BWV 2bd in October- changing plans- what would you do?

suebeelin

DIS Veteran
Hi! Was wondering what you would do??

We have a (good and bad) dilemma- 2 things.
1. 2 bd std at BWV in October. Only a parent (or both parents) and two kids going. Can/should I try to size it down to a 1bd or studio? Can you do that without losing your rooms (split the 2bd into a studio and 1bd)? Which would you choose for an 8 day trip? A studio? Or 1bd? Save points, or have a washer/dryer/full kitchen??

2. We don’t know where we will be living in October as we may be moving in July or August (from the southeast to the northeast). Consequently, husband (if he stays husband) may not be able to join bc of new job. Not sure what to do there. Airfare, etc are considerations. Really stressed out about this right now!

Any advice? What would you do??

The usual rule has been that you cannot downsize from a 2BR lock-off to a 1BR (or studio) unless a 1BR (or studio), independent from the one that is part of your reservation, is available for reserving at the time of attempting the change. There was a short period in the past when MS actually allowed the change even absent that issue of availability but I have not seen anyone report being allowed to do that for a long time now, and it may have happened simply because the particular MS personnel contacted allowed it, not knowing it was not permitted. Of course, nothing prevents you from at least trying to do the change either by an attempted modication online or by calling MS (the medication process online is designed to keep what you have until it is certain you are getting the change you want)..

You do not lose any points by changing to a lower point cost room. Any points not used for the reservation go back into your account. The only issue you then have is whether you can still do another trip using those points during the same use year or can bank them because you are still within your banking window and none of the points are ones already banked or borrowed.

If you are unable to downsize to a standard 1BR or studio at BWV, then your choices become limited. October is a high demand time and you are now 6 months out, meaning that much everywhere is likely already reserved. It might be possible to still get a 1BR or studio at SSR, or a 1BR at Kidani or OKW but beyond that you may be blocked out.

As to the choice between a studio and 1BR for 8 days, I personally would choose the 1BR because I consider the kitchen and w/d a necessity.

You, of course, have two other options: keep what you have or cancel the trip and wait until next year, a choice you might want to consider with the changes you have coming up.

Last edited:
For a December trip, I was not allowed to combine a one bedroom with a studio to make a lock off two bedroom. It had to be done through a waitlist and 5 months out it never happened.

I would probably try to downsize to a 1 bedroom for the washer dryer and kitchen. You can try the modify option for the reservation online. If it won't let you downsize, then a one bedroom isn't available. The online modify option sure has saved me some calls to to Member Services.

Last edited:

To help alleviate the stress I would leave the room booking as is. Once you know where you will be living buy your plane tickets. It sounds like you are already dealing with a bunch of other stressors in your life right now. Don't make disney one of them. My guess is that there are not any studios nor will there be any 1BR available right now for you to book.

So you could try a couple things:
1. You could put in a couple waitlist for a 1Br somewhere on property, probably better option than trying to get a studio.
2. You could call MS to see if they could change it to a 1BR but my guess is they will say no. You would have to cancel and then releasing a studio and 1BR would likely go to fill a waitlist. But i guess it can't hurt to ask.
3. If your points won't be lost you could cancel the reservation and bank the points for use next year when things settle down for you.

Depending on the age of the kids, I would just keep the two bedroom. That keeps the living room open for someone who may not be ready to go to bed with everyone else. Otherwise one of the kids might end up sleeping with me, and I would prefer to avoid that.

If you can still bank all the points, I'd just cancel at this point and go next year.

We did this last September. You have to book separate reservations for each unit a studio and 1 bedroom. My daughter and grandsons were with us for a couple of days, had the studio attached to 1 bedroom, when they left, the studio was locked off. I know your situation is different, so you have to figure what is best for you. I live on borrowed points :rolleyes:, so I would not change my reservation, unless I have another trip planned in that use year.

Thank you! Did not know they no longer allow one to split their rooms- I was able to split my reservation/room in the past and drop the studio or 1bd. I’m kinda bummed. Maybe I can invite another family or my parents with!

Thank you for the info!!

Last edited:
To help alleviate the stress I would leave the room booking as is. Once you know where you will be living buy your plane tickets. It sounds like you are already dealing with a bunch of other stressors in your life right now. Don't make disney one of them.

I definitely agree.

Thank you! Did not know they no longer allow one to split their rooms- I was able to split my reservation/room in the past and drop the studio or 1bd. I’m kinda bummed. Maybe I can invite another family or my parents with!

Thank you for the info!!

Maybe before you invite another group, just call MS and see. Sometimes they go above and beyond when a situation is explained. Obviously there is no guarantee but there is no harm in trying.

Hi! Was wondering what you would do??

We have a (good and bad) dilemma- 2 things.
1. 2 bd std at BWV in October. Only a parent (or both parents) and two kids going. Can/should I try to size it down to a 1bd or studio? Can you do that without losing your rooms (split the 2bd into a studio and 1bd)? Which would you choose for an 8 day trip? A studio? Or 1bd? Save points, or have a washer/dryer/full kitchen??

2. We don’t know where we will be living in October as we may be moving in July or August (from the southeast to the northeast). Consequently, husband (if he stays husband) may not be able to join bc of new job. Not sure what to do there. Airfare, etc are considerations. Really stressed out about this right now!

Any advice? What would you do??

I don't know if you were being sarcastic about your husband possibly becoming an ex or if it's a real thing going on in your life (hard to gauge from the internet). If you really are contemplating divorce, then I would leave the reservation alone as it is just one more thing to worry about. Staying in a 2-bedroom with just you and two kids going, will still be nice to give everyone their own space. I'm sorry you're going through this. :hug:

For a December trip, I was not allowed to combine a one bedroom with a studio to make a lock off two bedroom. It had to be done through a waitlist and 5 months out it never happened.

BOBBI: This one SHOCKS me! I have never had them refuse to combine separate 1-BR and ST rooms that I have pieced together to make a 2-BR at BWV even when there is no other availability showing.....done it at least 3 times in the past.

TO OP: A few years back about 45 days prior to check-in I used the waitlist at 3am to request a BWV 1-BR in replacement for a BWV 2-BR..... by noon my waitlist came through....the 2-BR was canceled and point difference was back in my account ... I didn't think they would do it ... but they did.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter