Buffet questions

Mazz519

DIS Veteran
Might be a stupid question but why are all the buffet prices quoted at 35.00 -59.00 for adults and 25.00-34.99 for kids. I never understood this, how much would a adult buffet cost at say Ohana, Chef Mickeys or Tusker House... all these prices are listed for their dinner menus... TIA

Might be a stupid question but why are all the buffet prices quoted at 35.00 -59.00 for adults and 25.00-34.99 for kids. I never understood this, how much would a adult buffet cost at say Ohana, Chef Mickeys or Tusker House... all these prices are listed for their dinner menus... TIA
There’s s sticky at the beginning of the Restaurant forum that posts the prices based upon dates/time of year. That should help you out.

Once upon a time prices were seasonal, but that is no longer true unless you're eating a special Thanksgiving Day or Christmas Day meal.

I have no idea WHY Disney can't put the actual price of the buffet on their website, but they have chosen not to. In my opinion, it's just laziness.

However, here is a current list of buffet prices: https://www.easywdw.com/easy/blog/d...meals-shows-and-all-you-care-to-eat-platters/
(The sticky at the top of the restaurant forum needs an update, and will be getting one in mid April when the OP gets back from vacation.)

Disney has chosen to have four "buckets" on their web site, and every restaurant gets put into one of them: under $15 (typically counter service), $15-$35 (entry-level table service), $35-$60 (buffets and other upscale table service), and over $60 (signatures, Viki & Al's)
This has caused unending confusion here for years, and I'm sure any other forum that talks about WDW dining.
For a la carte places, these designations can be almost meaningless, since they don't tell us what it assumes about your order.

Disney has chosen to have four "buckets" on their web site, and every restaurant gets put into one of them: under $15 (typically counter service), $15-$35 (entry-level table service), $35-$60 (buffets and other upscale table service), and over $60 (signatures, Viki & Al's)
This has caused unending confusion here for years, and I'm sure any other forum that talks about WDW dining.
For a la carte places, these designations can be almost meaningless, since they don't tell us what it assumes about your order.

True, BUT when you look at the actual menu of any a la carte place, it does give you the price of each individual item. Why can't they put the price of each buffet on the MENU page? It doesn't make any sense.

I think that the reason is three fold...

1) First off the price are often reflected due to the time of year and the menu choices such as Christmas, Thanksgiving, Easter, Mother's Day and other national holidays and whats happening in the parks, special festivals, Disney runs, and other things, as well school related breaks....

2) Seasonal items they do change the menu up some what during the different season, so this can add to the cost sliding up and down...

3) More visitors higher prices - Less busy times a lower price to insure that the restaurants are full... Basic supply and demand...

I think that the reason is three fold...

1) First off the price are often reflected due to the time of year and the menu choices such as Christmas, Thanksgiving, Easter, Mother's Day and other national holidays and whats happening in the parks, special festivals, Disney runs, and other things, as well school related breaks....

2) Seasonal items they do change the menu up some what during the different season, so this can add to the cost sliding up and down...

3) More visitors higher prices - Less busy times a lower price to insure that the restaurants are full... Basic supply and demand...

The only thing in your list that actually happens is the Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day special meals. There is no other seasonal pricing to buffets and AYCTE meals.

The only other time prices are different are when they are in conjunction with an event package such as F! dining package, ROL dining package, Candlelight Processional dining package. ALL of these have the prices clearly laid out even on Disney's website.

There is no apparent reason why Disney doesn't put the actual buffet price on the menu.

True, BUT when you look at the actual menu of any a la carte place, it does give you the price of each individual item. Why can't they put the price of each buffet on the MENU page? It doesn't make any sense.
Yup. I was just commenting on the confusion that this "four buckets" approach has caused for years and years for so many who see those and don't dig further. And then those who attempt to help with suggestions like "The lower one is probably the children's price, and the higher one is adults."

A la carte prices can change without notice, and they're willing to publish them despite that. So there's not an obvious reason why the all-you-can-eat locations do not.

The only thing in your list that actually happens is the Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day special meals. There is no other seasonal pricing to buffets and AYCTE meals.

The only other time prices are different are when they are in conjunction with an event package such as F! dining package, ROL dining package, Candlelight Processional dining package. ALL of these have the prices clearly laid out even on Disney's website.

There is no apparent reason why Disney doesn't put the actual buffet price on the menu.

With seasonal menu planning, the cost factor plays into the seasonal food, things like fruit and veggie's that are not being locally grown due to the season here in the states, and has to be brought in from other countries. Everyone wants a variety of fruit, such as berries, they are not grown in the US year around, so they have to come from somewhere as guest expect them.... Normally on a buffet, there is always chicken, beef, pork and some type of seafood whether its fish, shrimp, or a variety of option like in a seafood alfredo pasta dish... If there has been a issue with livestock then they have to look else where to get the products.. Whether it is at the farm and ranch level, natural disasters, such as flooding, drought, disease, whole crops can be wiped out in a couple of hours... or recalls due to tainted food during processing... they still have to fill the buffet, as guest expect a certain level of service.... so it just seems that the price would fluctuate...

As well the price points cover all three meal times ( I think) , breakfast at the buffet would hit the lower end, lunch hitting somewhere in the middle and dinner on the higher end..

Trying to hit a little something for everyone and create new and interesting menu offerings is a huge task and then add in all the different diets lifestyle then include lots of people like me that has food allergy.... to me seems like a daunting task. So I'm okay with the price point spread...

If you are budgeting, then just go with the higher cost for practical purpose's, then if you pay less then you will be happily surprised...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter