Burnt plastic smell in dishwasher

Sweetpancake

Mouseketeer
One of my pyrex lids fell through the rack in our dishwasher and melted onto the element at the bottom. We removed the melted lid and there doesn't appear to be any plastic left on the element. But even after running the dishwasher several times with detergent and another time with baking soda and vinegar and it smells AWFUL. How on earth do I get rid of this?? Suggestions please!

One of my pyrex lids fell through the rack in our dishwasher and melted onto the element at the bottom. We removed the melted lid and there doesn't appear to be any plastic left on the element. But even after running the dishwasher several times with detergent and another time with baking soda and vinegar and it smells AWFUL. How on earth do I get rid of this?? Suggestions please!
It's probably baked pretty well into the element. So much so that the residue probably is the same color/texture of the element. Only time and use will lessen it. Eventually it'll dissipate. I think the vinegar would dry out the particles/element so much that it burns again.

How old is the dishwasher? It is time (or almost time) for a new one?

You can buy a product that's made specifically as a dishwasher cleaner. Cascade makes one, Finish makes one, and there are a few other brands. Or you could try running it empty with bleach on the hottest setting, but don't use bleach if it's stainless steel.

Thanks for all of the suggestions everyone. It seems to be getting a bit better. I've scrubbed the element as suggested and also ran it again with baking soda and vinegar.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter