think the word you're looking for is NOISEY ;-}

Maistre Gracey, I was thinking about December too at the lodge. It's the perfect place to be for that time of year. Thanks for the clarification on dedicated rooms, it would make me feel more secure to see it in writing, although I know anything could happen.
spiceycat - I did notice that you could see SE from there which would be great, I just thought the road was so close that it might be a big distraction? Isn't it a service road? A few cars went by while I was walking around but doesn't seem to be heavy traffic. I couldn't tell from the outside if the trees would buffer it enough. Illuminations would be great from there, that kind of noise is ok, and it doesn't last all night :)
Granny - I do like having Roaring Forks there, it was just that what I ate was pretty generic (only ate there twice) so wasn't impressed - but maybe I just didn't pick the right things. It also seemed kind of small for all the people around, there was quite a line at peak times so I was wishing it was larger/getting your meal went faster. Thought it might not be worth the trouble if you are hungry when everyone else is. But then again I'm not ususally at WDW in the summer. Perhaps it's better at other times of the year? I did get a mug so it was nice to stop by and get it filled.
KNWVIKING - It is? :) So what is all the noise from? Lot's of people on the boardwalk? I can't remember!

Thanks again everyone!

KNWVIKING - It is? So what is all the noise from? Lot's of people on the boardwalk? I can't remember!
I would like to know also, I have stayed many, many times in villas all over BWV and have never been disturbed by noise even in a boardwalk view villa. :confused:

Relaxxxxxxx..... I'm only joking. I've only stayed at BWV once and I never heard a peep, of course, judging by the walk down the hallway my room may have been in the Savana in AK.

Relaxxxxxxx.... I'm only joking.

Seriously, our stay there was great. Didn't hear anything to be concerned about. The Boardwalk area is busy but in a good way.

KNWVIKING,
I am glad to hear this. I was beginning to wonder....................... I know Vineland, NJ is quiet with all the open space and farms vs the busy, noisey community I live in, in Linwood, NJ (not!-- it's a very quiet and laid back community). But all kidding aside, I thought jeez, I know I am getting old but my hearing is just fine and since I have grown children I am no longer used to a lot of noise, etc and I can honestly say BWV, especially in the villas away from the boardwalk and main pool, are just as quiet and peaceful as Linwood, and that is pretty darn quiet and peaceful!

how much time are you spending on the balcony - especially a pool view - quiet - you got to be kidding!!!

as the bw - well in the daytime it is pretty quiet - but at night - when the music is going and the kids are playing - that in my book is not quiet!

Now I spend alot of time on the balcony - maybe you don't.

We have stayed at all the resorts and BWV is my favorite. My GC love the activities on the boardwalk in the evening--magicians, musicians, games, etc. Especially when the parks close early.

But I also prefer BCV over VWL. BCV and BWV are similar enough that I think you would probably prefer VWL over BWV. Epcot is our favorite park and we walk over there at least once a day; to eat or to see Illuminations. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the resorts. They are all great in their own way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter