Buying multiple direct contracts at the same time

CaptainAmerica

DIS Veteran
I'm looking to get my ducks in a row in advance of Poly2 and I had a few questions about pricing when you buy multiple direct contracts at the same time.

I know you can buy two 150 point contracts at the same resort at the same time and qualify for the 300 point pricing. What about if you buy two 150 point contracts at the same time at two different resorts? For example, if I bought 150 Aulani points and 150 Poly2 points at the same time, would I qualify for the 300 point pricing?

What about three 100 point contracts? Say I wanted 100 Aulani, 100 Animal Kingdom, and 100 Poly2? Is this even possible? If it's possible, would it qualify for 300 point pricing? Regardless of pricing, would this qualify for "blue card" benefits?

LOL, Captain. I think you need to call your guide.

Pretty sure you need one contract to be at least 150 points to qualify for blue card benefits (if you are not already qualified). No idea on your other questions, but if I were to guess, I'd say no to 300 point incentives if the resorts were different & yes if the contracts were all for the same resort. I will be interested in what you find out. :)

Unfortunately, no. The contracts all have to be the same resort to qualify for the incentives. The only time they allowed it was a few years ago when the incentives were exactly the same for both RIV and CCV. In that case, since the discount off was identical it didn't matter.

Normally, though, they are not and so they won't do it. What they did do for me this year...which I was surprised...was give me the 300 point incentive price for purchasing 150 VGF points for my December UY and for the 150 points I bought in a new June UY. Same resort though, so all incentives were equal.

Of course, you can always try!

Unfortunately, no. The contracts all have to be the same resort to qualify for the incentives. The only time they allowed it was a few years ago when the incentives were exactly the same for both RIV and CCV. In that case, since the discount off was identical it didn't matter.

Normally, though, they are not and so they won't do it. What they did do for me this year...which I was surprised...was give me the 300 point incentive price for purchasing 150 VGF points for my December UY and for the 150 points I bought in a new June UY. Same resort though, so all incentives were equal.

Of course, you can always try!

I had the same experience as Sandi. I tired last year to have them combine the CCV and AKV incentives and it was a hard no. However they did give me the same incentive across two UYs with the same resort.

A new rule that was implemented in March 2022 was that DVC will only let you split contracts into a maximum of four contracts. Gone are the days where you can buy 300 points and split them into 6 x 50 point contracts. Maximum is now four.

A new rule that was implemented in March 2022 was that DVC will only let you split contracts into a maximum of four contracts. Gone are the days where you can buy 300 points and split them into 6 x 50 point contracts. Maximum is now four.
Would a 4x50 within the same resort qualify for "blue card" benefits?

No. You have to have one with at least 150. If you don't have direct points, your first contract has to be minimum 150 to get into the "direct club".
If that's right, it would appear to contradict their published language.

Effective June 3, 2021, to obtain a Disney Vacation Club Membership Card, Members must accumulate a total of at least 150 Vacation Points purchased directly from Disney Vacation Development, Inc. Disney and Concierge Collections options are not available for ownership interests not purchased directly from Disney Vacation Development, Inc. after March 21, 2011, and, effective April 4, 2016, Members who have not purchased an ownership interest directly from Disney Vacation Development, Inc. will not have access to Membership Extras.

If that's right, it would appear to contradict their published language.

Effective June 3, 2021, to obtain a Disney Vacation Club Membership Card, Members must accumulate a total of at least 150 Vacation Points purchased directly from Disney Vacation Development, Inc. Disney and Concierge Collections options are not available for ownership interests not purchased directly from Disney Vacation Development, Inc. after March 21, 2011, and, effective April 4, 2016, Members who have not purchased an ownership interest directly from Disney Vacation Development, Inc. will not have access to Membership Extras.

Can you record the conversation with your guide when you table that? I’ll get the bowl of popcorn.

We have used 4 guides - one was a DVC cruise member plus a DVC guide - and only the first one was willing to toss in extras but then again the incentives were huge when we purchased in 08. The middle guide was nice and chatty but he only did what he could back up with DVC rules and he never threw in any swag. The last combo was pretty straightforward small add-on so I was surprised to receive swag in the mail.

No one, even the first guide, ever mentioned splitting up our contracts to equal the minimum needed.

The only guide I've ever liked was on a ship and she's impossible to get (because she's on a ship). I don't like being sold to, and I think they get crabby with me when they see I have 600 resale points.
Sorry to hear that! I’ve had great interactions with guides, and I had roughly 800 resale with only 32 direct, until we purchased VGF this year.

I’d highly recommend my current guide- Rodney “Chris” Evans (Rodney.Evans@disney.com)

Yes! That is correct- it is the accumulation of direct points which qualifies you. I think the issue some have here is UY/membership. As long as you are adding onto an existing (even resale) membership, you can add as little or as much per contract as you’d like. Once you hit the 150 total (on that ONE membership) you’re in. 🤩 If, however, you are starting with a new membership (UY or names on deed), that’s when the 150 minimum rule applies.

I have 3 UY’s. One was blue card & the other 2 were not. When we added on at VGF, I added that to a non-blue membership in 2 contracts of 100 each… & it’s now a blue card membership. 😄

If, however, you are starting with a new membership (UY or names on deed), that’s when the 150 minimum rule applies.
And in that case (correct me if I'm wrong), it's NOT that I could buy smaller contracts and just be disqualified from Direct benefits, it's that they literally wouldn't sell me anything smaller than 150 in the first place, right?

Sorry to hear that! I’ve had great interactions with guides, and I had roughly 800 resale with only 32 direct, until we purchased VGF this year.

I’d highly recommend my current guide- Rodney “Chris” Evans (Rodney.Evans@disney.com)

Yes! That is correct- it is the accumulation of direct points which qualifies you. I think the issue some have here is UY/membership. As long as you are adding onto an existing (even resale) membership, you can add as little or as much per contract as you’d like. Once you hit the 150 total (on that ONE membership) you’re in. 🤩 If, however, you are starting with a new membership (UY or names on deed), that’s when the 150 minimum rule applies.

I have 3 UY’s. One was blue card & the other 2 were not. When we added on at VGF, I added that to a non-blue membership in 2 contracts of 100 each… & it’s now a blue card membership. 😄

That makes sense now! I was told minimum of 150 it was when I first joined.

Since this has been brought up... Is there any benefit to having 2 blue card memberships? I ask because I just started with a second UY at VGC and am going to add some direct points to it when VDH opens, just debating how many. I've already got the blue card from my WDW UY just wondering if it's worth it to do it on my DLR UY.

Since this has been brought up... Is there any benefit to having 2 blue card memberships? I ask because I just started with a second UY at VGC and am going to add some direct points to it when VDH opens, just debating how many. I've already got the blue card from my WDW UY just wondering if it's worth it to do it on my DLR UY.
Might you sell the other one?

Yes. It will as long As you never sell more than one those contracts later on.

The membership extras are tied to the contracts when bought.

So, if it’s one 150 when you buy and you sell two of those, it’d drop you to 100 and you’d lose status. To get it back, you’d have to meet whatever minimum was now in place.

And in that case (correct me if I'm wrong), it's NOT that I could buy smaller contracts and just be disqualified from Direct benefits, it's that they literally wouldn't sell me anything smaller than 150 in the first place, right?

If you are an existing owner, they will sell you smaller contracts.

But as I posted, you have to keep those contracts for a total of 150 to keep the benefits.

Another example..you buy 200 in 4 contracts of 50. In two years tot buy another direct for 50 but when you do the minimum is now 175.

If you sold two of the original that made you eligible at 150, and dropped to 100, you’d lose status because the newest contract was bought when the minimum was 175 and so you would be required to reach 175 now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter