Budget Busted Ready to cry

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that if you should or shouldn't stop your tithe, really comes up to how you believe. If you believe the money isn't yours in the first place, and you believe you owe to God first before man, then you will think one way. If you believe you are giving the tithe because you can afford it at the time, you might think another way. Our church would never insist you pay a tithe..that is between God and you. It's not public knowledge in our church. On the other hand, Biblically, the tithe is 10% of your income..and volunteer work wouldn't take the place, but be in addition to it. If times get hard (for anyone, not just you) and you decide that you just can't tithe, then that is a decision between you and God, and your beliefs. I'm not sure that this part even belongs on the budget board, but maybe is better suited to the Community board, since it's really a religious question, if you should continue to tithe. No one here can tell you what to do in this situation (about tithing), since it's so personal between you and God.

Of course many here can (and have) given you some budget tips. I would suggest you do as you mentioned, and watch the other spending. You've had a few trips just to Disney so far this year..maybe that will be one of your cut backs for the rest of the year.

Tithing is really a believer's giving back to God, what belongs to Him. It's Bibical (and for those who believe), and of course if someone isn't following the Bible, it would not be important, and the first thing to go I think. If you are following what the Bible says and what your church believes, then it would be the last to go. Truly believing in God's promises, you know this too shall pass, and work out.

I posted here for budget help. I wasn't soliciting theology assistance and all responses have leaned towards that and I am grateful for them.

I feel that this is the appropriate place for this post and request it to not be moved.

Either sell the laptop or donate it. I don't see any reason why you couldn't consider the value of the laptop as part of your tithe. Of course I'm assuming it works and isn't so old as to be a dinosaur.

I've read that people consider the tithe to be money you contribute to charitable activities, not just to your church. Some people go so far as to reduce the 10% by some amount to reflect the portion of your taxes that goes toward charitable endeavors.

I'd stay away from any church that says 10% of your earnings MUST be contributed 100% TO THAT CHURCH regardless of your economic status.

I saw your recent post after I posted this. I know you're asking for budget help BUT it sounds like the single largest discretionary (or semi-discretionary) expenditure is your tithe which is more of a theological decision than a budget issue.

I think you and your spouse should discuss any expenditure that's more than $50-$100 over buget for that item.

Tithe is 10% towards any cause--church included. My church does ask yearly for you to commit if you can b/c they have to have a basis for the budget they develop (thousands of members and about 80 ministries--gotta provide for that somehow). BUT it isn't a contract of course, and my church will not hang me out to dry, so thank for the concerns.

The laptop is one month old and I have a garage full of stuff that I can sell before we have to get rid of the laptop. It is a no-interest 12 month loan--and since it was a stupid decision to purchase, we just eliminate the vacation fund and it is paid for, no problem. So instead of a $1400 vacation next year--we have a laptop. Stinks--but that is life and to me would be smarter than selling it.

I was a dark pit last night and wanted to hear about what other people in similar circumstances have done in their situations. We are at a bump in the road and I think it is time for me to "let go" and have faith that it will all work out.

If we find the need for a vacation to involve a hotel--we have a gargantuan amount of Hilton Honors points that we can utilize for this purpose. We have paid of our cc's just fine for almost 3 years. As with all home improvements, you have the "oops--didn't think of that, or oops--we have to do what?". In the long run, for the amount of improvement that we did--the amounts will be a small blip that are happen to be at present a big blunder on our radar at this moment in time.

I agree that you should continue the tithes.

The 1200 debt, while minor compared to some other families' debts, is costing you money. I'd do as much as possible to get rid of it in a hurry:

Have a yard sale (that benefits you by decluttering the house too).
Consider putting things of greater value on ebay where they'll bring a higher price. Some people buy at yard sales and re-sell on ebay; that might net you a greater profit than a part-time job (especially with your time constraints).
Slash your grocery budget to the bone -- it's only temporary. Cut out all sodas, etc. until the debt is gone.

Once that debt is gone, you'll feel in control again and you'll be able to get back to normal again.

Sorry it's dark for you now but God will continue to be faithful and supply all your needs.

On the saving money issue, as of late we have became totally addicted to the library. Yesterday I was able to get the 2005 edition of the Unofficial Guide to WDW which I was suprised to get such an updated version. Anyway we also checked out some DVDs several Disney movies available and fairly recent movies as well. It's better than the 2.99 at blockbuster if you get it back on time. The kids are loving all the books and they also have audio cds so we can check out some music. I thought this may be a cheap form of entertainment for your family during this time. You can also usually request certain books if you want and they will get them from other libraries.

Can't you suspend donating to your church until your financial situation changes? While I don't beleive in donating to the church for God's blessing in return I do understand that some people do and I respect every ones' beliefs. I'm sure He and your church will understand your situation and hopefully encourage you to stop donating until the time is right for you.

I think it is time for me to "let go" and have faith that it will all work out.

And there you go!

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to make this a theology question about tithing (Dictionary.com: A tenth part of one's annual income contributed voluntarily or due as a tax, especially for the support of the clergy or church). Many give tithes and offerings to our church, with the offerings being the extra we are giving up to run our church programs (always nice to have more than we need..to use for "special" activities), and the tithe being what already belongs to God. But it's not something our church demands (although to be on the board, it is expected that the Biblical rules be followed..and you know that before you run for office).

I do think once you mentioned specifically your tithe, that becomes a large part of the discussion (or at least it did), and usually this type of discussion isn't on the budget board, which is why I questioned it. It often brings arguments, but good for all of those posting here..it hasn't. I personally wouldn't want to take any responsibility for someone elses soul..by suggesting they don't follow the teachings they believe in, so that's a decision you would have to make on your own 'tween you and God.

Sounds like you have a plan to get back on track. Hope all goes well.

Thanks DMRick!

My question has been answered...and I think I know what I need to do--now if me and hubby can just agree :hyper: (but that can be saved for another thread).

Thanks everyone!

I sure know what you're talking about with renovation budget blow-outs, we just had a doozy while repairing and remodeling our upstairs bathroom! I did most of the work myself (minus plumbing---I'm cheap, but I'm not stupid :teeth: ) and we still found more stuff that needed to be dealt with, like plywood that needed replacing, ect. Boy were there some sleepless nights for me during that one. My neighbors teased us a little when they saw the garage sale, but you've gotta do what you've gotta do.

Still, God saw us through, and he'll see you through too. Good luck with everything Lisa, and keep us posted. I'm sure we'll all be sending prayers and good thoughts out there for you.

I, too, have to say don't stop tithing!!! I can't think of chapter and verse of the top of my head but the Bible does say that God will reward you 10,000 fold.

I am saying don't stop tithing from experience!!!! I found that I can't afford not to tithe. It is unexplainable as to how much God blesses when you follow Him.

Alright I am preparing myself for the flames on this one....

First of all, I am not religious and therefore my post will be a bit biased, however I can't see saying to my child "Hey sweety, were not going to disney this year because I'm contributing an astronomical percentage of my income to a non taxed organization so they can pay off their sexual abuse law suits!!"

I'm sorry but I would never, ever, ever go into debt over a church, a religious belief or if he so does exist, God himself. I would say cut down on the money you give to the church, believe me they are far from hurting financially. Then pay off your credit cards and maybe take some online courses at home, this way you will have the education necessary to make more then minimum wage if and when you should ever decide to work. If your finances are limited, apply for state and federal grants to assist you. I got all the way through college on grants and am only able to continue in graduate school, because of the scholarships I earned while an undergrad.

Good luck with whatever decision you make! :D

Originally posted by tanyacj
I, too, have to say don't stop tithing!!! I can't think of chapter and verse of the top of my head but the Bible does say that God will reward you 10,000 fold.

I am saying don't stop tithing from experience!!!! I found that I can't afford not to tithe. It is unexplainable as to how much God blesses when you follow Him.

So i am assuming that the poor are not well rewarded by this God figure?? that would explain their living sitjuation I guess...

think b4 you post!

First of all, I am not religious and therefore my post will be a bit biased

In this sentence, which says it all I would agree with you..tithing would mean absolutely nothing to you. For those of us who do follow God's calling (which the original poster says she does, so many of our answers were based on that), we realize the church has to be supported, and what the Bible says and believe it...and for a believer, it's important to follow the Bible on tithing. I personally know of no one who faithfully tithes that has gone without important needs. That said, for some, a trip to Disney may be more important than tithing..and in that case, tithing wouldn't be very important at all.
Some of us also don't feel it's an astonomical amount. I'm happy our Pastor is paid and doesn't need a second job (since the first is a hard one), I've seen the church electric bill and the mortage, and I know how much our church supports missions and the needy (some kids who have never been to Disney, but need money for medicine and food). For some of us, that's important : )
I get to do both..and for that I'm grateful.

I think others have more than covered the tithing aspect of your question, so on the budget ideas to help you out:

Don't forget to look around your house for books that might sell on Amazon (they don't charge a fee to list like eBay so you only have to pay them if an item sells). I've had really good luck with this and donated books that weren't worth listing there to the library so others could enjoy them (also a nice tax deduction).

Sounds like you have the makings of a great garage sale/eBay sales. You'll probably be surprised how much of a dent that can make in your debt load. Kids clothes/toys REALLY do well and you probably have a lot of that kind of stuff. We made about $350 at our recent sale and that kind of money would go a long way toward eliminating your problem.

You might reconsider a short-term part-time job. Could you possibly work just weekends somewhere as Christmas help (that season is approaching fast)? I know last year about this time I got a job at Kohl's working just one or two shifts a week. It wasn't a lot of money, but I also got a nice employee discount which went a long way toward stretching the Christmas present budget AND would also help with the clothing budget issue you mentioned. I quit after the Christmas season since I'm expecting DS soon and was too tired to keep up with it, but it was actually kind of fun at the time.

Wishing you a lot of luck!:sunny:

So i am assuming that the poor are not well rewarded by this God figure??

Poor people also tithe. Their tithe might be much lower, but a tithe is a tithe. Some may give their tithe in vegetables, some may only give pennies.
But this was why I wondered if this belonged on the budget board : (

Don't forget to look around your house for books that might sell on Amazon (they don't charge a fee to list like eBay so you only have to pay them if an item sells).

Especially this time of year, for home schoolers!

<<So i am assuming that the poor are not well rewarded by this God figure?? that would explain their living sitjuation I guess...

think b4 you post!>>

Okay, I am thinking b4 I post!!!! I still say that if 2 yrs ago, as a believer, if she felt convicted to tithe she should continue. I understand that you don't believe the way she does, that doesn't make it wrong.

Most ppl would consider me poor. I qualify for government assistance; I've never taken it!!!! As long as I am tithing, I'm taken care of...plus I've took my kids to DW and am planning another. Believers will agree that you reap what you sow. So, yes, that explains some ppl's living situation.

No flames at you--but I will respond to your post.

Originally posted by Goobergal99
Alright I am preparing myself for the flames on this one....

First of all, I am not religious and therefore my post will be a bit biased, however I can't see saying to my child "Hey sweety, were not going to disney this year because I'm contributing an astronomical percentage of my income to a non taxed organization so they can pay off their sexual abuse law suits!!"

We live locally--and you can see in my signature that we are waiting until she grows 1/2" She has been plenty of times and she knows that she wants to go on splash mountain and can go when she is tall enough. We had an annual pass last year, so disney is a "way of life" but it is also a treat not to be taken lightly. If we can only afford to go one day when that is time, then we just pay for one day--or just one parent takes her instead of both of us. She is quite used to very short trips anyway and as long as she is packing a suitcase, then grandma's house is fine. And your comment isn't very helpful as you made an assumption of what my church does with its money.

I'm sorry but I would never, ever, ever go into debt over a church, a religious belief or if he so does exist, God himself. I would say cut down on the money you give to the church, believe me they are far from hurting financially. Then pay off your credit cards and maybe take some online courses at home, this way you will have the education necessary to make more then minimum wage if and when you should ever decide to work. If your finances are limited, apply for state and federal grants to assist you. I got all the way through college on grants and am only able to continue in graduate school, because of the scholarships I earned while an undergrad.

I did not get into debt over giving money away. We got into debt being materialistic. Our finances were fine until recent events made them a little topsy turvy and have caused me to evaluate what we choose to spend money on.

And again, you are assuming what my church is doing with its money.

I have a college education. I can make above minimum wage, but it requires me to work a day job. After the expenses of childcare, travel, clothing, et cetera--I made $1 an hour after my first daughter was born. We have two now--so I'd be lucky to pay their expenses. Our finances are not "limited", just in the short-term at present and only b/c we need to shift around our priorities. Our family would not qualify for grants even if furthering my education would have any benefit--but thank you for that suggestion.

Good luck with whatever decision you make! :D

Thanks so much for your response :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter