• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Buying Tickets - Is this a sound strategy

runwad

Dis Veteran
I just need some others opinions to make me feel comfortable about pulling the trigger on a ticket purchase. I'd like to buy some of the old ones before they sell out from Undercover Tourist. I have no idea when I'd use them so was thinking to just get the 2 day base tickets and I can always in the future add more days or hoppers if we like. But at this point I just don't want to really have so much money tied to a future trip. We always stay off site so I'm sure we'd never do a package.

Is my logic off in any way? Do you have a better idea? Thanks

My thinking is that the more days you buy before the increase the more $$ you save. We only did this once, getting our UT tix a few months earlier that we would have, saved about 5% on 2 9 day hoppers.

Bill From PA

I just need some others opinions to make me feel comfortable about pulling the trigger on a ticket purchase. I'd like to buy some of the old ones before they sell out from Undercover Tourist. I have no idea when I'd use them so was thinking to just get the 2 day base tickets and I can always in the future add more days or hoppers if we like. But at this point I just don't want to really have so much money tied to a future trip. We always stay off site so I'm sure we'd never do a package.

Is my logic off in any way? Do you have a better idea? Thanks
The UC tourist site will show you how much you will save over gate price. I think their 2 day Magic Your Way ticket is higher than the gate price.

Their mailed tickets are refundable for a year, minus a 5% fee. I have done this and it works fine. Their e tickets are non-refundable.

Last edited:
Last year (2016) I bought 6 day base tickets from undercover tourist for a trip in 2018 because I wanted to get them before a price increase. Last week, I asked my husband if I could buy more because they still had the 7 day PH for the price of a 4 day PH. He actually yes, so now I have 2 sets of tickets. They never expire, and with the way ticket prices keep going up, the better deal I get by purchasing them now. However, I just checked the undercover tourist website and it says "this ticket is slightly higher than gate price" for the 2 day base ticket, so not sure how much a good deal that would be.

Buy the tickets with the highest savings - like Eastern said, UT doesn't discount 2 day tickets, and they may actually cost more.

If you have the money, go for it. It's not like the Disney Vacation Account or any savings account in a bank will get earn you interest MORE than you save by buying tickets now. Just don't go nuts and buy a lot, just maybe buy for your one NEXT vacation.

I just bought 5 day (non-hopper tickets) for my wife and son (my daughter will be under 3 for a while) .. probably for a trip in 2018 or 2019. That is an instant savings of 15%+ compared to the new prices.

If ticket prices go up in 2018 or 2019 (both are likely considering Star Wars land will be coming out in 2019) I have "saved" myself from at least 2-3 price increases .. which amounts to even more savings.

This is why Disney wants to get rid of this tickets that don't expire, probably a lot of people were catching on and just pre-buying their trips years in advance to avoid price increases.

Find me a short-term investment vehicle that will earn you 15-20% by just holding onto your money until your next trip.

Considering the tickets never expire, it seem low-risk.

I also bought up some 10-day NO-EXPIRATION hopper tickets back in 2014 before they stopped making those. I should have bought several batches instead of just 10 days. They are still paying dividends today .. as every 2 (soon 3) short trips I've been on since 2014 has already been paid for and basically gets me in the park for $75/day WAY cheaper then just getting a normal 2 day ticket would be right now. That was money well spent. I am going in March again and using 2 more days with those tickets. Makes the vacation easy to afford if a lot of it is already paid for.

I know they are listed for more than gate price now. My thinking is they don't expire. I could add more days later cheaper, because I already have the most expensive first day paid for.

I know they are listed for more than gate price now. My thinking is they don't expire. I could add more days later cheaper, because I already have the most expensive first day paid for.

You definitely want to buy a 3-day ticket, at the minimum.

You need to fully do the math (and know what you ultimately want to buy) before jumping into a ticket deal.

I'm new to Undercover Tourist and mashed figures today. Can someone confirm for me that a "4 day Park Hopper plus Extra 3 days" is getting me 7 days in a row? Little nervous why it doesn't just say it's a 7 day ticket.

I'm new to Undercover Tourist and mashed figures today. Can someone confirm for me that a "4 day Park Hopper plus Extra 3 days" is getting me 7 days in a row? Little nervous why it doesn't just say it's a 7 day ticket.

You get a full 7 day park hopper.

They just want you to know that you are getting it at the price of a 4 day.

Thanks! How do I know these don't expire? Would it be indicated?

If (IF) they do have an expiration date, it would be Dec. 31, 2018.
Would that make a difference in your needs?

If so, just contact UT and ask.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter