budget condo food?

stahshee

wheres my Camero?
We are staying in a condo and I am looking for some budget ideas for food. please help!!!

We stayed in a vacation home this summer and cooked in most nights. We did quite a few casseroles that we made the first day we were there and then were able to come home and just put them in the oven. Some of the ones we did were:

Lasagne
Mexican Shepard's Pie
Wicked Chicken
Chicken and Broccoli with penne pasta and alfredo sauce

We also did sub sandwiches, hot dogs, pizza, hamburgers. We made a big tossed salad, potatoe salad and pasta salad on the first day we were there too.

MEXICAN SHEPARD'S PIE

1.5 lbs ground beef (or turkey)
taco seasoning
1 can or package of corn
Shredded mexican cheese
Mashed potatoes (you can use instant, make enough for 6 servings. I make my own and use 6 medium size potatoes.

Brown ground beef and drain. Add taco seasoning and enough water ( a couple of tablespoons) to dissolve it. Layer in the bottom of a 2 qt casserolle. Layer in 1 cup of cheese, a can of corn (if you use a frozen package I thaw it first) and the potatoes on top. Bake at 350° for 30 min.

WICKED CHICKEN

1 pkg stove top stuffing
1 can (or package) of peas
2 small cans of mushrooms
3 cups of cooked chunk chicken
Cream of chicken soup
2/3 soup can of milk

Grease a 2 qt casserolle. Layer in enough dry stuffing mix to cover the bottom. Layer in peas, mushrooms and chicken. Mix the soup with the milk and pour over the top. Make the rest of the stuffing according to the directions and layer on top. Cook at 350° for 30 min.

I don't know if you're driving but if you are you can save a ton bringing frozen meals from home. I usuallly make a double batch of any casseroles I make and freeze the extra. If you're planning on using the crockpot you can freeze the casserole the crockpot liner lined with foil. In the morning just pop it back into your crockpot and you'll have a healthy homemade meal waiting for you when you get back! We have a 10 hour drive and I've found that if I pack our ice chest solidly with frozen stuff and don't open it, it will still be frozen by the time we check into our condo. I also brought sale-bought things from our pantry/freezer including things like butter, seasonings, frozen OJ, bagels, cereal, carrots, onions, etc.

Here's a few of our "at home" meals:

Chicken breasts stuffed w/feta and spinach*
Scalloped potatoes (one of those Country Crock sides)+
Carrots#

Jambalaya w/chicken and andouille*
Navy beans*
Spinach salad+ w/homemade salad dressing*
French bread+

Homemade mac-n-cheese*
Green peas(one of those steam in bag things from the freezer section)+
Carrots (l/o with added honey)#

Cheese tortellini#
Homeade spaghetti sauce w/meat*
Ceasar salad+
Garlic bread+

Vegetable beef soup*
Mixed salad+
Toasted rounds of french bread+

*Homemade items frozen and reheated at the condo
+Purchased on our grocery stop
#Sale-bought at home

We had yogurt, fruit, cereal, bagels and homemade banana muffins for breakfast. I packed sale-purchased ham, cheddar, swiss for lunches. We made a grocery stop for things like produce, bread, milk, etc. I even packed a couple of lunches to take with us into the parks.

I mainly did all of this because this was a super budget trip for us. However we found that we really enjoyed not depending on restaurants and food courts for our meals. Actually, this trip probably sold us on the whole stay/eat offsite scenario. We found it more relaxing than previous trips.

Jennifer

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter