Buying Second Contract - Direct or Resale

shainky84

Earning My Ears
Friends,

Three years after purchasing, my now husband and I have just about paid off our first DVC contract. We purchased 75 points direct through Disney during our first trip together in May 2014 [Backstory - He was always a big Disney fan and had been thinking about DVC for a few years prior; it was my first trip in 15+ years and I drank the Kool-Aid!]. While we knew we would need to increase our point total in the future, at the time 75 points worked for us and the expense was manageable. A week in a studio room every 18-24 months worked for us, and we came up with a plan to pay everything off.

Now that we are married and talking about kids, the time has come to add-on. For the two of us and our future children, a minimum one-bedroom villa will be necessary on any trip. My niece is old enough to appreciate Disney, so my sister-in-law and brother-in-law are finally coming around to the idea of a trip once my nephew meets the minimum height requirements. If they come, my father-in-law will likely join us. In that situation, we will need a two- or perhaps even a three-bedroom villa to accommodate everyone. Eventually, I hope to get my side of the family to jump on the bandwagon. More points are definitely needed!

When we bought in 2014, the restrictions Disney placed on resale contracts worked and convinced us to buy directly. Now that those restrictions are expanded, should we buy directly through Disney again or go resale? Are we still able to take advantage of the DVC member discounts and perks even if our second contract is resale? Is the ease and convenience and working with Disney directly, especially as a repeat buyer, worth the added cost? Is the lack of flexibility in using resale points for non-Disney locations a reason to avoid resale? Would buying a second contract resale negatively impact our relationship with DVC?

How many points should we add-on? I don't see us doing Disney every year, but certainly every other. I am a teacher, so our travel dates are usually limited to peak travel times like holiday weekends, school vacations, and summer breaks. Should we just add-on a minimum amount and grow our points over time, or do look further down the road and buy a lot of points now?

Would love to hear input, good and bad, from those of you who have been in our shoes. Thanks for the feedback!

Don't buy points based on a one-shot trip or long-term subsidy for relatives, generally speaking. You're much better off renting for one-offs, or getting a points transfer rather than making a capital outlay for something that won't be a regular event.

As a prior member, you can still use all discounts. You cannot use resale points for cruises, Disney Collection, etc. even with a prior direct contract, as they are non-qualified. Not being able to use points for poor point value transactions is not a reason against resale. It's actually probably in favor of resale.

You don't have a "relationship" with DVC that would be impacted by a resale contract. It's not like cheating on your spouse. It is a timeshare contract.

Since you are a direct purchaser, you will always have what ever perk DVD offers. Just remember any perks can be removed, so only buy for the units, not the perks. I would NOT buy anymore direct. Add to your existing contract, that is, same resort, same UY and title exactly the same. That is if you did not buy the Poly. Since you sound like you will want/need larger units in the future you don't have any options at the Poly, just studios and those overwater/over priced mistakes.

Your direct purchase qualifies you for the perks. By resale, save some money, use the point charts and your master vacation spread sheet to see how many points you need to take the vacations that you want, where you want.

Try to buy the same UY and have the deeded ownership match your original contract.

:earsboy: Bill

Don't buy points based on a one-shot trip or long-term subsidy for relatives, generally speaking. You're much better off renting for one-offs, or getting a points transfer rather than making a capital outlay for something that won't be a regular event.

As a prior member, you can still use all discounts. You cannot use resale points for cruises, Disney Collection, etc. even with a prior direct contract, as they are non-qualified. Not being able to use points for poor point value transactions is not a reason against resale. It's actually probably in favor of resale.

You don't have a "relationship" with DVC that would be impacted by a resale contract. It's not like cheating on your spouse. It is a timeshare contract.

Totally agree with you on the extended family thing; can't imagine that will be something that will happen often. But a minimum for the immediate family is a must! Agree with you in theory on the "relationship" idea; but something seems weird about it for me. Thanks!

Since you are a direct purchaser, you will always have what ever perk DVC offers. Just remember any perks can be removed, so only buy for the units, not the perks. I would NOT buy anymore direct. Add to your existing contract, that is, same resort, same UY and title exactly the same. That is if you did not buy the Poly. Since you sound like you will want/need larger units in the future you don't have any options at the Poly, just studios and those overwater/over priced mistakes.

We are Animal Kingdom Kidani, so no worry about Poly. Agree they are overpriced, though I would like to at least sea the over-water rooms at Poly and Wilderness.....How does one get a resale contract added to an existed contract? Is a redone contract or just two that match?

Your direct purchase qualifies you for the perks. By resale, save some money, use the point charts and your master vacation spread sheet to see how many points you need to take the vacations that you want, where you want.

Try to buy the same UY and have the deeded ownership match your original contract.

:earsboy: Bill
Thanks! How does one get the new ownership to match the original?

New points are always a new contract, whether you buy direct or resale. Contracts cannot be added to or divided. It's not a "redone contract."

What you'll want is a Use Year that matches, and title it EXACTLY the same.

New points are always a new contract, whether you buy direct or resale. Contracts cannot be added to or divided. It's not a "redone contract."

What you'll want is a Use Year that matches, and title it EXACTLY the same.

Gotcha. So the names and addresses and all of that needs to be identical?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!