Bumper for crib with solid back??

This is one of the most illogical arguments I have ever heard. Just because you did something and "your kids are fine" doesn't mean what you did was safe or right! Many laws/rules/recommendations have changed over the years due to DEATHS. That is usually what is the cause of a change. This is why babies are now in carseats (and much longer for that matter), that is why we have seat belt laws, etc. There have been NUMEROUS babies dying from suffocation due to bumpers! Doctors are also trying to determine if SIDS is linked to bumpers due to a lack or decrease of airflow around the baby. Just as carseat rules/regulations have changed to help prevent unnecessary death over the last few years, so has the rules about bumpers. It drives me nuts when people use the argument that "I did X and my kid is fine, so don't listen to the research and advise of doctors!"
You must have quoted the wrong person. The person you quoted was actually agreeing that bumpers are not necessary and better to follow today's warnings.

You must have quoted the wrong person. The person you quoted was actually agreeing that bumpers are not necessary and better to follow today's warnings.

Crap, I clicked the wrong one and will edit!!! Thanks :-)

This response is beyond ridiculous. Are you seriously insinuating that she is planning to get a crib bumper so that she can just throw the baby in a crib all day instead of taking care of it?!! The responses in general are crazy, everyone acts like if she gets a bumper she is threatening her childs life just for vanity!! She already said she wanted advice on what bumper not a discussion on whether she should get a bumper or not. I bet if she was planning to put the bumper on a drop side crib people would already be calling CPS on her! Everything in life has a small risk to it, if you do enough research you can find that a small number of babies have been killed by virtually any item out there. To the OP I have no advice on how to make a bumper work on a crib with a flat back but I can tell you I have a 9 & 10 year old who are alive and well despite sleeping in a drop side crib with a bumper. Also I did put them in there sometimes to play quietly alone! I guess it's a wonder that they are alive and seemingly well adjusted given the death wish I had on them as infants :rotfl:

Gosh darn that American Academy of Pediatics...always doing the studies and trying to keep babies and kids safer. Always trying to ruin a cute nursery.

Spend your money on blanket sleepers instead. Blankets and pillows are not allowed either.

This response is beyond ridiculous. Are you seriously insinuating that she is planning to get a crib bumper so that she can just throw the baby in a crib all day instead of taking care of it?!! The responses in general are crazy, everyone acts like if she gets a bumper she is threatening her childs life just for vanity!! She already said she wanted advice on what bumper not a discussion on whether she should get a bumper or not. I bet if she was planning to put the bumper on a drop side crib people would already be calling CPS on her! Everything in life has a small risk to it, if you do enough research you can find that a small number of babies have been killed by virtually any item out there. To the OP I have no advice on how to make a bumper work on a crib with a flat back but I can tell you I have a 9 & 10 year old who are alive and well despite sleeping in a drop side crib with a bumper. Also I did put them in there sometimes to play quietly alone! I guess it's a wonder that they are alive and seemingly well adjusted given the death wish I had on them as infants :rotfl:
rude, rude and rude.....but thank you for calling me ridiculous - ha, I was not insuating she would do anything, but there is no need for a bumper unless your child plans on spending the day in the crib - most moms have a monitor to hear issues regardless. amazingly, drop side cribs aren't made anymore, hmmmmmm.....
lol, it is a wonder! :lmao:

I am totally amazed at how many ppl just ignored OP's request to not debate whether or not she should use the bumper and went ahead and felt the need to give your advice and opinion anyway.

In a case like that when the OP asks for no debate I think if you feel the need to debate you should back out of that thread on move on to other ones.

But of course everyone feels their own opinion is THE OPINION and goes right on with it.

If bumpers are important to you, what about those "wonder bumpers" that wrap around each individual crib bar? They claim they are safer and there wouldn't be an issue with the back.

I am totally amazed at how many ppl just ignored OP's request to not debate whether or not she should use the bumper and went ahead and felt the need to give your advice and opinion anyway.

In a case like that when the OP asks for no debate I think if you feel the need to debate you should back out of that thread on move on to other ones.

But of course everyone feels their own opinion is THE OPINION and goes right on with it.

So, just because she asked for no debate on something that could potentially be dangerous to her baby, we should keep our mouths (or fingers) silent? That's silly. No one berated her or called names. It was simply said that while bumpers are cute, they are a potential hazard. I think we would be remiss if we didn't point out that bumpers are unnecessary and can be fatal.

If the OP had said "I need to figure out how to put this space heater close to the crib to keep baby warm. No debate, I really want this space heater as close as possible", wold you honestly not try and tell this mother that it is a bad idea?

No one is saying that.

However, bumpers are not safe. They are not recommended for use because other children have been injured or died. Just because your children are OK doesn't change the fact that other children were hurt. There are deaths that have been termed strangulation, asphyxiation, or choking because of them. This is because the baby has been directly up against a bumper - or choked on the strings. Older babies are at risk too. Please don't use a bumper. They are not safe.

This is a super old thread, but I'm just wondering if OP found a solution. I'm having the same issue with my solid sided crib.

I didn't see anything in the original post about her wanting the crib to look "cute", but did note a lot of people commenting and assuming that was why she wanted to use them...

I NEED to use crib bumpers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter