• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Buses at Xmas for Art of Animation - should I rent a car?

deedubb

Always Grumpy, except when at Disney!
First Christmas trip and I've read that the crowds can be horrendous. Not worried about the crowds at the park, but I don't want to stand in line for an hour for a bus. Can anyone who has been to AoA over Christmas (and I mean right on Christmas, not late Nov or early Dec) share their experience? If the waiting time for buses is crazy, I would rather just rent a car and drive. Thanks.

We've gone to DW Christmas week the past three years. I find buses at all resorts more frequent then normal. They know there will be crowds so they must have extra buses this week. I've waited longer for buses during slower seasons than Christmas week.

I've not stayed at AofA over Christmas, but I did stay at Pop over Christmas twice. Sometimes we walked over to AofA to grab a bite to eat and use their buses. No problems at all. :goodvibes

You can have bus problems any time at any resort when it has high occupancy (which at WDW is often) but I agree that driving during that holiday time can be highly stressful. If you are early birds I would just get out there way early and be ready to enter park at rope drop and if you aren't then I would sleep, grab breakfast and then head to parks after rush. Park closing - it's a cluster no matter which park, which hotel because it all depends on how transportation handles it.

You can have bus problems any time at any resort when it has high occupancy (which at WDW is often) but I agree that driving during that holiday time can be highly stressful. If you are early birds I would just get out there way early and be ready to enter park at rope drop and if you aren't then I would sleep, grab breakfast and then head to parks after rush. Park closing - it's a cluster no matter which park, which hotel because it all depends on how transportation handles it.

As Hopperfan stated, it's getting back to the hotel room full tree park which will be a drag. Even through there's plenty of extra buses, the wait takes a long time. I think we waited about 2 hours leaving MK on New Year's Eve after the parks closed.

As Hopperfan stated, it's getting back to the hotel room full tree park which will be a drag. Even through there's plenty of extra buses, the wait takes a long time. I think we waited about 2 hours leaving MK on New Year's Eve after the parks closed.
But from MK, getting back to the TTC, and getting OUT of the TTC, is not any better, truly.

I strongly recommend not pouring out of the park at close with the masses, making sure to get a drink or something before they start shutting those down, and be ready to chill.

That's my concern. I'd rather drive if that's the case. We would still have to wait for the ferry and tram, but my daughter would not be able to wait for a bus for that long. We usually leave right after Wishes, as she is too tired to close out the park. I suspect it would be a lot better if we shopped or had a snack to waste a half hour or so after Wishes before leaving, but maybe it wouldn't make any difference with the crowds at Christmas.

All you have to do is see the video and photos of cars arriving at the MK on Christmas Day and you will choose the bus over that. You could be stuck in line when they close the parking lot. Take the bus. And prepare to wait at times. You will be using every bit of patience you have that day. At least if you are on the bus when they close the MK they will direct the bus to an open park.

We would still have to wait for the ferry and tram

The tram wait can be as long as the bus wait. So you'd just be dragging out the waiting. As @Deb & Bill says, you could be stuck in line for the TTC when they close it. You'll be stuck in line as they let people in to the TTC. All of campus is gridlock most of the day.

You can't approach driving at Christmas like you would driving at other times, where it may seem "well, the ferry has large capacity, and I could always walk once at TTC, then it's fine." There is nothing that is fine about the TTC at Christmas, and at least the Disney buses get a priority lane on much of campus.

Thanks for chiming in everyone. Sounds like the bus is the way to go. I might not even rent a car now and just skip the Walmart trip for snacks.

We have stayed at AOA the past two Christmas holidays. They tend to send two buses in a row many times if there is a crowd at the resort lined up. After seeing the masses headed to the parking lot monorail at Magic Kingdom - oh my - people standing in line all the way out the ramp towards the park entrance- I would not drive!
On the bus with the holiday traffic be prepared for a lot of stop and go motion and holding on. One family had a little girl who was car sick a lot but they were prepared with a ziploc bag. She was so miserable with the swaying of the bus stopping in the heavy traffic. It did take us a lot longer to get to the parks that week but that was for everyone in traffic! Allow extra time for plans.
And remember you can see the fireworks near the bridge at night from the nearby park - that was cool walking back to the hotel room watching fireworks!
We have really enjoyed our stays at AOA for Christmas & New Years!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter