budget rental car

TiggerStac

<font color=darkorchid>I'm going to join in on thi
I am thinking about renting a car before/after our trip instead of transfers. I can get a taurus to cover our day before (we are staying at the poly) and bring us to the port for a great rate. And then heading back would be great to get one, as our flight isn't til 2:30, so we could make some stops along the way on the way back. It is about $100 cheaper than DCL transfers would be for the 3 of us.

My question is how far away from the port is Budget?? How frequently are the shuttles.

Thanks!!

TiggerStac said:
I am thinking about renting a car before/after our trip instead of transfers. I can get a taurus to cover our day before (we are staying at the poly) and bring us to the port for a great rate. And then heading back would be great to get one, as our flight isn't til 2:30, so we could make some stops along the way on the way back. It is about $100 cheaper than DCL transfers would be for the 3 of us.

My question is how far away from the port is Budget?? How frequently are the shuttles.

Thanks!!

The Budget office is only about five minutes from the port, and the Budget shuttles run very frequently between their office and the port.

We've used Budget and it worked out fine. They are not that far from the port and the shuttles run frequently.

Our only issue with them is that they can tend to be slow if too many customers are in the office. They usually only have one counter person (at least when we were there - about 4 or 5 times already) and I don't believe they have the fastbreak counter (at least I never seen it).

We prefer to go with Avis on the back end because they let you do Avis Preferred there and it goes pretty quick. Plus, they have at least 2 people behind the counter everytime we've been there. If you have an entertainment book, that AWD number is usually the cheapest I've found for them.

Don't get me wrong, Budget is fine, I just hate waiting in line (especially when renters don't know what they want - it isn't always the workers' problem). We actually may be using them for our January '07 cruise (to port only). You can't beat their rates. You can, however, sometimes find Avis to be very competitive to them.

Budget may be 5 minutes from port and that is only if you get caught at the street light. The shuttles are excellent.

If you do choose budget and you have more than one adult traveling in the party..drop your entire party and all the luggage at the port and then have one person return the car to budget and hop the shuttle back. The adult and party you drop at the port can check in and be ready to go. The person dropping the car needs to keep his/her photo id with them to get back in, they go through security and upstairs to meet the rest of the party, all ready to board the ship. Very easy!

We've used....

... budget and Avis without fan fare or complaint. On our 1st sailing I recall another pax complaining about a slow PU from budget - but we had Avis and we showed up while they were waiting and got picked up before their shuttle showed up - so it might in fact have been a bad day for budget. But when we used Budget we had a good experience - and I distinctly recall they were very friendly and efficient.

NOW... having said that - we booked with Thrify! They evidently have a new office that is a bit further away then the Avis or Budget offices - but they had much lower rates for rentals. My family will be in Orlando this September for the 11 day Southern voyage and again in alte october for a weekend at WDW. As such we have 3 reservations - a minivan for $28xx a day over the weekend; and a minivan for $32xx a day from MCO to CC; and a full size Magnum or Taurus for $30 or so. These rates include taxes and may reflect a 10% on line dicsount using the discount code WMRT (I think that was the code). PLUS, when renting for PU in MCO and dropping at CC they have a $10 drop charge. But even so - Thrifty was significantly cheaper - especially given the vehicle class we're using.

So - being further away from the port then the others I expect slightly slower service to and fromthe terminal - but I don't see that as a huge issue.

I hope this helps a little.

Cheers! :surfweb:

Thrifty is actually right across the street from Avis.

You may want to do a search for Thrifty, however, because I remember some DISers not being too happy with them when picking up at the port (i.e. cars not available or not in the class rented). When we dropped at Avis in January, some people came from across the street to get cars at Avis due to problems at Thrifty. We had one reserved at Thrifty, but while at the Avis counter, reserved one for the back end of our cruise. So I can't speak first hand of how Thrifty was, but I do recall seeing their shuttles running to the port.

I use Thrifty often in other cities and they are great and you can't beat their prices. They also have a priority pickup line as well (I believe it is called "Blue Chip", but I may be wrong).

Besides WMRT, you can also use SAMS if you are a Sam's Club member.

we used budget without any difficulty at all. DH dropped us off at port with luggage and then he came back on the shuttle. That probably took him 15 min total turn around time. When we got off the ship we were one of the first ones to Budget and it probably took us 15 min at the max to get from port, rent the car, and back on the road. Simple.

We used Budget back in May without a problem. DH dropped me off at the terminal, then drove the car back to Budget. The shuttle dropped him off about 15-20 minutes later.

I plan on doing this again next May.

webray said:
Budget may be 5 minutes from port and that is only if you get caught at the street light. The shuttles are excellent.

If you do choose budget and you have more than one adult traveling in the party..drop your entire party and all the luggage at the port and then have one person return the car to budget and hop the shuttle back. The adult and party you drop at the port can check in and be ready to go. The person dropping the car needs to keep his/her photo id with them to get back in, they go through security and upstairs to meet the rest of the party, all ready to board the ship. Very easy!

Just need a clarification.......The adult that remains at the port can check everyone in including the person returning the car? If so, does the person returning the car leave their passport and use their license to get back into the terminal? or do they need their cruise docs to get back?

We used Budget on our last trip. We joined Fastbreak and were able to use it at the airport. That was great! Even received an upgrade with the welcome kit they sent.

The shuttle arrived around 8:05 am the day we got off the cruise. Unfortunately the PCan. Budget does not have a Fastbreak counter.

Our only problem was that the rental car did not have a full tank of gas, so I went in to let the counter person know. She said that she was entering it in the system immediately, but upon arrival at MCO the change was not in the system. Also, there was no note on our paperwork. The charge was almost $25. Thankfully the counter people at MCO took the charge off once I showed a receipt for putting some gas in the vehicle.

My advice...get everything in writing. :)

I use both Budget and Avis.

It just depends on who has the best rate. I find that the discount codes at flyertalk.com make a huge difference.

Ive never had a problem with either company, and it helps being enrolled in fastbreak/preferred.

I do like the Avis shuttle better though, much larger.

I already have my Feb 07 car reservations set up. One Budget, one Avis... just worked out cheaper that way.

Ive never found that Thrifty,Hertz, or National could beat the rates I got from Budget or Avis.

Dandy8 said:
Just need a clarification.......The adult that remains at the port can check everyone in including the person returning the car? If so, does the person returning the car leave their passport and use their license to get back into the terminal? or do they need their cruise docs to get back?

As was in the past (not sure if the same now) The person returning the car just needs his photo ID to get back into the terminal....he does not need his cruise documents. The person checking in at the terminal (me with the kids) will have his (hubby's) cruise documents and his passport or B.C. and then the person who dropped off the car has to show their face to the CM at the desk to receive their KTTW card....again, that is how it worked for us last year.

mmouse37 said:
As was in the past (not sure if the same now) The person returning the car just needs his photo ID to get back into the terminal....he does not need his cruise documents. The person checking in at the terminal (me with the kids) will have his (hubby's) cruise documents and his passport or B.C. and then the person who dropped off the car has to show their face to the CM at the desk to receive their KTTW card....again, that is how it worked for us last year.

This is how it was for us, except they actually gave me DH's KTTW card too. I don't know if she was supposed to do that without seeing him, but it sure was nice.

Would just like to add that you should keep your rental docs handy when returning the car. If you have them, they will just take the keys and you can leave, otherwise you have to wait in line and that can take a LONG time ;)

this will be my first time renting a car...we shall see how it all works out.... :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter