• Controversial Topics Several months ago I added a private forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in opt-out. Click Here

But Why Is The Rum Gone?-A May 2022 Disney/Universal DTR- Completed 8/5

Islands Dining Room

Our last meal of the trip was breakfast at Islands. We arrived at Islands shortly after check out, and they told us they only serve the buffet after 11 am. (I think this was different than what they were offering previously since last year there was no buffet and prior to that I think you could get a la carte menu items too). The buffet was full of every breakfast option you could want, and is one of my favorites.

I got:

Chocolate milk, yogurt and fruit, scrambled eggs, bacon, potatoes, and a bagel.

IMG_6568.jpeg

Josh got:

Bacon, potatoes, scrambled eggs, an omelet

IMG_6570.jpeg

It was all very good, and I'd recommend getting breakfast here if you stay at RPR.

And that's it for food for this trip! (Although Josh did grab some Voodoo Doughnuts for the trip home).

IMG_6584.jpeg

Next up I'll post my wrap up of best and worst food for this trip!

Last edited:
Mmm, donuts! Thank you so much for your reviews and scrumptious-looking photos. You have given us plenty of food for thought. I can see that a special trip to Disney Springs will be necessary in order to inhale deeply and appreciate Art’s Famous chicken et al.

Mmm, donuts! Thank you so much for your reviews and scrumptious-looking photos. You have given us plenty of food for thought. I can see that a special trip to Disney Springs will be necessary in order to inhale deeply and appreciate Art’s Famous chicken et al.
Aw you're welcome! I'm glad I gave you some food ideas. And yes that famous chicken is amazing!

Wrap Up aka The Best & Worst Food of Our Trip

We'll start with...

:rainbow:
The Best Meal of the Trip Overall
:rainbow:

Strongwater Taven & Shula's Steakhouse

IMG_5576.jpeg

IMG_6275.jpeg

It's no surprise to anyone who's read one of my DTR's before, but our favorite of the trip was our meal at Shula's. As always the food was incredible! But we also loved everything we tried at Strongwater Tavern, and I can't believe we haven't eaten there sooner.

Worst Overall Meal: Amatista Cookhouse

IMG_5865.jpeg

We've had other disappointing meals at Amatista, but this one was so bad that we decided we wouldn't go back there again.

Best Fries: The Daily Poutine & Dluxe Burger

WrhyIqNl.jpg

Best Buffet: Trattoria Del Porto

IMG_5697.jpeg

It was the Mother's Day Brunch which is different from their usual buffet, but there was so much to choose from!

Best Appetizer: The nachos at Margaritaville (even though it was more like an actual meal :rotfl:). Josh loved his appetizer at Bice.

IMG_5434.jpeg

Best Dessert: Bread pudding at Strongwater Tavern, Pretzel bread pudding in Epcot, & the Tropical Serenade at Aloha Isle

IMG_5583.jpeg

Best F&G Snacks:

1. Taco Vampiro
2. Violet Lemonade
3. Beignet Caramélisé, Fourré Crème Vanille, Glacé au Caramel Fleur de Sel

IMG_5965.jpeg

Best Service: Shula's Steakhouse & Trattoria Del Porto Mother's Day Buffet

Best Sandwich: Grilled Cheese-Boardwalk Bakery & the Fried Chicken Sandwich-Homecomin'

IMG_5875.jpeg

The Bakery has since closed, but I think the new Boardwalk Deli will have the same sandwich which is great news because that soup/sandwich combo was amazing!

Most surprising (in a good way): Confisco Grille

After years of not hearing the best reviews, and thinking the menu only looked okay we decided to try out Confisco Grille. While it wasn't the best meal of the trip, the food was quite good and we'd go back there in the future if we were looking for a meal in IOA.

Most Disappointing (in a bad way): Cityworks, Boma

I'd only heard good things about Cityworks brunch, but found it underwhelming. I also had fond memories of the food at Boma from a few years back, but didn't really think it had the same quality/variety this time.

Best Drink (Alcholic): Tiki Tiki Tiki Tiki Tiki Rum-Trader Sam's, Blackberry Martini-Strongwater Tavern (& Josh really loved the rum flights here), Strawberry Hard Cider at the America Pavilion in Epcot

IMG_5477.jpeg

This trip was very food-centric, and we had so many amazing meals. We tried a lot of new places, and most of them were great! Aside from one bad meal, I can't really say anything we had was terrible. & I think we found a new favorite place with Strongwater Tavern.

So that wraps up this DTR!

We have another trip coming up in a couple of weeks for HHN, and while we won't be doing as much TS dining on that trip; I still plan to write reviews for all the places we visit. We'll be visiting Disney and Universal, and trying lots of new places as well as snacks from F&W and HHN.

If you want to follow along until then here's the PTR!

HHN 31 Time!

Last edited:

Thank you for an awesome report! Now im mad that pretzel bread pudding wasnt at the festival last year!​
Thanks for reading!

It’s not for the festival, I think it’s an all the time thing now. They added it like a month before our trip. It’s at Germany’s QS. Hopefully it’ll be there when you go next!

Thank you so much for the reviews - looks like a fantastic trip and I have some new restaurants to research on this end. :) Happy 30th!

That’s my local airport too. It’s been several years since I flew, so I don’t remember that art piece. But I definitely know that the airport has the only Chick-fil-a in the region (for now at least)
That's my airport as well. Small world!

Hellooo! Trying to get caught up with all the DisPeeps, I've been MIA a long while...but loving seeing everyone travelling again!! I am not sure if this is your most recent TR or if I'm missing one...if I'm following right on FB I think you are in Orlando again...so looking forward to reading about that if you are!!

I’m a little late on these replies because I just saw these. :rotfl:
That's my airport as well. Small world!
That’s crazy that so many of us are from here! I do like that our airport isn’t usually too busy but the “art” makes me laugh.
Wonderful review with great pics! Thanks!!
Thanks for following along!
Hellooo! Trying to get caught up with all the DisPeeps, I've been MIA a long while...but loving seeing everyone travelling again!! I am not sure if this is your most recent TR or if I'm missing one...if I'm following right on FB I think you are in Orlando again...so looking forward to reading about that if you are!!
Hey there! :wave2: At the time yes! I think I was on our HHN trip when you left this comment.

Raeven, I know it’s been a while since this TR, but thank you for sharing. Looks like a lovely trip. My wife and I adore Sanaa and agree with you about the sauces/dips that accompany the bread service. We’ve discovered that you can ask to customize the dip offerings. We ask for double/triple the ones we like and leave off the ones we don’t like… that way there is no waste. Hope you get to go back soon and customize your bread service!

Raeven, I know it’s been a while since this TR, but thank you for sharing. Looks like a lovely trip. My wife and I adore Sanaa and agree with you about the sauces/dips that accompany the bread service. We’ve discovered that you can ask to customize the dip offerings. We ask for double/triple the ones we like and leave off the ones we don’t like… that way there is no waste. Hope you get to go back soon and customize your bread service!
Thanks for reading! I’ll have to try that next time we go! That’s a much better option.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter