Bumped from VWL upon checkin and given Lodge rooms?

Actually, a charity was raising money for a family with a sick child. DH and I gave a one-week stay using our DVC points to the charity to raffle to help them raise money. The raffle winners were not the people with the sick child, but yes it was their first trip. The winner is not a local person, which is why they could have looked like renters to DVC. As it turns out, the winner was here from out of town working on New Orleans hurricane recovery and just happened to buy a raffle ticket. Which is why DVC shouldn't play a guessing game when it comes to renters if they are.

Okay, I misread your post. We do a lot with St Jude and I actually have done a couple of events for Make a Wish.....this really upset me thinking they did this to a sick child. You're right, DVC shouldn't play a guessing game, but aren't you allowed to let someone else use your points? You may not get the satisfaction you want, but I would push this as far as I could. Good luck!

To me the only appropriate compensation would be re-booking in an acceptable DVC villa...at a different resort, if necessary. (Which would be tough if the guests really had their heart set on VWL.)

Two hotel rooms -- no matter how nice -- would not be enough for our family. It's not just a matter of value; it's a whole different character of accommodation. I didn't buy an interest in hotel rooms.

It's pretty hard for me to understand how an owner -- or an owner's guest -- could be bounced out of a confirmed ressie due to overbooking. I can see "walking" a cash guest, but not an owner.
At the very least, the people should have been given the choice of a different DVC resort with a similar villa, or the hotel rooms if the guests would prefer to stay at the WL. They shouldn't assume where the guests would prefer.

lulu71 did you get an email back yet? I would also ask why the ressies was canceled on the check in day and the points put in holding, then the points taken out two days later. If this all revolves around, dvc treating this like a rental (which that is very ify, a fine line, you donated the week for a fund raiser, even though the family that won had to pay for the raffle ticket, money was exchange for the ticket wether you receive a cent or not) then you were singled out as renting out your points a numeras times, even though the ressies were in your relatives names. I would make sure dvc knows that you do not rent out your points, but very generous with your points, so then next time your relatives have a ressie that it doesnt get canceled.

now that i read the whole story, that the ressie was canceled the day of check in, it sounds more like the ressie was canceled after you contacted MS to add the family to the ressie and in the meantime VWL became unavailable and then disney had to find your family a room and WL rooms were all they had available.

Personally, I would not have taken the two rooms as exchange, unless the disney wanted to give me concerige level. I was always told by my guide, the reason why the points are so high for non DVC resort is because DVC doesnt want you stay in a non dvc resort/room and not have the comforts of home, dvc wants you to have all the comforts of HOME in the dvc resorts/room. That is one of DVC big promotions "Welcome Home".

We couldn't take 2 rooms as an exchange, unless my husband and I stayed separately. We are staying at VWL the end of the month with our 4 and 2 yr olds.

This is pretty concerning to me....we are booking 2 studios next October before our cruise at SSR. One for me, DH, and our 2 boys. The other for my mom, and our 2 girls, who conceivably could be considered "guests".

As someone said, where would they move them in that situation??

We will be staying 1 night and then taking a van to the port and I would certainly have my panties in a bunch if 2 of my kids and my mom were put at another resort because of overbooking. I would think they would bump a cash guest who booked through CRO before a DVC reservation. :confused3

lulu71 did you get an email back yet? I would also ask why the ressies was canceled on the check in day and the points put in holding, then the points taken out two days later. If this all revolves around, dvc treating this like a rental (which that is very ify, a fine line, you donated the week for a fund raiser, even though the family that won had to pay for the raffle ticket, money was exchange for the ticket wether you receive a cent or not) then you were singled out as renting out your points a numeras times, even though the ressies were in your relatives names. I would make sure dvc knows that you do not rent out your points, but very generous with your points, so then next time your relatives have a ressie that it doesnt get canceled.

Nothing yet. I am worried about our February 2008 reservation where we have another big family and friends trip planned and once again, I have rooms booked for others. The weird thing is, wouldn't an owner who rents out their points typically not be there at the same time as their renters? With the exception of this case and the one time 4 years ago when we did rent our points, we are always there at the same time as our guests and if they wanted to check dining reservations, they could see that we are eating with our guests too.

now that i read the whole story, that the ressie was canceled the day of check in, it sounds more like the ressie was canceled after you contacted MS to add the family to the ressie and in the meantime VWL became unavailable and then disney had to find your family a room and WL rooms were all they had available.

Actually, I made the reservation in their name to start with at the 7 month window back in March.

The offered accommodation and credit would be fine with me - IF I also got my points back (and extended if they were in danger of expiring).

Well, I just got an early Christmas lump of coal from Disney. We were scheduled to start a six-night stay at VWL on 12/15, and member services (Maggie) called to tell me that due to renovations, I was being bumped to either SSR or OKW. After expressing some of my frustrations, I was then offered $120 in Disney Dollars, which I felt to be still underwhelming, to which I was given the party line about how all the resorts are equal, how some people will only stay at OKW, etc. I said that they were giving me no choice but to write a letter to Jim Lewis, to which they replied that they would have to get back to me. For our first trip home, this is certainly starting off disappointingly.

Well, I just got an early Christmas lump of coal from Disney. We were scheduled to start a six-night stay at VWL on 12/15, and member services (Maggie) called to tell me that due to renovations, I was being bumped to either SSR or OKW. After expressing some of my frustrations, I was then offered $120 in Disney Dollars, which I felt to be still underwhelming, to which I was given the party line about how all the resorts are equal, how some people will only stay at OKW, etc. I said that they were giving me no choice but to write a letter to Jim Lewis, to which they replied that they would have to get back to me. For our first trip home, this is certainly starting off disappointingly.

:scared1: That is so not good. Why oh why did they pick December to do renovations at VWL? I am flabergasted.

I really hope that this all works out for you. As someone who bought at VWL for the ability to book for December, I would be very upset, to say the least. Please let us know how this all works out.

PS I have to ask, is this your home resort and did you book at 11 months? Not that it matters, when you look forward to something, Disney dollars just don't cut it.

:

PS I have to ask, is this your home resort and did you book at 11 months? Not that it matters, when you look forward to something, Disney dollars just don't cut it.

Thanks for your empathy. I did book it 11 months out, day-by-day, and VWL is my home resort. It's amazing to me that they wouldn't realize the impact of such a displacement would have, especially during the holidays.

Well, I just got an early Christmas lump of coal from Disney. We were scheduled to start a six-night stay at VWL on 12/15, and member services (Maggie) called to tell me that due to renovations, I was being bumped to either SSR or OKW.

I am sorry to hear that. The renovations at VWL must be more extensive than planned.

FWIW I never could get in to VWL my first trip home last December. I ended up staying at SSR (my real home) and loving every minute of it. They had two trees in the lobby (one for grownups and a smaller one for the kids). We'd get up early, go get our hot chocolate refills (it was cold) and take a stroll around the resort.

We had our car and weren't used to the busses (we always stayed offsite) so drove most everywhere. We often stopped off at DTD to go Christmas shopping. (Used our AP discount at World of Disney and bought everything we wanted in the parks for 10% less.) We went over to Raglan Road for dinner one night. Another we went to the AMC (using our membership cards from home for free popcorn on Wednesdays) and saw Nightmare Before Christmas in 3D. Everything in DTD was all decorated, including Santa's wonderland where he held court with his elves.

We did go to VWL for lunch at WCC, but I hate to admit I wasn't as impressed as I expected. It was just too cold to enjoy more than the lobby and that is a replica of AKV. The only difference was the trimmings on the trees (African animal woodcuts vs. Americana woodsy ornaments). I think I prefer VWL in the warmer Spring or Fall months.

I can understand your disappointment about not being able to stay at your home resort. Especially when it is your FIRST trip and you are coming so far!

That being said, Both SSR and OKW are wonderful resorts, and while not a boat ride away from MK, they have excellent transportation. Just go with the idea that you are going to LOVE wherever they put you, and you'll have a great time. It's WDW, after all! We would feel the same way if we ended up getting bumped to BWV, but we'd have a great time anyway. You will undoubtably find things you like about either of the other resorts, and you will have other opportunities to stay at your VWL home in the future. I know it's a big disappointment now, but don't let it ruin your attitude on the trip. Take the Disney dollars (they need to give you more though), and use them to have a nice meal at Artist Point at Wilderness Lodge. You'll get to experience the decorations and drool over the next time you can stay there, when the rooms will be all freshly renovated.

Thanks for your empathy. I did book it 11 months out, day-by-day, and VWL is my home resort. It's amazing to me that they wouldn't realize the impact of such a displacement would have, especially during the holidays.

Oh my. The empathy just went up 200%. This could easily happen to us as we are going when you leave. I was thinking about scenarios of what I would do if it were me. Other than imploding, I am not sure what I would do.

I really hope they realize what they are doing. I wonder if they are asking those who do not own there and did not call day by day at 11 months out if they would be willing to move?:confused3

Jim Lewis, I think we have a problem.

Again, I really really hope this works out for you. Us really.:cloud9:

Oh no! That is horrible news, especially with the update that you booked day-by-day at 11 months. I spoke with Maggie too and she couldn't care less if I contacted Jim Lewis or not, just as long as I emailed that member satisfaction team (still haven't heard a work back from them either)!

Thanks again, everyone, for your supportive comments. Another thing that made me pretty angry was that Maggie said they could not offer hotel accommodations because everything was sold out; however, when I checked online, virtually all the hotels had available rooms. Since OKW is known to be a quiet resort, and we're kind of a loud family (we have 3 and 6 year olds), I don't want to have to worry about disturbing the peace! Thanks again, and I'll keep you posted.

you won't - the 2-bedroom at OKW is more than big enough. so don't even be concerned about anyone hearing your kids.

when she calls back might mention that you booked day by day as early as you could.

she should be finding someone to move that booked alot later than you!!!

okay service is going DOWN.:sad2:

Things are looking up. Maggie called to say that she found volunteers who were willing to move, as "obviously we can't move the entire resort." While I'm a little worried about what the renovations will mean to those of us staying at the resort, if they are truly that extensive, I'm hugely relieved at this resolution and hope no more shoes will drop! Thanks again for the supportive statements; they definitely helped my resolve to fight this through to a fair conclusion.

Well that is good news.

It can never be as bad as a TS we stayed in last Sept in TN.

Right across a narrow road in fron of our building they were doing construction on new buildings from 7a to 7p and behind us was an active (as in real-live dynamite) quarry.
Now THAT was a noisey resort. Hopefully VWL will not be as bad as that. Keep us aprised, glad things are looking up!

Now, I am wondering if they are just short of rooms and used the rooms at WL for a back up.:confused: Of course, there is nothing for Dec. I am so sorry for the cancellation of the Dec trip. I have one for the same time frame at BCV's. I honestly don't know what I would do at this point if I received that phone call. I booked at the 11 month, day by day too.
When I stayed at WL in May, the CM told us they were staying full since the work at CR had started.

Things are looking up. Maggie called to say that she found volunteers who were willing to move, as "obviously we can't move the entire resort." While I'm a little worried about what the renovations will mean to those of us staying at the resort, if they are truly that extensive, I'm hugely relieved at this resolution and hope no more shoes will drop! Thanks again for the supportive statements; they definitely helped my resolve to fight this through to a fair conclusion.

I am so relieved to hear this!:thumbsup2

hey, I'm checking into VWL on the 15th.

cool, maybe I can get some Disney dollars.

facebook twitter