• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Budget busting menu....help!

.. I'd plan on 500 servings of stuff, because even if it's not a mealtime thing, people snarf chips and dips like nobodys business - way more than they snarf tray-passed hors d'oeuvres.

I once did cheese fondue as one of like ... I want to say I had out at least 10 different things (and plenty of them) at a cocktail/dessert party for like 40 or so. I had planned a big pot of fondue, had lots of cheese and all for backup (though I'd only grated some beforehand, so that was fun), baguettes ready to go... I spent ALL NIGHT running back and forth making fondue. All night. Making fondue by the giant potful, running out fresh, hot, like quart at a time, with a baguette at a time and by the time I was checking on anything else 'is there more fondue?' I ran out of Kirsch is how much fondue I made. Give people something to dip, they'll stand there like motorized dipping robots.

I'm just saying. Make vats. Troughs. Do you have an unused kiddie pool?

This post made me laugh so much. Once I made a big plate of bacon for a brunch. I put it out, and when I turned around, my cheapskate BIL had put most of it on half a loaf of italian bread. Some foods just make people go crazy :lmao:

I didn't reveal what type of party this was because on another thread I posted about advice on another matter in my planning and it turned into a big nasty debate and I had to ask to have the thread closed. Somehow my asking a simple question turned into a debate over the morals of Boy Scouting. I have to say that it really hurt to have so many people question something that our family has been so dedicated to. And boy were they nasty! That's why I didn't think it was necessary to reveal that this is for my son's Eagle ceremony. I hope this thread doesn't go in that direction.

Should have mentioned that I have been shopping sales and using coupons for quite some time for this. Most of the items I have found buy one get one free, at least for the bulk of the appetizers.

Shrimp are already purchased. They had them on sale buy one get one free several weeks ago and I bought so that I have 12 lbs of shrimp. I also got the bacon from the grocery store when they were running a buy one get one free sale, so it ended up being 2 lbs for $4. Was thinking I was going to have to change from wrapped little smokies and meatballs because of the cost, but then yesterday our local grocery had both on buy one get one free :cool1::cool1::cool1: So I bought 4 packs of little smokies and got 4 free. Meatballs came in 3 lb bags for $9.99, so I bought 3 bags and got 3 free.

We have a tiny little general store right by our house and I will be getting the supplies for the meat and cheese tray from there. They suggested 4 lbs of smoked turkey, roast beef, and honey roasted ham. They also suggested 3 lbs of white american cheese and 2 lbs of swiss. They gave me a price of $60.00 for all of it. All I have to do is roll it up and put it on a tray. We buy all of our provisions for hoagie sales there, so they are very good to us.

Crescent rolls were purchased at $1.19/can minus the coupon for $1.00 off 3 cans so that made them $11.25 for 12 cans.

I'm using my homemade pasta sauce for the meatballs, so there's no additional expense there.

Slider-sized sandwich rolls we are getting from our local "budget bakery". The plant that makes Sunbeam bread is in the town about 13 miles from our house. They have a bakery where they bring all the stuff that is left over after the days deliveries have been made - (NOT day old stuff - just what they have made too much of). They always have rolls. I was in there on Saturday morning and talked with the staff and they said they would put back for me whatever I needed on that Friday. Rolls will be $.85 per package of 16.

Shrimp - 12 lbs..................$30.00
Bacon - 6 lbs...................$12.00
Little Smokies - 8 lbs...........$20.00
Meatballs - 18 lbs...............$30.00
Meat/cheese trays..............$60.00
Crescent rolls - 12 pks.........$11.25
Sandwich rolls - 12 doz........$10.20
Veggie trays - ?????............$?????
Pasta Salad.......................$20.00 ???

We have decided not to do pierogies and will instead make pasta salad. Fantastic idea and I love pasta salad!

My husbands grandmother is making a homemade fruit salad and donating all the ingredients. LOVE fresh fruit!

I also have someone who is making (donating) a big pot of buffalo chicken dip with chips.

All the baking supplies are things I have on hand. I do a lot of baking so I'm always very well stocked. I didn't include the cupcakes in the cost estimate of $200.00. I've decided not to do the mini cheesecakes and brownies. My sister and I will just be doing the cupcake tower with 6 kinds of cupcakes.....if they can't find a kind they like from this list - they are just too picky! :lmao:
Orange creamsicle
Smores
choc/PB
Oreo Cookie
Vanilla Buttercream
Neapolitan

We will also have chips/pretzels.

I think based on the totals above, I can maybe budget $300.00 for everything. Am I overlooking something, or do you think I will be OK? I've watched closely at the last couple ceremonies we have been to, and this is way more food than has been served at the rest. They always end up with extras, so I think I will be ok. :confused3

This isn't the first large gathering I've done. For the past three years I've catered our Blue and Gold dinner for 200 people and done it for less than $3 per person and that menu is: Carved ham, roast beef, roasted red potatoes, green beans almondine, mac and cheese, applesauce, dinner rolls and coffee, iced tea and punch. You just have to be a really smart shopper and buy in bulk when things are on sale.

Paper products are donated by the troop and I have all the chafing dishes and buffet servers from previous events. My DH made a cupcake tower to hold 100 cupcakes......cost $2.00. He made it from wood that we already had at home. The overflow of cupcake will just go on small plates on the dessert table.

So.....let me know what you honestly think. What should I add?

I think your amounts are very low for 100 people. There will not be enough food. Also, did you budget for drinks at all? $300 will be better, but I really think I would need $500 at a minimum with the types of food you are suggesting.

I don't understand 12 lbs of shrimp for $30 :confused3

That other poster is right about the shrimp: people will load them on their plate and you will run out. A friend of ours got 30 lbs of shrimp for a picnic where he also served hot dogs, hamburgers, pasta, and apps. There were about 80-100 people there and the shrimp ran out before some people had them.

Maybe you could have someone serving them. 12 lbs of shrimp is nothing for 100 people.

Thanks. He worked really hard and I am so proud of him. Want to give him a nice reception for all the hard work he did.

I love the idea of pesto spread instead of mayonnaise or ranch dressing. Going to have to try those for lunch sometime this week! Sounds like a great way to dress them up for his ceremony!

I need to decide if I make them up ahead on a tray with the cold meats I have ordered, or do I put the ingredients out and let everyone build their own sandwiches using either the wraps or small rolls. Not sure which way to go with this.

I had thought about nachos, but my DS doesn't eat them and they were served at the last eagle scout ceremony. Trying to do something different so they don't think I'm copying them :rotfl2: I do love nachos, though.

I would put the tortillas out with the other breads and let people make their own. The pesto spread is reaaaaaallllly good, you will enjoy it if you like cream cheese and pesto. :) My DD12 loves it! :)
ETA~I use small fajita size tortillas when I do this and I cut them in half, it helps them go farther. :)

tyniknate, sounds Great! and I am also very impressed with your shopping skills! Great Buys! Never be afraid to share the accomplishments of your Eagle Scout! You deserve to celebrate the day. I would be very proud! You asked if you should make the slider sandwiches or leave meat on the platter. I know people are voting for for leave it on the platter, but I would make the sandwiches. You probably will need another pack or two rolls but it will stretch your meat purchase. My Aunt did a shower for me(granted not as many people) but she just did turkey and swiss, toasted in the oven so cheese melted with a little mustard sauce on them and everyone went crazy. It will really stretch your budget. You could do ham, turkey and cheese, and whatever else and really stretch the meat and cheese platter. If my 8 year old saw the meat platter she may be tempted to grab 5-6 pieces if no one was looking which would be too much. I get the vegatarian comments, as my daughter is vegatarian, but she would be happy as long as there is a veggie tray option and some cheese. You could leave some extra cheese and rolls out but overall, I think you can really stretch things making your own sliders. As far as the shrimp goes, I would not stress out about having enough for everybody . Maybe get a little more, but honestly in my family of 5, I am the only one that would try it and honestly if it was gone by the time I got there I would not mind, you have plenty of great choices. My wedding reception was for 120. We had stations pasta, prime rib, shrimp, chicken,etc. We had more than enough allocated of prime rib per person, but guess what got wiped out first. The prime rib, alot of people returning for 3rds before others even got there. Nothing I could do about it at that point and there were lots of other great choices.

Cupcake tower sounds amazing! So impressive! I would probably do 140 for 100 people. Everyone won't be going for seconds. Sounds great! I love to entertain and always over buy and I think you will do fine.

I'm a couple days late to this thread but if money was a concern, as well as ease of prep I would have done ziti (mostaciolli), a nice green salad and some great fresh bread. Would have been very doable under your budget, even with some munchies on the side or another vegetable.

What is cracking me up is all the people saying it isn't enough food without even knowing how much of each food you are making. :lmao: (I know you have since outlined how much of each thing you are making, I just read from the beginning)

While there has to be a certain amount of food to get people full, the fact of the matter is the greater the variety of foods you serve the more people will eat. It isn't as simple as for a party of 100 you need 30 lbs of lunch meat. If you have only one type of meat you will need less overall than if you have 3 different kinds. Does that make sense?

That being said with everything but the shrimp I would guess you are fine.

PS -- I am jealous of the price you can get the crescent rolls for (are you making pigs in a blanket?). Not to mention the awesome deals on the shrimp, meatballs, and bacon!!

As a parent of an Eagle Scout all I can say is CONGRATULATIONS!!!! to both your son and your family. I know what an accomplishment that is. It requires years of hard work and dedication from the scout as well as the family.

You must be so proud!

Having been to multiple ceremonies I can tell you that they all vary. But you know that. We had over 180 guests and scouts at my DS's. We have a large troop and a large family. After seeing many, from just appetizers to sit down meals we decided to keep it simple. We served cheese and crackers, veggie dip, chips, 2 Subway 6-foot subs, about three large sheet pizzas, a very large garden salad, cole slaw, potato salad, punch, water, coffee, tea and a full sheet cake along with any desserts scout parents contributed. I'm sure there is probably something I forgot. But you get the idea. Everything was prepared ahead of time which was awesome. Scout parents actually got to watch the ceremony and not the oven.:lmao: All they had to do was arrange the food on the buffet tables. If a parent asked if they could contribute. I said yes. I have always helped other families. I had more offers than I needed. Sometimes payback is a good thing.

Congrats again and take the time to enjoy the ceremony. You and your eagle scout deserve it.

When I worked at a grocery deli making meat & cheese trays, we usually advised customers they needed .25lbs of meat per guest. The estimate you have for 12lbs of meat for 100 people is quite low. I would do MINIMUM 16lbs, maybe 20.

Congratulations to your son & your family! The menu sounds wonderful I especially love the cupcake varieties--how clever. My suggestion is when a dish empties & there are no refills, just take it off the table & rearrange the display. They may regret that they didn't get to taste your delicious shrimp but they'll find something else to enjoy! Keep a few extra back in the kitchen for your son. I agree if someone offers to bring something for the reception graciously say yes & tell them you will return the favor sometime--I'll bet most may be returning you a favor already extended! The most important thing is for you to take time to enjoy the ceremony & spending time with your family!

Most of my family do not eat any type of seafood, so right there is 25 or more who won't touch the shrimp. I have 260 pieces. I guess I could pickup another bag to make 300 pieces, but I really don't want to have tons of leftovers. Guess I will pick one up just to be on the safe side.

We will be making a total of 180 cupcakes. The tower holds 100 and the cake plates I bought will hold the extras. Sorry if I didn't make that clear in my earlier post. 6 kinds times 30 of each.

My mom called last night and said she is adding trays of deviled eggs and pickles to the menu. They are a family favorite and always a hit.

I will be doing the cheese trays and meat trays on separate platters. Thanks for the reminder. I need to check and see if I have enough trays or if I need to go shopping.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. I really appreciate that you have taken the time to answer my questions. :hug:

What is cracking me up is all the people saying it isn't enough food without even knowing how much of each food you are making. :lmao: (I know you have since outlined how much of each thing you are making, I just read from the beginning)

While there has to be a certain amount of food to get people full, the fact of the matter is the greater the variety of foods you serve the more people will eat. It isn't as simple as for a party of 100 you need 30 lbs of lunch meat. If you have only one type of meat you will need less overall than if you have 3 different kinds. Does that make sense?

That being said with everything but the shrimp I would guess you are fine.

PS -- I am jealous of the price you can get the crescent rolls for (are you making pigs in a blanket?). Not to mention the awesome deals on the shrimp, meatballs, and bacon!!

Yep, pigs in a blanket. I have been lucky with my shopping. I knew that right after the Christmas holiday things would start to really go on sale, so we decided to wait until that time to have his ceremony. That part has done wonders for our budget!

I gave the general store the menu we were preparing and they came up with the amounts of meat and cheese. I think I will order an extra pound of each just to make sure I have enough. I also talked with someone who does catering last night and she suggested I not roll the meats. She said people take more when the meats are rolled because it seems like less meat than if you just stagger it out nicely on a meat tray. She said people will take 2 or 3 pieces of the same meat (and of each kind) if it is rolled as compared to 1 or 2 pieces when it isn't rolled because the pieces look so much bigger. Makes perfect sense to me.....So, staggering it is!

Here's the menu as it stands:

bacon wrapped shrimp
crescent wrapped little smokies
meatball sliders
meat and cheese trays with rolls/wraps
veggie and dip platters
pasta salad
deviled egg and pickle trays
buffalo chicken dip and tortilla chips
chips and pretzels
fresh fruit salad
cupcake tower
coffee, iced tea, bottled waters and soft drinks

Sounds delicious, OP! I think you will be fine food-wise. You have really thought things through by the sounds of it, and having been to other ceremonies, I am sure you have a pretty good idea of how much you will need. Congratulations to your son for his amazing accomplishment!

Sounds lovely. Congratulations to your son. It's quite an accomplishment.

I can always throw a few more dips on....I'm known for bringing all the appetizers to our supper club--that's my thing and some of my supper club friends have already offered to bring stuff--so I'll take them up on it!

We had a party for about 40 during the same time period (Sunday afternoon) before Christmas and we had so much food left it was crazy---but let's face it...buffalo chicken dip leftovers aren't a bad thing, right?

We did fondue at supper club one night and it does go fast....it's good stuff! I think I spent a lot of time melting cheese that night----so not a good "party" food for me if I want to come up for air! =)

I know you totally didn't ask for comments on your menu, so I hope I'm not offending (don't mean to, just trying to help, done a few parties that size!), just saying...

That doesn't sound like a lot, unless there's a ton of the dips and chips and veggies and fruit and such.

As someone posted earlier, you should assume like 10 apps per person for a general meal type thing, but yours is dip/chip type heavy so it's harder to guage but... I'd plan on 500 servings of stuff, because even if it's not a mealtime thing, people snarf chips and dips like nobodys business - way more than they snarf tray-passed hors d'oeuvres.

I once did cheese fondue as one of like ... I want to say I had out at least 10 different things (and plenty of them) at a cocktail/dessert party for like 40 or so. I had planned a big pot of fondue, had lots of cheese and all for backup (though I'd only grated some beforehand, so that was fun), baguettes ready to go... I spent ALL NIGHT running back and forth making fondue. All night. Making fondue by the giant potful, running out fresh, hot, like quart at a time, with a baguette at a time and by the time I was checking on anything else 'is there more fondue?' I ran out of Kirsch is how much fondue I made. Give people something to dip, they'll stand there like motorized dipping robots.

I'm just saying. Make vats. Troughs. Do you have an unused kiddie pool?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter